Old 03-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #1  
It's 2014, I need help!

S/C/G: 298/298/180

Default does anyone else have this problem?

My biggest weakness is I compare myself to others.. physically. I always say 'I wish I could wear something like that.." or "I wish I could look THAT good".. and for the most part I convince myself I'm trying to get there, but the odd time I get discouraged. I have 90 more pounds to lose.. my goal is to wear a gorgeous evening gown on new years (I have a wedding to attend.) So obviously I won't lose all 90 by then, but I'd like to get down as much as I can..

..what does everyone do when they get discouraged??
Megan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #2  

Realize that everyone is different, and that you cannot justly compare yourself to other people. Besides, it's self-defeating, because the fact is you're not that other person, nor will losing weight make you that other person. Compare yourself to who you want to be (still yourself, but healthy) -- not with other people.

If you start feeling poorly about yourself because of an unlucky comparison like that, you're more likely to fall off the wagon... Instead of getting down on yourself, strenthen your resolve to do something about it! Go work out or choose a healthy snack or do something that makes you feel really good about being YOU.

britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #3  

Guilty as charged.

I try to be happy with who I am and I look forward to seeing myself in a smaller frame.

But... this is something that I'm super bad about. I don't say it out loud, but I think it.
AquaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #4  
Keep going Keep going

S/C/G: 240/191.5/150

Guilty here to.

I do it all the time and it makes me real down I grab a pair a jeans that I use to wear when I was bigger and It makes me feel better...LOL I know it's weird but it works
NikM789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:15 PM   #5  
Edge Of Glory

S/C/G: 350/See Ticker/199

Height: 5'8"

I was just thinking about this last night, too. I do compare myself to others a LOT. Sometimes I find myself just staring at other women's bodies, either pictures or in my day to day. I look at the curves, how toned they are or aren't, and wonder if I'll ever look remotely close to that. I also think that they probably were never fat in their life. Then, to my surprise, I find out that they either lost huge amounts of weight, or work out on the regular. You have to realize, like I have, that the majority of these women work for their bodies. Some take it to the extreme, and some just work out a lot to reach and keep their figure. That's how I get off the dwelling.
VirgoChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:34 PM   #6  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

Been there, done that and bought the t-shirt. I'll see someone who is similar in size to me and feel like, why does she carry her weight so well and I don't?? It really is all self defeating. It only makes me feel worse and then I begin talking myself out of healthy living and feeling like no matter what I do I'll never look as good as the next person. That's why I am working on self love now. If I can't love me for who I am and how I look now chances are that won't change simply because I lost weight. I still make sure I find fault with something and that's just not how I want to live my life.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Guilty here too.

I have a really hard time with this because we live at the beach so all I see during the summer is skinny girls in bikinis. We also ride dirtbikes and all the riders at the track have these girlfriends with highlighted hair, perfect makeup, and size 3 jeans.

For me it has a good side and a bad side. The bad is obvious, it makes me feel like crap that I don't measure up. The good is that it can work as motivation. Such as "Do I want this cinnamon roll do do I want to look like one of them?" I know it's not the best way to think about it but I really struggle with food and this helps me.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:45 PM   #8  
It's 2014, I need help!

Thanks girls, it makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one..
.. I just realized what can make me laugh after thinking bad things...
THE CARROT I don't know why but it makes me laugh *lol*
how's everyone's day going?
Old 03-06-2006, 02:56 PM   #9  

Pretty good. I'm just about to do my cardio.

I hope your day will be awesome!!!
AquaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:21 PM   #10  
It's 2014, I need help!

My day is going pretty good - work flew by (always good for a monday)
I'm pretty tired though, so I think I"m going to have a bit of a nap before I go to the gym (although I'm trying to talk myself out of going!!!!!!!) I need to stop doing that, I can always find an excuse not to go work out..

Have fun doing your cardio!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #11  

I do it all the time. I even do it with people who anyone else would tell me are bigger than me. BUT I see them as being smaller and/or looking better. I find that if I can make sure what I am wearing is something I feel comfortable in I do it less often. Of course this means sometimes I take FOREVER to get ready.. but knowing I've done the best I can with my outfit/hair/makeup makes me feel more confident and tune out those thoughts more often.
HAL123 is offline   Reply With Quote