Old 06-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #1  

Default When you find yourself 'stuck', what do you do?

I am trying not to freak out but now I'm starting to freak out. I joined a challenge for the summer to keep me motivated and moving. I'm totally motivated and I've been working hard. I upped my exercise by adding weight training 3 days per week (about 35 minutes per session). I also do 5 days of cardio for 45 min.- 1 hour.

My eating has been okay- I think. I've been eating the same way I've been eating through the loss of the 30 lbs. but it is clearly not working. The day after I added weight training my weight went up by a couple pounds overnight. I thought it was water weight but instead my weight is up and STAYING up. It's been 10 days! Obviously I have to re-lose the darn pounds and I'm pissed. I wish I wouldn't have started weight training- it's messed everything up.

So, I'm in this challenge. I'm motivated to do well and I'm working hard. The first week I got to show a stinkin' GAIN and I'm still basically floating around in the same weight range so I'm unlikely to show a loss at the next weigh in either. This is NOT what I had planned. I can feel myself freaking out and I don't want to freak out. I feel like I'm failing when everyone else is succeeding and I'm not sure why I can't move forward.

I'm not after huge losses each week, I'm totally cool with half a pound a week but this mysteriously gaining weight then NOT being able to lose it is really starting to get me discouraged. I can't 'quit' because then I REALLY start gaining and all the work I'm doing right now is for nothing. I feel so stuck! Work hard for nothing or give up and get even fatter than I was before. I'm in a tunnel- someone help me see the 3rd alternative that my freaked out self is missing.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 223/213/199

Height: 5'6"

Sounds to me like you're just gaining muscle...not fat...so to speak b/c you've added weight training. Just keep at it all...you'll get there!
Wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #3  

I am with you, Bin! I lost my first week and then started adding weights and BAM! Nothing....FOR 3 WEEKS! I am discouraged too but I really think that if I keep it up, next week, I'll lose. I can feel my muscles and know I am building those. Try envisioning your fat melting away and having nice toned muscles underneath. All those muscles will be burning fat faster than just doing cardio. Just give it a few more weeks. Take measurements (I bet you are losing inches). That should keep you motivated and moving forward. Keep it up, girl! You are doing AWESOME!!!
laurie2275 is offline   Reply With Quote