Old 12-12-2005, 10:06 PM   #1  

Default Hiya... a question?

OK... a friendly tour guide told me to come over here since Im sorta lost!

I have a question... maybe someone here has the answer? Is it possible to not eat enough and still be overweight? I've been counting calories for awhile now and I stay under 1200 calories and yet I'm 200 lbs..... so what gives? Granted, I have my bad days but not that many. I have to dip down to less than 900 calories a day to actually lose any weight! Now, I KNOW thats not right.

I went to Slim Fast and did a nutrition plan and they said I should be eating around 1200-1300 calories a day and another place had it at 1600!! I just can't imagine eating that much food.

Soooooo the question is that I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that some people actually have to eat more to lose weight. Is that true? Have you guys ever heard of that?

OH I should add that my calories are pretty much junk, lol, bread, bread, and more bread. These menus consist of meats and veggies *gags* LOL.

Thanks!
Lissa68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:08 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 7"

Lissa,

Most of the time counting calories is an excellent way to lose weight. I was on that plan when I was in High School. It depends on what you are eating though. I was eating 3 solid meals, from the 4 basic food groups. I lost alot of weight that way. Sometimes, depending on your body, I have heard that some people have to eat 5 - 6 small meals or 3 small meals and 2 -3 snacks because of blood sugar or whatever. My best suggestion though would be to talk to your doctor. Ask him/her what would be best for you.

Good luck! For support come join us on the week of. . . thread. That is usually "chat". We change to a new thread every Sunday. Im sure you will enjoy it.
lppennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:09 AM   #3  

Ewwwww doctors! Am I the only one who is too ashamed of being "fat" to go to a doctor? I won't even go to the dentist because I don't want anyone to see me this way. I've pretty much ditched all social activity and everything because I hate being so bloated.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:37 AM   #4  

Bread .. and junk... nutritionally suck!
slowly change some of these things to something a little more wholesome!

your energy levels will drop , and you will feel awfull living on just bread and junk.

1200 calories is probably the lowest anyone should go, after that you will lose lean body muscle.
Put the cals up to the 1600 but try to make some of it "healthy"
and you should still lose steadily, and get some more energy and zing back!
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:46 AM   #5  

LOL thanks, I should have said that bread and junk is what I want to eat but I do try to make healthier choices. Right now Im on a beef stew kick.... I don't like meats or veggies and its a way for me to eat them every day and not really taste them haha.

I actually had 1100 calories yesterday ok.... MOST of it was a starbucks mocha but I did have a bowl of stew and I was proud of that healthy choice. Today Im staying home so the nutrition will be better... no starbucks at home!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:07 AM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi Lissa...have you tried logging what you eat into something like FitDay? (click on the link in my signature) It really helps me with being able to see if I am getting the right kind of nutrients...I aim for 40% calories from carbs, and 30% each of fats and proteins...I agree with icedragon about at least 1200 calories a day...but maybe even more important for your metabolism could be exercise? Maybe start slow if you haven't been exercising - a 15 minute walk? Then build it up...it does wonders for your metabolism, mood....and so on and so on....

And lay off the Starbucks....I make coffee at home and add fat free 1/2 & 1/2 and sugar free Toriani syrup - they make a bunch of flavors...

Congrats on your loss so far!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:08 AM   #7  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Lissa, welcome! You will not lose weight if you don't eat enough. Your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to all the fat it can! Check this site out to find out what your daily caloric needs are, based on your height/weight/age: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:21 PM   #8  

Lisa, just trying to make better choices is a great start!
sometimes it takes a while for the taste buds to come around to the healthier things, i always was brought up on my veges and health foods (as well as the junk) so i can eat almost anything!!
My best friend came over for dinner and we had a stir fry, she picked out all the bean sprouts and veges.. " sorry i don't eat all this feral s**t.
So i can take it for granted that some people do struggle with eating veges and salad.
give it time! and take it one step at a time, I always struggle with fruit, we never ate a lot of fruit growing up! and for me to pick up and apple and eat it.. takes will power! i don't mind the taste, just don't have the habit to reach for fruit first.

stew is good, you can really hide the veges in it! or try getting low fat mince, grating up carrot and zuchinni and adding tomato paste for a spaghetti sauce!
i do that to fool the kids! they don't even notice.
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote