Old 08-11-2005, 11:12 AM   #1  
Ugly Fat Chick

Unhappy I Am New!!!

Hey I am new here and was wanting to make some friends for support. I am 22 and currently weigh 270. I really need help and advice because I know that I am going about this all wrong. I am not eating and binging then purging. I know that that is not healthy. So will someone please help?
manicgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:42 AM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Samantha, welcome to 3FC. The first thing I would suggest is to check out the "Chicks in Control" forum here. It is a forum for people with eating disorders and has some good information that you might want to read, particularly the definitions and characteristics of eating disorders. I think it is primarily for people who are compulsive eaters. Also, this post has definitions of anorexia and bulimia, and information about them.

I don't know if you are binging and purging and not eating because you actually have an eating disorder, or because you have heard that anorexics and bulimics get skinny and you decided to try that to lose weight. In any case, you know that it is not healthy.

There are a lot of healthy ways to lose weight. There are programs like Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig, there is straight-up calorie counting (basically making sure you don't eat enough, but not too much), and there are plans like the South Beach Diet or Atkins or other plans that have books written about them. I have heard very good things about the Dr. Phil Ultimate Weight Loss Solution book.

I am a calorie counter, so that is all I can really give you information about, but other people around here follow some other plans. Weight Watchers is basically a simplified calorie counting program. The idea is that to lose 1 lb each week, you need to eat 500 calories per day LESS than your body burns. I would guess that for someone your size, eating 1800-2200 calories per day might be a good place to start. There are a lot of online calculators for your "Basal Metabolic Rate," which is the number of calories you burn by sitting doing nothing all day, just existing. People generally recommend that if you eat close to your BMR, you will lose weight at a good rate.

The common lower limit is 1200 calories. In general, unless directed to by a doctor, you should never eat less than 1200 calories/day. If you don't eat enough, then your body will think that you are starving to death, and will start to hold on to every ounce of fat to help it stay alive. Also, if you don't eat enough, then when you lose weight you might be losing muscle mass, not fat.

You don't have to starve to lose weight. In fact, you don't even have to be hungry to lose weight. One easy way to find out what should work for you is to talk to your doctor about it. Tell him/her that you want to lose weight but you don't know how, and he/she should put you in contact with a nutritionist, who can develop a plan that is suited to you in particular. You should always consult a doctor before starting any diet, especially in case you have any physical issues that you don't know about that could interfere.

Anyway, I hope that helped some. We are here to support you.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:54 PM   #3  
Sara G.

First thing you need to understand is that you will not see results as fast as you would like. You will start feeling better once you start a regular exercise plan and a healthy diet. It is pretty easy to do, it's just that you're making such a big change in your lifestyle. Do you have a dog? You could start taking him/her for walks for benefits for both of you. I know North Carolina is beautiful. You could go to a park and walk around. We're all here for you and know what you're going through. Have a great day.
Laila_girl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 01:34 PM   #4  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Manicgurl,

Welcome and much respect to you for putting yourself out there like that. I think you've come to the right place. Here is a forum full of ladies that are all struggling to get healthy by exercise and eating right. You will learn lots from these ladies, and I think you can get lots of ideas of how to better lose weight and most importantly be healthy.
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:14 PM   #5  
Proud US Navy Wife

Hi Manic

I'm new here too, and I can tell you you have come to the right place for support! These ladies are great.

The best advice I can think of is don't give up. If you have the urge to binge and purge, remind yourself that what you want to do is lose the weight in a healthy way. It won't happen instantly (wouldn't it be nice if it did? I always think it's unfair that it is so much easier to put the weight on than it is to get it off!) but it WILL happen, and you will feel much better about yourself when you see that eating right and exercise is making a difference! (I remember shopping with a friend after a year of walking to and from work every day, and how I was thrilled that the jeans I got were size 16 instead of 22!)

Feel free to post often and rant and talk and make friends.. we are all here for you!
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:01 AM   #6  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Hi Manicgirl,

Welcome to the boards!

As for your particular situation, try to take it one day, or even one hour, at a time. Think to yourself, "I don't have to be perfect forever, I just need to get through the next day."

Take care!
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote