Old 07-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 108/105.8/60 kgs

Height: 5 foot 6

Default Short irregular periods - weight loss induced?

Hi, I'm 38 and am suddenly experiencing irregular periods. The last cycle was just 2 weeks.
I lost a lot of weight a few years ago and also noticed some irregularity then, missed cycles, etc. I read that sometimes weight loss triggers oestrogen dumping which can mess things up.

On the other hand it could be perimenopause, or even cancer.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing, and what should I do?

PS I have no kids.
sonickel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:05 PM   #2  
Earning back my muscles

S/C/G: 184/184/size 8

Height: 5'5

I'd go in and get everything checked out for peace of mind. I just had a full work up at my gyn due to heavy periods, and it wasn't that bad. I wasn't even due for my pap yet.

She ordered blood work to test hormones and an ultra sound and a biopsy. Everything is normal and I feel so so much better and am so relieved! It was worth it the extra time and hassle. I'm sure it's nothing, but definitely worth getting checked out

Last edited by HIheart; 07-22-2015 at 10:06 PM.
HIheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:32 PM   #3  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

I had an irregular period and the doctor ended up testing thyroid...which was abnormal. so I'd have a checkup with your doctor and get some blood work done. could be stress related and nothing to worry about as well, you never know.

edit: I also had thought weight loss was what caused my irregular periods...

Last edited by kisskiss; 07-22-2015 at 10:37 PM.
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:07 PM   #4  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I would definitely go have it checked out with your doctor. I know perimenopause can start years ahead of menopause but 38 still seems kind of young. There are both blood and urine tests to determine your hormone levels and how close you are to menopause.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 142.2 kg / 124.8 kg / 100 kg

I tried the Ketogenic Diet for a while and it did mess up my period. I am on HBC and I had spotting during my cycle and my withdrawl bleed wasn't "normal" (much heavier than normal).
Sternchen1985 is offline   Reply With Quote