3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Runners Thread 4/16-4/22 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/81889-runners-thread-4-16-4-22-a.html)

Stephanie Osborne 04-17-2006 12:00 PM

Runners Thread 4/16-4/22

Hey Girlies,
I am starting a running program and I noticed that numerous others here in 20 somethings are runners/jogger. I was thinking we should start a weekly thread...to talk about running, hold each other accountable for our runs etc...I have noticed there were a couple running related threads started this week and this might be easier.

So I guess I will start off

How long have you been running: Since Last Saturday (I am a baby runner)
Following any kind of program: I am following the couch to 5k program from coolrunning.com.
Training for anything: Just so I can say I did it! The program is geared toward being able to run a 5k in two months though, maybe I will look into one after that.
Running Schedule: 3 times a week...

lizzbabe 04-17-2006 12:53 PM

I post with the Cool Runners on the Exercise thread but it's good to have one here too.

How long have you been running: I took a Jogging for Fitness class in college but only seriously running about a year
Following any kind of program: I do 1 hill interval run, 1 speed run, 1 long run and a couple fun runs each week. Sort of my own program I guess.
Training for anything: 5-k this weekend, 10-k next month and then we'll see from there.
Running Schedule: 3 times a week on my own, twice with a friend.

denice81 04-17-2006 03:21 PM

sure, i'll jump on board here. I'm going to try the couch to 5k program too so this week will be my first try. I feel really out of shape though, so i might take it even slower that in suggests.

Stephanie Osborne 04-17-2006 03:41 PM

I noticed you did quite a bit of running lizz, there is a 5k coming up on May 5 I would love to try but since I am just a baby at running I do not know if I will be able to by then.

denice - I like the couch to 5k program because it says you can repeat weeks if you feel like you have not mastered them...

chicagoposter 04-17-2006 03:42 PM

sounds like a great idea. i love that site too. my running background....i was a pretty serious runner 4 years ago, running 5 miles five times a week. then i got mono and stopped. my dad ran a marathon this year, my sister, brother and i all ran an 8K at the beginning of this month. it was my first race and now i'm addicted. it's hard going back to the gym when i have such a beautiful lakefront to run by.

How long have you been running: This is the second period of time, but for about 2 months.
Following any kind of program: No specific program now, I'm trying to do a run 3 times a week outside by the lake (3-5 miles)
Training for anything: I just finished the 8K that I was training for. I'm thinking a 10K next, and maybe eventually a half marathon.
Running Schedule: 3 times a week (3-5 miles by the lake).

lizzbabe 04-17-2006 07:45 PM

stephie, I definitely think you could manage a 5-k by may 5th. I did my first race (5-k) with little formal training and although I was TIRED at the end I ran the whole thing and made decent time, too. Keep us posted on your progress!

I did 2.3 miles with a friend after work and almost died in this heat. I don't know how I ran all through july and august last year.

Pilatesgrl 04-17-2006 09:06 PM

Great thread! I jogged (VERY SLOWLY) for 25 mins without stopping...I couldve gone longer, but the wind was blowing against me so hard, I just got too tired! I hope to go for at least 25 mins, maybe even 30 tomorrow. I hope to run a 5k by june or so...

angeleyezx 04-18-2006 08:01 AM

this is a great idea! Just dont think Id keep to a programme that well

Alaynna 04-18-2006 08:10 AM

I love running/jogging, this sounds like a great idea, count me in!

How long have you been running: For about 2 months now
Following any kind of program: No I exercise at least an hour a day and eat the right foods
Training for anything:I am training to be smaller :)
Running Schedule: 5 days a week jogging/walking combo 30 mins to an hour a day. Weekends 30 mins jogging/walking combo

lizzbabe 04-18-2006 08:46 AM

Alaynna, I would be careful with the running everyday. It is very hard on your knees and cross-training or weights are great on "off-days". My cousin loved to run in college and afterwards and she ended up with arthritis before she turned 30! Just a thought since you're a "beginning" runner now, something to keep in mind. It is great exercise though I agree.

Sushi Penguin 04-18-2006 09:11 AM

I'm in as well. :)
I've been wanting to run for months, and finally started last December as part of a 21-Day Challenge. Did quite good, though I had to start really easy, it had been years since I did any running. Then in January I slacked, then started again in February, ran on and off in March and then went on a long trip and didn't run for over a month... Now I'm back from the trip and want to start running again. :) I'll use this thread as an additional motivator. :) I guess I'll have to start at 10 minutes again...

I'm running just because I want to, not training for anything, though I do want to improve my time and endurance. I usually run along a dirt road which is about 1.5 km long (so about a mile), and aim both for increasing the number of lenghts I do and for improving my time, though I focus more on how long I can run rather than how far. I improved from maybe one third or half lenght to 3-4, and improved my time by quite a bit, and the longest I ever ran in one stretch was 37 minutes.

junebug41 04-18-2006 09:30 AM

Where has this thread been all my life!!!

I have, probably because of all the stress I'm under, had the urge to just RUN. To just put on my sneakers and run my butt off. I can't ignore it. It's just there. It keeps me up at night. The elliptical just DOESN'T CUT IT ANYMORE. I'm ready to take the plunge. This former fat girl wants to be a runner!

Ross is a runner. He was also overweight as a kid and had to teach himself as an adult to run. So, seeing as how kind and knowledgeable he is, he is taking me to the track tomorrow to do some interval stuff. I am EXCITED! I would love to do a 5K in Glenwood in June, but I may need to set my sights on something just a little further down the road.

Stephanie. You are faublous. Keep it up, girl. And htanks for the thread!

junebug41 04-18-2006 09:32 AM

by the way, I just noticed that my av pic is of Ross and I at that 5k in Glenwood last year. He came in 3rd in his age group. To be honest, cheering from the sidelines sucks! I want to play, too!

Alaynna 04-18-2006 09:51 AM

I don't do hard core running 7 days a week, its a combo of jogging/walking and its in my upstairs of my house (i have a large area upstairs). I wouldn't over work my knees by running too much, it usually only 30 mins on the weekends a day so its 15 mins jogging and 15 mins walking.

spillthebeans 04-18-2006 10:50 AM

this is a timely thread for me.

I started a running program that I found in my Shape magazine. It's a month program that helps you run 5 miles by the end of the month.

I started it this month, but it calls for you to run four times a week, and since I"ve been so sore, and my body has really needed more recovery time. I haven't really kept to it. I am kind of doing my own variation, because I don't want to injure myself. My ultimate goal would be to be able to complete this program. Maybe next month.

for now, I just run at least 2-3 times, just listening to how my body feels.

I also weight train on my days off.

Who knew I would ever enjoy running/ jogging.