Carrots...are...boring. - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Old 01-26-2006, 12:26 PM   #1  
Going all the way!!!

S/C/G: 183/183/130

Height: 5'2"

Exclamation Carrots...are...boring.

Except for this guy---->

Seriously though, I'm sitting here eating the baby carrots I brought with my lunch and I'm bored bored bored. What are some low-cal ways you guys pep up your raw veggies? I've tried the fat-free or light sour cream mixed with veggie dip mix and I just don't think it tastes good. I want something that's got lots of flavor, little to no calories, and will keep in the fridge for a while. I love ranch/bleu/french onion type dips the best, but most "light" ones of these I find either taste yucky or still have like 60 calories for a tablespoon. Any suggestions?
TheNewChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:38 PM   #2  

i eat baby carrots with hummus, specifically with roasted red pepper hummus and 40 spice hummus. i always have hummus on stock, because i'll eat it with pitas, or make a pita with hummus, lettuce, tomato, black olives, and feta.
chicagoposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Well I've always hated dips/creamy sauces so I would choose salsa myself but I don't like raw carrots anyway so....I dip cucumber slices, sweet peppers etc in spicy salsa and it's pretty yummy. Honestly I normally just eat them plain or lightly salted though.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:55 PM   #4  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

an alternative would be tossing it in ranch powder mixes--though you may want to dilute it with something like breadcrumbs because it's probably high-sodium especially when concentrated like that.

However, I don't like carrots raw 'cept for the really finely shredded ones on top of some salads.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #5  

I tend to eat carrots with hummus. I also toss in celery, cucumbers, ect. The only thing I will not touch are peppers. Ick
Arian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:18 PM   #6  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

low fat cream cheese wigarlic and herbs!
or celery w/salmon!
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:39 PM   #7  
Going all the way!!!

OK call me stupid, but what is hummus, what does it taste like, and where do I get it?? That cream cheese with garlic and herbs sounds yummy too...
Old 01-26-2006, 02:40 PM   #8  
Movin' and Losin'

I tend to eat most all vegetables plain (I'm kind of a weird one who thinks all vegetables are delicious with no added dips/sauces, etc.), but if I do use something on them, it's salsa, like Liz.
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewChristy
OK call me stupid, but what is hummus, what does it taste like, and where do I get it?? That cream cheese with garlic and herbs sounds yummy too...
It is a dip made of chick pease and thahini. It is middle eastern in origin, tends to be low fat, and very yummy. Good with cut up veggies, and on sammiches.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:07 PM   #10  
Going all the way!!!

Tahini is the sesame stuff right? Sounds pretty yummy...can I buy it or do I have to make it? If I have to make it, does anyone have a recipe? And does anyone know how long it keeps in the fridge? Thanks again!
Old 01-26-2006, 04:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 268/260/194

Height: 5'7.5"

Yes, tahini is sesame paste. I also eat my carrots with hummus. You can buy it, around here it tends to be between $2.20-3.00 for an 8oz package and usually around the deli area of the supermarket.

Making your own isn't that hard, I do it in my two-bit blender and I feel like I just look up a different recipe on google each time, the recipe is very flexible. You do want to check the recipe or the premade package for how much tahini and olive oil they put in, as hummus can vary in calories depending on those. I think it keeps maybe a couple of weeks in the fridge, not sure since mine never lasts more than a week!
zizania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #12  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

I have to make a deal with myself to just eat my baby carrots before anything else and get it out of the way. I know this isn`t a very fun way to eat, but it helps me get my veggies in without any excuses, and it fills me up on "good stuff" before I start eating things I like more with less nutrients. I have to do the same thing with water.
But.. that said.. hummus is good. I've never tried it with veggies before. Also, I used to dip carrots in low cal vinagarettes before I developed my "just eat it" philosophy.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewChristy
Tahini is the sesame stuff right? Sounds pretty yummy...can I buy it or do I have to make it? If I have to make it, does anyone have a recipe? And does anyone know how long it keeps in the fridge? Thanks again!
I have yet to try and make it, but you can do it at home..my yoga instructer made the best hummus, hands down. Try looking for recipies on vegetarian web sites ^.^
Old 01-28-2006, 11:51 PM   #14  

I usually avoid the light and fat free dressings as I'm allergic to some ingredients. I just practice portion control! That said, however, the Light Done Right dressings and the Hidden Valley Ranch light are rather tasty.

Good luck!
English_teacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:12 PM   #15  

I agree... Carrots are borring on their own! But I love eating them with hummus, cream cheese or ff sour cream that I've mixed a package of Lipton's Onion Soup Mix into. Mmmmm!
Linds81 is offline   Reply With Quote