Old 09-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 230/150/150

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone! Fit before 40 sounds like a great goal for me as well. I'm in my mid-30's now, and I'm hoping to lose the weight in a year or so, but there will still be a long way to go after that to be truly in shape! I'm hoping by 40 to be in top form. I have never been fit my whole life, and I think it would be a wonderful gift to myself to shape up for real.

Just started a few weeks ago, and I'm trying to walk more, and swim. I'm getting much more exercise than before, because I got basically none previously. I can't exercise for long periods either, so I'm just trying to do what I can, when I can.

I did have to give up soda completely. I had a major addiction, and though I have tried limiting myself to one or two per day, it never lasts more than a few days. So this time I decided to just stop cold turkey. The first week was rough, but now I'm not even tempted. I do drink coffee though, it would have made it much harder if I couldn't get some caffeine somewhere, haha.

Congrats on the 5 pounds, BabyMama37!
LesGetFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #17  
Fit by 50

S/C/G: 243/243/130

Height: 5'5"

LetsGetFit - HI! Wow, way to go on cutting out soda completely. I wonder if I should try to trick my senses into coffee. But I'd probably load it with so much sugar and cream and chocolate that I'd be better off with my Coke! lol

Now that our family vacations are over, life seems to be getting somewhat sedentary again. I got my kids bikes finally, but now my tire is flat. grr. School is starting soon, which means even more busy time with homework and such. I really need to get myself moving daily.

We just got an xbox with kinect, and I am pretty excited about that. We have a Wii already, but it will be nice not to have to hold a controller. Next up is to move the livingroom around so we actually have room to play. My son says it came with an exercise "game", so I am curious to try it.

LetsGetFit - want to be buddies? Similar ages and similar stating points and goals (150 is really my goal, but I have dreams of 135 lol).
BabyMama37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:34 AM   #18  

@BabyMama37 You should talk to your doctor about Inositol supplements. They can be purchased over the counter and the research is really positive. Some studies point to it being more effective than Metformin, but I don't think you can take the two together.
lisse24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #19  
Fit by 50

lisse24 - what is inositol for? I suppose I could just google it lol
Old 09-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #20  
Fit by 50

Lisse24 - just googled it. It might be worth looking into. Honestly, I haven't been diagnosed with PCOS (to my knowledge) although I know my aunt has it. I just was having irregular periods for a while and breakthrough bleeding. When she put me on the metformin because I had a borderline high sugar level (one time and I told her I had a coke on an empty stomach before the appt) as a preventative because my mom and grandfather have diabetes. My sugar levels have been fine on and off the metformin, but on the metformin, which I only take once daily, my periods regulated. So, we decided that I would just stay on it once a day.

I do have major depression and anxiety, and I see that inositol is indicated for this, but with my low dose of lexapro, I do really well. Honestly, The myriad of vitamins, minerals, and supplements I take already cost me an arm and a leg. Prescriptions do not. Interesting how that works, isn't it?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #21  

BabyMama37- I would love to be buddies! No one I know is trying to lose weight or shape up, and it would be nice to have a friend on the same path. That's why I joined this site, and it seems to be helping so far.

Oh, and about the coffee, I do sweeten mine and add a little half and half. I use simple syrup and try to use the least amount possible, but I definitely need a little sugar. It works about to be about half the calories of a Starbucks sweetened iced coffee or a glass of coke. I drink one in the morning and one in the afternoon, and try to drink 5-6 bottles of water each day. A few weeks ago, I was drinking almost a two liter of coke each day, plus the iced coffees, with no water. So it's an improvement, but one day I may have to let go of the sugar in my coffee as well. I will take it one step at a time, haha.

Last edited by LesGetFit; 09-01-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #22  
Fit by 50

LetsGetFit - Awesome! I joined the site to try to get some get fit companions, but I haven't had much luck. I've had people say sure - but then never hear from them again. lol such is life. I even suggested making a group on FB or something - to stay in touch better, but that was a fail. Never even got to try.

For me, the hard part about switching to coffee is that I hate it and I am not overly fond of hot drinks to begin with. I haven't tracked how much water I have been drinking, but it's a fair bit, because that is pretty much all I drink when I am not at work now, and even at work I drink a couple of bottles of water between my 2 cokes.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #23  

Oh I am drinking all my coffee iced. I love iced coffee, and drink it all year except for the very coldest part of winter, when I will switch to hot coffee haha. And good for you on the water! As long as you are drinking that and limiting the coke, you should be fine. My problem was I just couldn't limit myself. One coke a day would turn into two, and in a few days I was always right back to drinking it nonstop.

I added you to my buddy list here, and I'm also on the lose it app under the same name. I was going to pm you to trade some other contact info, but apparently I won't be able to send a private message until I've been here for 20 days, haha.

Last edited by LesGetFit; 09-01-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #24  
Fit by 50

LetsGetFit, hmmm how to get around the PM issue? Maybe that is why I didn't get any buddies before lol
Old 09-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #25  
Fit by 50

LesGetFit - I just realized that I was putting an extra "t" in there I'm going to try making an account with lose it - does it allow you to PM people?
Old 09-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #26  

It definitely allows messaging, but I'm not sure it's only public messages or private as well. I've been using it for a few weeks to track my calories, but I just started using the social aspect of it and adding a few friends. It does seem to help watching what other people are doing. It tells you every time any of your friends workout, weigh in, and how many calories they are eating. Seems helpful and motivating so far.

Edited to add: Apparently you need someone's email address to look them up. Mine is my full name which is why I was trying to avoid putting it in the forum, haha. But if you go to the social tab in the lose it app, and then pick groups, you can find a couple groups that I have posted in and click on my name and add me that way. If you look at the group called "Welcome Wagon", mine is still the most recent post. Probably the easiest way to add me. But we should also both get private messaging on this forum pretty soon, and we can trade emails or numbers or whatever is best to keep in touch and motivate each other.

Last edited by LesGetFit; 09-01-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #27  
Fit by 50

LesGetFit - I found you on Lose it and sent you a friend request. yay!