Old 06-29-2005, 10:40 PM   #1  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

Default starvation mode

ok, does this ever happen to you?
you work and work - watch what you eat - think you're doing great - get full on your moderated meals. and then bam wham thank you mam - your body goes on like starvation mode - like its hungry all the time, and no mater what you do you are (rather your stomache is) screaming "feed me feed me" and nothing can satisfy it. even that really tasty meal that you had (that was good for you too?)

i gues it comes from years of eating too much? and not watching your weight. (Carefully enough)

and this sucks too - after someone commented how healthy I was starting to look.

so i can't fall back into the trap - but I am worried - what to do?

and filling up on water isn't really going to help. bc I don't fill up on it. its just a filler but I am drinking some now.

ugh, btw, as im rambling on - i found it depressing yesterday when I dug out this old notebook of mine. I had started it when I was a freshman in College (18!!!) and kept it and every few months (and occationally once for 3 weeks straight) wrote and took measurements in it. I had fluctuated from 180-173-187 and now, ugh. its just horrible to think i said to myself so many times - this is going to be the year. so finally i must say this will be the year!

oh (and pls because of that give me advise on above)
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:30 AM   #2  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

This isn't "starvation mode" in a technical sense, but I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes, your body just needs more fuel. If this happens all the time or most of the time, I'd up my calories about 100 and try to eat more filling, low-cal foods (like fruits and veggies, high fiber and maybe a bit more protein would be a plus). If it's an occassional thing, I would eat. Your body knows what it needs and you will probably see results by feeding it when it's hungry. Sometimes my biggest losses are induced by one day where I ate about 1800 cals (and ate under 1500 the day before and the day after).
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:47 AM   #3  
On My Way...

Bida, I am doing the same thing. I feel like I am hungary ALL the time! I am planning on going to the grocery store to stock up on veggies & fruits to eat in between meals. I am currently taking in between 1400 and 1600 calories per day, which is where I wanna stay, but considering 2 weeks ago, I was probably over 2000 calories a day, I am sure my body needs some time to adjust. All in all, I fell so much better now and have much more energy, so I think by adding some carrot sticks or an apple to my diet will be fine.
jkg0679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:34 AM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Is there a particular food you're craving? Like, if my body really wants a hamburger, and I try to feed it fruits and veggies instead, I will just be really hungry (no matter what I eat) until I get that hamburger. Sometimes if you are lacking in particular nutrient, your body will crave the food that will provide it (in my case, I usually crave red meat, probably b/c I don't get enough iron in my diet), so you will be hungry until you eat some of that particular food. (I don't know if this is true for everyone, but it sure is for me!)

How many calories are you eating per day? Maybe you actually aren't eating enough? If eating more high-fiber foods and more protein (maybe even some fat) doesn't solve the problem, maybe you could try drinking a protein shake or a diet shake of some kind -- diet shakes have chemicals to make you feel fuller. Just don't use diet shakes exclusively.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:29 AM   #5  
Chuggin' along...

I found that when I used to go into that "starvation mode" and looked at my food journal/Fitday journal for the last day or two before, I hadn't been getting enough fat in my diet. Unfortunately for me once I hit that starvation mode it's usually too late and I would overeat anyway. I learned to integrate more "good fat" into my diet throughout the day and to prevent the problem. I have this problem less often with protein as I'm usually very good at getting enough of it.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:11 PM   #6  
Mikey's girl

I feel the same way. Like my stomach is just dying to eat. and I just crab a protein bar or some fruit. Sometimes I think I eat at the wrong time. like whne Im not hungary but its lunch time so I have eat sort of thing.
JustForUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:47 PM   #7  
On My Way...

I just looked at my Fitday journal and I have been way under in fats for about a week. Maybe I should try to include some more in my diet and see if that helps.
jkg0679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:17 PM   #8  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

paperclippy - i get what you decribed - a particular craving, or maybe multiple things - and fruits or veggies just don't do the trick. I am trying to keep between 14-1600 cals. I think sometimes its also like a trigger - like i'll think about a food, or see a food displayed somewhere and I am like - Got to have it - its bad, hopefully its getting better.
thanks.

how much fats/cals do you guys find is good?
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:13 PM   #9  
Big-time loser

I try to stay semi-low w/o going overboard. I try stick to between 25-30% fat.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:05 PM   #10  

It could be that your metabolism is up. You said you were exercising more. I guess it's your body asking for more "fuel." Just stick with healthy snacks and you should be okay.

Paperclippy makes an excellent point about craving a particular food. One thing that has helped me when I have specific cravings is to drink a glass of milk. Usually works. At times when it doesn't, then I figure my body is trying to tell me something and I treat myself to a small portion of whatever it is I'm craving.
Doss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:11 PM   #11  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I have trouble keeping my fat up without going over calories too . . . I tend to get about 15% fat. I know I need more, I should be 20-25% I think. What ends up happening is either I get like 15% fat, or I eat something really bad and have like 50% fat! Fat has so many calories though that I haven't really learned how to make sure to get fat without getting too much of it. Tonight we're having pasta, I think I will use extra olive oil to cook the mushrooms. That should help I think. I'm not very proficient at cooking with oil (I usually use PAM and a nonstick pan) so it's kind of tough.

I think my ideal breakdown would be like 55% carb, 25% protein, 20% fat. What I usually eat ends up being more like 70% carb, 15% protein, and 15% fat. They say that no more than 35% of your calories should be from fat, and no more than 10% from saturated fat. Carbs supposedly should be 45-65%. But who really knows? (not me!)
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:46 AM   #12  
Chuggin' along...

I try to get a minimum of 25% fat, which works out to be about 35 grams (I shoot for 40-50 grams/day). Things I include to get fat (er, get fat into my diet!) are low-skim mozzarella string cheese (5g fat for 1 oz), low-fat rather than fat-free salad dressings (I love Ken's Steak House light dressings, or making my own w/ olive oil, vinegar, and herbs), eggs, olive oil if I'm making rice or couscous, almonds (12 whole = 7g fat, ~80 cal), Morningstar 'sausage' patties for breakfast on the weekends.

I was stalling on my weight loss a while back, which is when i started using Fitday and saw how low my fat intake was, ~15-20 g/day. I increased my fats and actually increased my overall calorie intake by doing so, but I started losing more weight anyway. Also as I've increased fat intake my hair and nails have started growing faster (at their pre-weight-loss levels), and TOTM has returned. I guess this has made me a little paranoid about extremely low fat intake!

Doss, a glass of milk sometimes does the trick to fill me up too. I've always been a milkaholic.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:54 PM   #13  
Big-time loser

Clippy - olive oil is REALLY good for your body, definately throw some in!
Old 07-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #14  
One day at a time...

I try to eat atleast 2200 calories a day now, because I am really active. When I was limiting myself to 1500 calories my body hated me, but ever since I up'ed it the weight is flying off. In terms of fat, I probably intake about 25-30% which comes from olive oil, peanuts, tuna, other meats, some veggies (who knew cauliflower had fat!), lf cheese and occasional mayo.
April_Showers is offline   Reply With Quote