Old 01-24-2006, 05:33 AM   #1  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

Default question

Hi all - as I stated once before - returning from travels I am having trouble getting back on track - I didn't seem to be hungry all the time while abroad - but now that I am home (and not even walking as much) I seem to be hungry or thinking about food a lot more - am I just bored? even though I am starting a new exciting semester at school? But my real question is - has anyone experienced this before - and what did they do to overcome it? As much as I want the miricle to exist - it prob just doesn't.

lost and hungry (ohh - not right this second - but it is about time to go to bed!)
-B

Last edited by bida; 01-24-2006 at 05:39 AM.
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:38 AM   #2  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

I have the same thing... kinda, I lose a part of my appitite while Im on hol but as soon as I come home it returns,. But I dont lose weight on hol as I eat alot of fast food wen I am hungry and bloat myself when I get bored, like on m&ms.
I've neva came back to be dieting, I used to give in because I figured my body was on a different countries clock and larger portions, hence hungry.
if you hungry why dont u eat lots of low call stuff to begins with, like bran, low fat/cal soup 'slim-a-soup' celery etc, or is it more cravings that are getting to ya?
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:00 AM   #3  

I had the same problem when I went away this summer... I was in Italy, always with something to keep me occupied, never truly bored. And also there's a definite lack of convenience food over there, so the best 'snack' food I could find was nothing like the snack food over here in terms of addictiveness! When I came back home and life slowed down for a while, I put on at least 10 lbs. I think I was simply bored... there was ice cream in the freezer... I needed a companion for all the TV watching I was doing.

So yes, I think you're right that you're bored. After coming away from something as exciting as being overseas, you're looking for entertainment... I just had to recognize that in myself and try to resist the 'I'm bored' hunger cravings. The other way to help that is like angeleyezx suggested, snack on some healthy things. I make myself eat every 2.5 hours so I don't fall into snacking issues when I'm tempted... I snack on fruit, ff yogurt, crispy minis, that sort of thing. If you're always eating healthy things, your body can't complain about wanting a snack!!

good luck!
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:55 PM   #4  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

yeah - i have this great soup - yum maybe I will have a cup now - am hungry - though i had a nice sandwhich for lunch - but its almost 5 - so that is legal! right? yeah - i think it must be the pace that is different - you aren't always looking for the next museum or what not because you know your schedule - whereas while traveling - you don't?

need to have healthier - or just plain any - snacks - I am going to the dietician on friday - for the first time in like 10 years - and I have to write down everything I eat - so maybe this will motivate me to look and see what I eat for real - since some one will really be looking over my shoulder.

thanks
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #5  
gym junkie

S/C/G: 252/222/125

I've never had that happen...because I never go anywhere ( ) haha but I do know that when I don't have a lot to do, I get bored and go back to my eating when I'm bored routine. Maybe since you're back home, you feel comfortable and in a routine that makes you feel like eating more.

When you feel like eating, wait 10 minutes, drink a glass of water, and then in 10 minutes if you're still hungry have a little snack. Sometimes it's just thinking you're hungry and the water or the time will make you feel better.
cambri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:26 AM   #6  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

I am a major abuser of 'bored' eating. I work from home a lot and when I get bored or run down I often mistake it for hunger. A couple of things you can do for this are:

Keep a food journal, log the things you eat at what time and how you felt. This will help you to see patterns in your food cravings. Such as what time of day you seem to lose your focus...how you feel when you slip up. I am sure your nutritionist will have you do something like this.

Also if you suspect you may be eating just because you are bored - onlylet yourself eat extremely healthy food during these times. Know you are watching tv and really bored and looking to eat...eat an apple. Don't allow yourself to go for the good stuff.

Also one thing you may want to google is the food glycemic index. It assigns a number to most foods. The higher the number the longer you will stay full from it. This is also where the emphasis on whole foods comes from. A apple with the skin not sliced will keep you full for longer than its diced skinned counterpart. By eating these types of foods more you are less likely to be hungry again so soon. Maybe you were eating more whole foods on vaca?
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote