Old 04-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #1  
No More Excuses!

S/C/G: 240/225/165

Height: 5'6"

Default I Hate Scales!!

Ugh.. i stepped on the scale this morning and it said i had GAINED a pound! I have been eating well under the ammount of calories i need to lose weight, and exercising every day, and still i get this! Grr.. it so frustrating.. I wish i had taken my measurments so i would know if ive lost elsewhere.. Maybe ill buy a tape measure this payday.
And i know this weight gain could me muscle mass, or water retention (just started taking a new birthcontrol..) i just hope when i get on the scale the next few days im atelast down to 215 again. lol I have been exercising ALOT, and i went for a 3 mile walk yesterday which could mean i gained some extra muscle. ugh.. i just hate this! Its such a setback for me, because ive been loosing a lb every couple days u know? Oh well.. Guess i should go out and do more and less .. Guess i need a little

Marineswife85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #2  

hang in there. there's an article in the lifting forum (it's a sticky) that says why scales lie. you should take a look at it. it's not the be all end all. what matters is how you're feeling. do you feel stronger? is your energy up? those things are all important.
chicagoposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #3  
Melting Butter

No matter what you do you should always try to eat your daily calorie allowance and not try to cut it down. When you deprive yourself of food your body holds on to the fat and you don't burn it off. Your body thinks you're starving it and it then holds on to whatever it can get. I gained the most of my weight when I started eating little amounts of nothing.
Maybe someone else can explain that concept better than I can.

Oh, and congrats for your work on exercising...it's really paying off for you!
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #4  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

I have been going at it at the gym recently and i have also gained 1.8 pounds. Don't worry about it, just like you stated, it could be a number of things.

I suggest to buy that measuring tape. You can get one for under a dollar at craft stores.
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:24 PM   #5  
12 pounds lost in 2006

Like everyone said, don't worry about it. Your weight fluctuates from day to day. Keep up the exercise and the pounds and inches will start to come off.
mocha74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:16 PM   #6  
Smile- it confuses people

First off, congratulations for getting so much exercise! There could be a lot of little frustrating reasons that the scale is being stupid, including the hormones from birth control (I know I kept extra water-weight the first month, but that went away quickly). The really important thing to remember is that there are so many other reasons why nutrition and exercise are good for you, and for your health. Like they say around here, it really is about the lifestyle change, not just the weightloss, so be proud of yourself for what you're doing and wait for praise from the scale another day (soon!)
Bandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:24 AM   #7  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

with all due respect, losing a couple of pounds every other/couple of days is a lot - you could not keep it up forever. be proud with what you have achieved. try to weigh yourself a little more irregularly - it might help emotionally. as our weight fluctuates so much day to day having a set day and time might be a little more reliable. i would like to think so anyway.

keep up the good work heather

ETA - i think regardless of your recent weigh in - you have met your goal of 5lbs for the month, yeah? i mean 10lbs loss and you started on 26th March. that's incredible work!
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I noticed that you were also the one who posted about the salty taste in your mouth. Perhaps you are getting too much sodium from somewhere in your diet (believe me, it hides in places you'd never think to look! ), and that excess sodium sould cause water retention.

As a woman, you don't have enough testosterone to build a pound of muscle in a short amount of time, so I don't think that's the cause. However, when we work our muscles, they retain additional water afterwards during the healing process, so the added exercise could also be causing some water retention if you're doing enough strength training.

It's all so confusing, I know
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:29 PM   #9  
No More Excuses!

S/C/G: 240/225/165

Height: 5'6"

I know it could be a number of things, basically this post was just kinda a rant because it is frustrating. I dunno.. Im getting kinda scale obsessed again. I think i need to go back to weighing myself every weekend instead of almost daily.
I honestly think part of the gain may be from my birthcontrol. I was reading and it did say i may have some water retention becuase of the hormones or something like that. So im not really worried but sometimes it just annoying i guess lol.. Stupid scales lol
Marineswife85 is offline   Reply With Quote