Old 08-25-2005, 03:45 PM   #16  

Julia - Very good point about big clothes making us look bigger - that is so true, even in street clothes. If you watch "What Not To Wear" that's one of the first things they tell people.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:31 PM   #17  
Making It This Time!

I recently just bought some new, cheap t-shirts that are kind of fitted, but still relaxed. I think a lot of my old t-shirts are designed to be unisex. T-shirts designed for women usually are a little more flattering. I feel a lot less frumpy in them. Plus, I've found that if I buy them in cute colors like pink or yellow, I feel cuter in them.

Also, I used to make fun of my roommate for putting on makeup and doing her hair to go to the gym, but I've realized that it makes me feel better sometimes. We're not talking a lot of makeup, but a little mascara and lip gloss. It makes me not feel so ugly and fat compared to the cute little sorority girl on the elliptical next to me.
I can't stand to wear tank tops when I work out. I'd rather my underarm sweat be soaked up by my shirt than dripping down my arm! ewwwwww....... *LOL*
BlueAngel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:33 PM   #18  

Jennifer - Exactly - looking good makes us feel better - can't be anything wrong there!

About unisex t-shirts. Same goes for Harley Davidson t-shirts. When bikers go somewhere out of town it's always tradition to bring back t-shirts for biker friends. I started telling them long ago to get mine in the 'womens cute section' thank you very much....lol Matter of fact, I think I only still own one or two oversize t-shirts.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:29 PM   #19  
Movin' and Losin'

I'm a workout pants and T-shirt girl. No shorts for me... yet. I'm just not comfortable in them. I always wear pants. I'm not sure what to call the pants I have, but they are made for working out and are made of a very thin, cotton/polyester combo. They are great for keeping cool and being able to move around in easily. And, I think they came from Target. Oh, and count me in the group of sweaters, too. I sweat a lot!
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:35 PM   #20  

jdog - are they yoga pants? No, I suppose not. I have all different kinds of pants and I love the yoga pants. I never wear shorts either, maybe if I walk on the fitness trail by my house and the sun is out......
I also have to have a good exercise bra......
Sweat is a good thing!
Oh - tonight is my first night of the Jazzercise class I signed up for with my SIL. I haven't done Jazzercise since the 80's but remember it as more dancing fun than hard exercise?
Doesn't matter much, I'm really doing it for fun. Becuz I work out at 5 a.m. every morning before work, alternating cardio, weights and floor exercises.
Any thoughts on Jazzercise? This class meets 3 times a week for an hour and I joined up for 8 weeks. Thought I'd see if I like it still and if I go 3 times a week.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:39 PM   #21  

i love workout pants. i have a lot of adidas, puma and nike ones from when i worked at a sporting goods store. the coolmax and climacool and whatever else they call that material makes a huge difference for us sweaters. even when i was a size six i sweat a ton. i always wear either those pants or old navy lounge pants. the lounge pants are lightweight and hang very nicely over the less desirable parts. i wouldn't wear those for aerobics or anything, but outside walking or yoga/pilates they are great. tops are usually a fitted t-shirt. i have a few old, big shirts that i like too because they are so worn that they are super thin and light. i wouldn't be comfortable in a tank top in public just because i am breastfeeding and not used to this giant chest.

bottom line: wear what is comfortable for you. for some it is oversized sweats, for some it is a sports bra and bike shorts. don't go by looks, but what makes you feel good. working out is only enjoyable if you aren't constantly on butt crack patrol, picking wedgies, or concerned that your arms are jiggling too much. good luck!
She-Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:00 PM   #22  
LivingDeadGirl

S/C/G: 325/250/165

Height: 5'7"

personally when i workout i use some athletic shorts...not sure what they're called...the ones with lil holes in them LOL...and i use a tank with a built in bra...if it's cooler and i'm doing yoga i have some pj pants and the tank that i use...depends on the situation i'm exercising in
Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:04 AM   #23  
All That's Left of Me

LOL...Butt Crack Patrol...that is too funny!!! You almost made me squirt tea out my nose she-mullet!

Amanda
amandaholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:52 AM   #24  
LivingDeadGirl

LMAO that's awesome
Old 09-01-2005, 09:21 AM   #25  

Default She Mullet

[QUOTE=She-Mullett) bottom line: wear what is comfortable for you. for some it is oversized sweats, for some it is a sports bra and bike shorts. don't go by looks, but what makes you feel good. working out is only enjoyable if you aren't constantly on butt crack patrol, picking wedgies, or concerned that your arms are jiggling too much. good luck![/QUOTE]

BTW - She Mullet - Adorable Baby!
Old 09-01-2005, 09:39 AM   #26  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Default 33 year old crashing the thread!

Hi girls,

I'm (sadly) a 30-something, so I'm crashing your thread but I wanted to respond to WastedThermos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WastedThermos
I don't know if I can wear shorts, but I've been thinking about trying to. Ever since I was little when I wear shorts they ride up and I spend half the time pulling them down. It is annoying and thats why I've been wearing pants to work out. Has anyone conquered that shorts thing?
I've ALWAYS had the "riding up" issue, too. Nike makes some great shorts that have one of those lycra bike-shorts type inner lining -- you know, the kind of shorts WE would never wear in public, but 5'10" 110 lbs women do. But that's just the LINING. The outer shorts are nice, loose, breathable material. So you have the bonus of no riding up but you don't have to worry about walking around in nothing but lycra.

I have two pairs...just thought I'd pass along the info.

Also, I used to wear my old x-large t-shirts to the gym (like a lot of yolu have said). When I began working out harder -- and sweating more -- I decided to buy myself a Cool-Max t-shirt from LL Bean. WHAT a difference!! Soooo much more comfortable than cotton! I went with a smaller size, too, thinking it would inspire me to lose weight so I'd fit into it well. And I discovered that I feel BETTER about myself at the gym because I'm not completely covered up and baggy. This has nothing to do with everyone else at the gym -- it just makes me feel more "fit."

Thanks for letting me crash.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:55 PM   #27  
I like jewelry.

When I bike on the road, I wear bike pants and a t-shirt. The t-shirt isn't necessarily long enough to cover my butt; when I'm doing serious biking, I don't care. Same for when the weather is in the 90's... you can find me in a workout tank top. I figure if people don't like it, they can look away.

At the gym, for the exercise bike I wear bike shorts and a top that is long enough to cover my butt. I also wear warm up pants over the bike shorts until I get to the bike. If I'm doing aerobics, I wear shorts that fall to the middle of my thighs, and a t-shirt.

I have found that I like women's shirts better than the old unisex 2x-es I used to wear. Granted, I still wear an XL, but at least the women's shirts are cut so that there is some waist definition. So long as they fit well and there is no flab showing, I now prefer women's shorts.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:30 PM   #28  
LivingDeadGirl

yeah in the end we shouldn't care how we look...but when does that stop us usually...

i might have to check out those nike shorts......................