Old 01-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/190/145

Height: 5'3

Default Weighing Yourself

I know this question has probably been asked about a billion times, but just wondering how often everyone else weighs themselves.

Our scale is in the bathroom and typically I do it daily. I wish I could stop doing it so often, but I like to see every little change up or down. I am thinking about taking it out of the bathroom and putting it under my husband's side of the bed.
sockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I weigh once a day, AM. One of my mistakes was not weighing daily. I lost accountability. This time around I record everything I eat and weigh daily (if possible). Travelling exempted for scale but not journal.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #3  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

I totally agree with Karen. In the morning, after the bathroom, nekked. I need that accontability to keep me on a downward trend. Otherwise, I'll just pretend everything is fine and keep shoveling that food in. But if I start seeing a slight increase, it's easier to get back on track then if I let it go for a month.
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/190/145

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbySinthe View Post
I totally agree with Karen. In the morning, after the bathroom, nekked. I need that accontability to keep me on a downward trend. Otherwise, I'll just pretend everything is fine and keep shoveling that food in. But if I start seeing a slight increase, it's easier to get back on track then if I let it go for a month.
This is exactly what I do! I just wasn't sure if it was me being obsessive or not! Thanks!
sockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/152/120

Height: 5'6"

I weigh every day for the accountability. I don't panic if I gain a pound or so b/c it's probably water (as long as I've been staying under my calories), and I don't celebrate anything less than 2lbs off because that could also be water. I tend to get off track when I celebrate. =) Sometimes I weigh myself more than once a day, especially after I go on long runs to be sure I'm replacing all the lost water.

And other times, if I've lost 5 lbs or so recently, I just like to weigh myself just to see that beautiful, lower number. =))))
Lizzie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: see WT

Height: 5'6''

i weigh every day, in the morning, right out of bed. but, i know our bodies have their own rythm, so i don't take what i see on the scale for granted since it can be demotivating. so, i weigh every day, but only saturday morning is what i take seriously and change the number on my weight tracker.
quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #7  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

I, too, need the accountability - but I go M, W, F. The number on Monday is the one I record.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/191/155

Height: 5'8"

I thought I was being obsessive by weighing every morning, but my nutritionist said that people that track their weight daily have a better weight loss percentage. I definitely notice a difference when I'm not checking the numbers each morning...I'm not accountable, and I lose sight of the goal. Weighing in helps keep my eye on the prize :-)
staffingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #9  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

I try to weigh myself everyday on WII fit, but sometimes I don't get upstairs (where the WII fit is) in the morning. So I only count the morning weights. I see differences (gains) up to 4 pounds when I weigh myself at night....

Last edited by AFChick; 01-08-2010 at 04:01 PM.
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Using the scale can be an obsessive trap at once a month, or it can be an appropriately used tool at 6 times a day.

It's not the number of times you weigh, it's what you do and say to youself in response to the scale results.

For me, weighing at least twice a day works best. I write down the morning weight, considering it my "official" weight for the day. I also weigh right before bed.

The bedtime weigh-in has a two-fold purpose. For one thing, it helps me avoid snacking if I wake up during the night (I don't know why - it just does. I guess I don't want to "ruin" my morning weigh-in). Secondly, it helps me track water retention and other fluctuation factors.

If there's a huge discrepancy between the morning weight and the evening weight, that I can't account for with calories or the weight of the food I've eaten- it may mean I'm retaining water. For example, if I lose less than two pounds from the night before (having eaten nothing in between) - it almost always means I'm retaining water, which reminds me to drink more water that day.

To determine whether your scale use is healthy, you don't really have to consider the number. Instead, imagine that the scale is a person - who is in charge? You or the scale? Are you using the scale for your benefit? Or do you feel like a victim of the scale. Is your day ruined if the scale doesn't give you what you want?

Remember you're in charge, and I think whichever number that is - is perfectly fine.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #11  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Once a day, in the morning, empty and naked!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #12  
Shrewkate the Study Geek

S/C/G: 227 / 217 / 200 (TEN!! WHEE!!)

I cannot agree with Kaplods enough. I was on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off the scale a lot -- multiple times a day. It was starting to get obsessive in the Bad Way, and so I gave it to my roommate and said 'I can have it twice a week.'

It's -there,- and I can get on it -- but I don't have to.
shrewkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 156/156/120

Height: 5'4"

I think I am going to do it daily. I think if I think about it more I will be more energized about it.

It can get to be an obsession. When I was in my early twenties, I had an eating problem and I bet you all I weighed myself 30 times a day. It was ridiculous.
kringla is offline   Reply With Quote