Old 05-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

Default OT online dating

going along the lines of making new friends, i was also wondering about meeting men.
I have a profile on one of the online dating sites, but i'm not real sure about the whole on-line dating scene. I don't currently subscribe, so i can't contact anyone, and i'm hesitant to spend the money at the same time because i dont' know if it's worth it. I know a few couples that met on line, so i know good things can happen. but i'm still wary of it.
I met one guy on line , we went out 2 or 3 times, but we weren't really a match i guess---too much alike

there are one or 2 men that have sent me messages, and i'm kind of interested in talking more, but i've never had anything really happen from an online dating contact. but i can't respond to them unless i pay the monthy fee...

anyone have any other experience with online dating sites?
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #2  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Have you tried plentyoffish.com? It's totally free (even to contact people who are interested in you), and one of the things I like about the site is that you can screen who contacts you...

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 05-09-2009 at 09:47 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:52 PM   #3  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

i met my hubby threw a online dating site..it worked for us. Plentyoffish.com, is absolutly free. just be careful, dont give out presonal information, and take your time.

ang
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:00 AM   #4  
Beware the Harpie

S/C/G: 225.4/ticker/145

Height: 5' 5"

My boyfriend (of 3 years) and I met on Yahoo personals. Like everyone else said, just take your time and make sure that you're comfortable with the person.
CelticHarpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #5  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Kae, DH & I met online through matchmakers.com. We both did a free 2 wk. trial. Go for it, just be sensible.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #6  
Chi-town's finest!

S/C/G: 308/302/150

Height: 5'3"

I know people who have found love online. As with any relationship, take your time & don't give out personal info too far in advance.
nonabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #7  

Online relationships can be successful BUT you really have to get to the know the person inside and out away from the computer. Many people fluff their profiles and tend to really believe it themselves. I learned the hard way as I recently woke up and smelled the coffee to end a 3.5 year "relationship" with my ex-fiance. There are many imposters out there so please be very careful and sensible. As with any relationship, take your time. As my Dad would say, "Look before you leap!" Good luck!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #8  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
Have you tried plentyoffish.com? It's totally free (even to contact people who are interested in you), and one of the things I like about the site is that you can screen who contacts you...
+1. I met my current BF (now 1.5 years) on PlentyofFish. It's completely free and HUGE! The forums there are also great when you're bored.

I second SunshineCA's recommendation of getting to know the person away from the computer. My BF is 40 minutes away, but I met him in person within 2 weeks of first contact and now see him at least 4 days a week.

I've had Long Distance Relationships in the past. You never *really* get to know the person without spending significant amounts of time together in the flesh. I wasted a year on a guy who was too far away to be with more than twice a month or so. If I'd spent more time with him, I'd have ditched him within the first month or two.

Last edited by rocketbunny; 06-10-2009 at 02:20 PM.
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I'm married but I am alllll about free. Good idea Ladies!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #10  
On a journey

S/C/G: 376/we'll see/180

Height: 5'2"

I met my boyfriend of 2+ years on craigslist. Just be open and honest and careful. As long as you are true to yourself and the other person you can find the right one.

Good luck!
NorCal Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #11  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I met my boyfriend (now live in) via match.com

So far we have been together (as a couple) for 1 year. Things are great. I met a lot of really cool guys on there & I also met a few jerks who lied about wanting a relationship when they only wanted to "hook up".
My friend recently used match.com and met a great guy...who decided 2 months into a "relationship" that he wasn't ready. Um...then why the heck did you create a dating profile? Idiot! Anyway, just be careful & take it slow. I have found that you get to many "dead ends" on the free websites. I would suggest signing up for a free one and also something like match.com or eharmony. That way you have more options. Just do it for 3 months & see how you feel. You can always cancel if you find it isn't working.
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaJubilee View Post
I also met a few jerks who lied about wanting a relationship when they only wanted to "hook up".

Any tips or red flags to avoid these types? I've chatted with a lot of guys (that said on their profile they were looking to date or for a longtermr) and thinking they were nice enough to try and meet in person only to find out they are just looking for "fun". It really made me leery of online dating now because it's so easy for guys to pretend online just to get what they want. It seems like meeting people off online you have to take it even slower than you would if you just met someone in real life.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #13  
On my way to a size 10!

Ringmaster...honesly, you just have to listen with your head and not let your heart run with all the BS they are spitting at you. One of the only ways I know to tell if they are full of sh*t...let them take you on a date. Do not kiss them or allow them to touch you inappropriately. If after the first date they call you again...go on the second date & only kiss them goodnite - if you want to. Then if they are still interested and ask you out again you can drop the wall a little, but I wouldn't "make out" with a guy I met online until I have spent a good amount of time with him...unless you are into being used.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #14  
On my way to a size 10!

I just want to say that not all guys are jerks and not all the guys you meet on there are only after a "little fun". So I don't want it to seem like I'm bashing. Just trying to help a "friend" out...
Old 06-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #15  

Here Here!

All wonderful advice! Especially regarding taking your time. Please take heed whether you meet someone face-to-face or online. Especially online!

Good careful luck to all of you!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote