Old 08-02-2005, 08:10 PM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Default protein

So I know that for weight loss we should eat a lot of protein, and in general for health it is good to have at LEAST 20% of your calories come from protein.

But, I can't seem to get my protein percent much over 20%, if even 20% at all. I'm not a vegetarian but I do try to limit my meat intake (to avoid too much cholesterol). I usually have two or three servings of dairy each day (usually two cups of milk and a yogurt). I almost always have some kind of meat in my lunch (turkey sandwich for example). The only meats I cook at home are chicken and turkey, so for dinner I will either have something with chicken, something with ground turkey, something with tofu, or something with beans. A couple nights a week we just have pasta with canned sauce and a salad for dinner, which I know is sadly lacking (we started buying protein-added pasta).

My question is, I guess, how do I get more protein, percentage-wise? I don't want to add cheese in much because it is so caloric, but I love me some carbs and I can't imagine reducing my carb intake much so that wouldn't work either. What foods have protein other than meat?
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:23 PM   #2  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

have you tried edamame? u could prob easily add that to your pasta dish - or just eat it on its own. yum - i should get some.

I know you aren't a veggie - but tofu can be good sometimes too. also a lot of veggies and vegans I know take supplimentary protein drinks. (or bars?)
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:43 PM   #3  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

My three favorite protein sources I guess would be.. low-fat cottage cheese, fake-meat burgers and egg whites.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Amen to the egg whites and no fat cottage cheese. Add tuna to your list.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:21 AM   #5  
All That's Left of Me

I think cottage cheese is super scary...I wouldn't eat it on a dare. I use whey protein powder. It's a healthy, full branch chain of all the essential amino acids. It's only 70 calories for 1 scoop (on average) which typically gives you an extra 16 grams of protein. It's a bargain that comes at a price (not a lot of money), as I have yet to find one that tastes good But it's low cal, filling, and gets the job done...without the urge to purge that I get from cottage cheese (lol)!
amandaholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:24 AM   #6  

Try hummus with raw veggies. Yumm.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:02 AM   #7  
On My Way...

Haha Amanda! I loooove cottage cheese (low fat only, I can't stand it with whole fat in it....YUCK). I also love tuna...I eat lots !
jkg0679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:23 AM   #8  
Mikey's girl

low fat SMALL curd cottage cheese.YUMMM..... Eggs...there are some protein shakes out there, I hate spending the $$ the though. THere is a website that has different ways to intake sugars/protein/carbs... I'll have to search for it...

Speaking oif cottage cheese, does anyone eat it with fruit?? I CANNOT stand CC being sweet or mixed with fruit, I have to have mine plain, or a small amount of salt added. But I have noticed a TON of people eat it with fruit... ???
JustForUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:56 AM   #9  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

JustforUs- I always eat my cottage cheese with fruit, but thats the way I've been eating it since I was little. Pineapple, peaches, pears.. yum. It makes it feel like a dessert or something.
I wish all cheese was as good for you at cottage cheese. I'm a cheese addict.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:27 AM   #10  
Movin' and Losin'

JustforUs: I'm the same way! Can't stand the thought of cottage cheese with fruit -- just seems wrong. But, I like it with salt or even pickles and tomatoes. I'm sure the fruit people think that's wrong! I have a cousin that likes ketchup in her cottage cheese -- makes it a nice pink color.

Most of my protein comes from meats -- mainly chicken. I also eat eggs. I know there is a cereal with added protein -- I've never tried it, but I think it's a Kellogg's brand???
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:30 AM   #11  
Mikey's girl

Yea I love CC with tomatoes... My friends think Im crazy becaus eI dont like the fruit idea.. funny how different people's taste are.
JustForUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:06 AM   #12  
All That's Left of Me

Okay, so I hadn't tried cottage cheese since I was little...until 2 days ago (which is why I felt this post had such wonderful timing). I always get the low fat/small curd type for my son (the healthiest eater in the world), but the look/smell of it had always turned me off. Anyways, so two days ago I decided I was going to try and up my intake of healthy foods (cue the theme song from jaws), which is a big step for me considering I have always eaten super bad unhealthy food. I carefully measured out 1/4 cup of the stuff into a cereal bowl, and threw in some fresh slices of peach for good measure. With concentrated effort I spponed out the first heaping bite and piled it in (making sure not to breathe out of my nose), and forced myself to swallow. 3 seconds later I was running toward the bathroom so as not to soil the rug (while my son followed me in asking if he could have my cottage cheese. Help yourself baby!). The thing that really made this situation unbearable was the fact that the curds were the perfect size to get lodged in my braces...yuck! I commend those of you that manage to consume (and then actually digest) cottage cheese. My hat goes off to you!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:24 AM   #13  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Nuts is a good source, go for the unsalted and roasted for the most healthy, and eat in moderation, not the whole back Spill!-makes for a great snack, a handful!

Beans, best source, plus keep you feeling full!

Learning a lot from being on SBD, eat mostly protein, and only good carbs and even those in moderation. If you must have pasta, try using WW, healthier choiice.
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:09 PM   #14  
On My Way...

Amanda - My step father cannot eat cottage cheese. It's not the taste so much as it' sthe texture. It makes him throw up!
jkg0679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:56 PM   #15  
All That's Left of Me

I agree, it is the texture

lol