Old 08-05-2005, 06:01 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

I used to have major issues with CC but now I find it to be yummy mixed with a little dry SF jello powder. Sounds weird but it makes an amazing dessert. I don't do a low-carb "diet" but they have a lot of low carb products out there that have increased protein (cereals, etc) and those help me to get a higher intake.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:12 AM   #17  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the advice everyone! I cooked some eggs (2 whole, 2 whites) for dinner last night (to split with my bf, I didn't eat 4 eggs myself! ) with some steamed broccoli, bell peppers, and tomatoes mixed in (and a little pepper). Eaten on a piece of whole wheat toast - yum!

I have a peanut butter and sf jelly sandwich for lunch today, so hopefully that will give me some good protein and fats. I don't know that my breakfast cereal has much protein (I eat multigrain cheerios), but I always figured the milk would have some protein in it.

Cottage cheese is SO WEIRD. My bf loves it (we don't buy it b/c he will eat the entire container in one sitting). I can't get over the appearance of the stuff though. I think my problem with it is that it looks like pudding or yogurt or something, so I expect it to taste sweet. Then I put the spoon in my mouth and it is totally not sweet, and so I am kind of grossed out by it! I haven't made an honest effort of trying to eat cottage cheese though, so maybe I will try again. The only think I ever use it for is recipes (noodle kugel, yum yum yum).

I'm getting the feeling that my problem is not that I don't eat enough protein, but that I eat too many carbs, so percentage-wise the protein only comes out to 20%. I really can't imagine giving up pasta, rice, and bread though, they are the staples of my diet. And cereal. I have started buying whole wheat pasta with added protein though, and we always buy wheat bread, but I haven't managed to make the transition to brown rice. I can eat a bowl of jasmine rice with a little soy sauce for dinner and be satisfied! I've been thinking about trying some brown rice and wild rice (there is a Whole Foods down the street from my apartment), but I am worried that it takes too long to cook, and that it's expensive (we buy our jasmine rice in 20-lb bags).

Anyway, now I'm rambling, but thanks for the advice! Maybe I will attempt cottage cheese after all!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 05:03 PM   #18  
Sara G.

Why don't you try adding a protien bar for a snack during the day. I know that there are a lot of different kinds with lots of flavors to choose from. Personally I enjoy the crunchy peanut butter flavor, can't remember the brand off hand....

Sara
Laila_girl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #19  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Well, I tried the cottage cheese! It's not so bad after all. I had 1/2 C cottage cheese with some grapes and blueberriesas part of my lunch, and OMG it was so filling. I also had a small flax/bran muffin, so the total cals for lunch was about 300, but I am stuffed! Maybe I will stick with the cottage cheese, since it is so filling! My only concern is that it has quite a bit of sodium. I guess it's not too bad though compared to lunchmeat.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:45 PM   #20  

Cottage cheese is pretty rockin'.

Lately I've been making tortilla wraps for breakfast/lunch to get my protein. Warm a tortilla, spread on a thin layer of lowfat ranch (or lowfat/nonfat cream cheese, if you prefer) , add 2-3 slices of lean ham, a slice of nonfat cheese, some diced tomatoes/lettuce and wrap that sucker up. I usually make two and cut them into halves then serve them with a little bit of guacamole. Each wrap is 160 calories, 2-3 grams of fat and 18 grams of protein.

So if you have two wraps (a meal for me) that's about 320 calories/5 grams of fat and 36 grams of protein! (from the cheese and the ham) Soooo filling and delish.
girl least likely to is offline   Reply With Quote