Old 03-01-2006, 06:09 AM   #1  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

Default giving blood

hi all - I really want to give blood tomorrow - but am worried how it will affect my training the next day - any experience on this? I have not given in a while...
B
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 166/147/135

I think giving blood is a wonderful thing. I can't give blood anymore though because I am highly anemic. I found that out b/c around 3 years ago in college I gave blood and then the next morning (maybe 20 hours later) I went to do my normal jogging on the treadmill and passed out.

I went to the doctor and she basically told me that I was anemic and that I shouldn't have been giving blood (they do a finger prick to tell you if you are anemic before you give blood but obviously my 'blood-takers' were incompetent). So if you are anemic at all (not enough iron in your blood) then I wouldn't recommend giving blood.
For normal non-anemic people though, I would say you still have to tone down your workout a little bit (but i think the benefits of giving blood highly outweigh the slightly toned down workout that you may have to do). You should be back to normal within 2-3 days (I wasn't always anemic and loved giving blood during the end of high school/beginning of college and I was active).
LaurenDougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Ooooh, giving blood is not for me! The one and only time I did I like literally went into shock afterwards. Turned ghostly white, threw up, couldn't see, it was a nightmare!

Not much help, but just be prepared and take it easy. Better to do too little for day or two than too much.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:00 PM   #4  
Determined

Do it!! People die due to lack of blood donors and anything we can do to alleviate the situation is worth it! A slightly toned down workout won't hurt your weight loss long term and part of this whole journey should be about total self-betterment, not just physically but in terms of what you can do for others. Go for it!
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #5  
here I go again...

I gave blood last week! And directly from the little card they gave me: "Do not lift any heavy objects or participate in any strenuous exercise such as bowling, basketball, volleyball, swimming, golf, yard work, etc., for twelve hours following donation." So, as long as you don't plan on doing a heavy workout the day OF your donation, you should be perfectly fine. Happydaisy is absolutely right, there are critical shortages of blood and any little part you can do to help the situation is worth it! I say do it! (gently, of course...)

illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:02 AM   #6  

i give RBCPs actually.. u sit there longer but its actually better for the recipiant and you.. because it goes farther.. i have been giving blood since i was 18 just about every month.. i find it great.. i just dont do it where i get money.. i dunno i just dont like getting money its called donating.. i used to give blood at oklahoma blood institute.. and everytime you gave blood you got a pretty cool t-shirt...
sugarbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #7  
Chuggin' along...

bida, i used to give blood regularly. the reason i don't anymore is just that i moved to an area that doesn't have blood drives. i wouldn't work out the afternoon after i donated (actually i'd try and schedule it so i could work out a few hours before, then give my heart rate time to return to normal before donating), but the next day would be good to go. i was never the least bit effected by donating - never dizzy, lightheaded, etc. the worst was a slightly sore arm for a few hours. so i'd say go, donate! it's a great thing to do.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote