Old 07-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/260/160

Height: 5'4

Default Any Working Single Moms here?

Hi there, I see posts for SAHM's but wondering if there are any single moms in here? I know staying at home with your children is a full time + overtime job as well, but wondering what other single moms do to work in exercise and proper eating. I typically work 60 hours a week and my (usually) one day off is dedicated to spending with my daughter. I find myself having NO motivation to go to the gym (even when my daughter asks to go!). Trying to figure out what I can do to kick myself in the rear and get myself back on the right track.
NevadaRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

I am!
How old is your daughter? what do you do with her when you go to work? Daycare, family babysitter, etc..?

To be blunt, you have to WANT IT, and thats that. Can you drop your daughter off earlier in the morning before work with whoever watches her during the day so you can go to the gym? Or do you not WANT to wake up earlier to work out? Vice versa, can she stay an extra hour or 45 minutes AFTER work so you could workout then? Are you willing to sacrifice an hour of sleep to get in workout time?
OR, you could always do your workout at home in the morning/after work, so her daycare schedule isnt a factor... you can do exercise DVDs, or use a piece of cardio equipment at home, or whatever before she even wakes up.

But bottom line, if your primary goal is FATLOSS, then you do not have to exercise. at all. Fatloss is 100% diet. Yes, exercise for health and fitness, but you do NOT need to train to lose fat.

Im a single mom with an 11 year old daughter. She has no father, my parents are dead, and so on, so i have NO family or outside support to help me with her. I exercise while shes sleeping (usually), even if that means having to wake up at 4 am to get a run in.... Id rather do that, than take away time from her when shes awake, like after work. Now, shes old enough to be home alone for a bit though. But ive been a single mom her entire life
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I am too. I work about 60 hours a week as well, and I have a four (almost five) year old. My daughter is so familiar with my office that it's sad, but she's patient and can keep herself busy when I drag her back to the office at night and on weekends. What a trooper!

The only time I have to workout is in the morning when she's asleep. I can't leave her home alone, so I have to workout at home with weights/DVDs until she gets a little older. My gym doesn't have childcare, so that's reserved for rare days when she's with her dad or grandparents. We do try to go for walks, etc, but she can only handle a few miles so we need to bring a stroller.

It's possible to balance it all, but not easy.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Hi there.....I am a single working mom, well had been for a long while before I met my fiance. We live together now and he is a big help. Prior to him though, I was finishing up grad school and working full time. I have no family close by. His dad is in the picture, but is in the military and deploys often.....so essentially, I was doing everything solo (short of his monetary support).

That aside, I try to get up in the morning to exercise because I know that afternoons are homework, cooking, relaxing time. My son is 11 now and will be in middle school next year (time flies).

Bottom line is you CAN do this.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
My daughter is so familiar with my office that it's sad, but she's patient and can keep herself busy when I drag her back to the office at night and on weekends. What a trooper!
Oh yeah, I used to do that too....before my son was old enough for me to feel OK Leaving him home, he came with me to work.....many many times!
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/260/160

Height: 5'4

Thanks for all of the encouraging words! And yes, my biggest oppurtunity is when she is sleeping early in the mornings (it's just so hard to tell my brain that getting up early is what's good for me!! ).
I'm going to work to make it a major priority. I know once I start it will be much easier to work it into my schedule, it's just starting that is my biggest issue right now.
My daughter is 6, her dad is rarely around (which is fine with me) and luckily I have my mom to help with child care. She is very supportive so I know she will help any way she can, I just have to ask!
Here's to getting up in the morning and getting my butt moving!!
thanks again
NevadaRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/181/115

Height: 5'3"

Hello Ladies,

I am also a single mom who works full-time. I have an 8 yr old and a 6 yr old daughter. I set up the threadmill in the living room. It's not attractive, but you have to do what you have to do. I think is good for my daughters to see me exercise, so they learn that exercise is important. How is everyone doing?
PrettyMom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #8  
Warrior Princess

Single working mom here. My son is 9 so that makes things a lot easier since he's old enough now to entertain himself for a while while I exercise. I work out at night at home. I'm not a morning person at all.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #9  
Laura

Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest! Tacoma, Washington

S/C/G: 330/268/150

Thumbs up

I'm not a mom but I share a house with my sister who has a 2 yr old boy and this Auntie does lots of babysitting because my sis works about 4 days a week and goes to school full time.

I just wanted to give encouragement to you single moms because I know its rough. Today I was frustrated because I had to hop off the treadmill twice to deal with the kiddo and then I didn't dare leave him alone long enough to get in the shower after my workout for fear he'd get into something.

Just wanted to give you ladies props! Keep up the good work!
Chubbygirl253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #10  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

Just wanted to give a big to all of you Moms out there!! I've been there, done that...started my WL journey back in 2003 when I was newly single + FT Job + 2 children ages 1 and 4... it's not easy and I won't pretend it was. I got up before work and did exercise videos that I checked out from the library...tried to get the kids involved in meal prep, taking walks, etc...but over all it was one of the hardest things ever!

The second time I lost my beloved extra pounds (I must love them b/c I gained it back!) I was married + 4 kids + home daycare. I think the only thing that made it any easier was the support from my husband.

And that's what we're here for - support! So, single or married, kids or not, you CAN do it!! We are here for you.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/174/135

Height: 5'5

Default SM Too

Hi Ladies-
I'm a single mom to a 4 year old son and thankfully by me my gym offers babysitting at $2.00/hr. It's only available at certain hours of the day but still it's a big help! I also enjoy exercising at night. When he goes to bed, I go on the old elliptical even if it's for a minimum of 10 minutes but I've made it a habit in the last week or so.
Michieanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #12  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Hello ladies! I too am a single working parent and I also attend college. When I first started doing this I had so many reasons why I couldnt but to be honest its something YOU have to want AND be willing to work for it. I found a gym that my son can come too with me and they have a play area for children. Before joining the gym I walked during my lunch brake for 45 mins 5 days per week. I walked off my first 25-30lbs. You can do it u just have to find a way and make a way. You can get DVD vids and workout in the comfort of your own home. There are many ways to stay in this. I have a George Foreman grill and I love it its def been helpful on this journey because I hate to cook.

YOu can do it but You have to believe it! Come here for support it helps me a lot
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote