Old 02-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/170/130

Height: 5'2"

Default What meat instead of lamb?

I have a recipe that calls for boneless lamb lions, 1 pound, in a library book. What do I use instead? Will chicken work out okay? Or should i use beef stew meat? It's a vegetable curry dish. I don't even know what curry is exactly but the recipe looks pretty good and my husband and I are willing to give it a try (without the lamb in it)
meowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've interchanged many different proteins with good results. Beef or chicken would likely both work out well. Beef and lamb have a more similar flavor, but chicken should work fine in the dish (I prefer dark meat chicken in curries, I think they stand up to the flavor better, and can be simmered longer without drying out the meat - but that's my preference).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #3  
Yay for 2nd chances!

S/C/G: 235/needs a new scale/135

Height: 5'7"

Is there a reason you don't want to use lamb?
Aiesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Lamb is a pretty tender meat, yes you can do beef, you might need to adjust cooking time though so you don't overcook the meat or undercook it.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:26 AM   #5  

Thank you very much all! I'll add your notes to my grocery list so we'll be prepared on Sunday.

It's probably a really lame reason and one most people will probably just roll their eyes and laugh at me for, but I just... can't.. eat lamb. I don't know why but just the very idea of it just upsets me and sets off an anxiety problem. I can eat beef, chicken, turkey no problem but when it comes to lamb I just cannot handle it. I don't have an aversion to sheep though. I buy wool on Etsy now and then from people who get it from their sheep or alpacas, spin it, crochet with it, wear what I make (eventually when I spin enough because I'm really slow at it still).. but I can't actually *eat* lamb. One of those things that makes me... me I guess
Old 02-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I made gyro seasoned ground beef and ground lamb with flour tortillas when my sisters were in highschool. They loved it, until I mentioned that there was lamb in it.

They were horrified because it was "baby animal," and I explained that most lamb is actually "young adult" sheep. Older sheep is "mutton" and is less tender and has a stronger flavor.

I'm the oddball in my family, because I love lamb (and goat is even better). I wish lamb, mutton and goat were easier to find (and less expensive when I do find it).

Last edited by kaplods; 02-13-2010 at 04:52 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:39 AM   #7  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowy View Post
I have a recipe that calls for boneless lamb lions, 1 pound, in a library book. What do I use instead? Will chicken work out okay? Or should i use beef stew meat? It's a vegetable curry dish. I don't even know what curry is exactly but the recipe looks pretty good and my husband and I are willing to give it a try (without the lamb in it)
Ah... the wonders of curry! Very yummy stuff! I love butter chicken (which has no butter in it at all) and beef vindaloo. It's very difficult to mess up curry.

For curry, you can substitute any kind of meat; if you don't like or can't find lamb, give beef or chicken a try. You can even throw in prawns/shrimp if you like. Since you're going to be simmering it, you can use cheaper cuts of beef or chicken; it'll tenderise as you cook. I'm going to use lamb neck chops in my next curry- they came with the lamb we had knocked on the head and while you don't get much meat, the meat is super super tender after being in a slow cooker for a few hours.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #8  

Thank you all so much

I'm glad you told me we could do the cheaper ones! My husband and I aren't very good when it comes to knowing what to buy in the butcher aisle and red meats, we eat a lot of chicken and fish hehe

I'll write that down on the shopping list so we don't forget this afternoon