Old 05-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 76/ticker/56 (kg)

Height: 1.61cm (~5'3")

Unhappy Vulnerability to stress and conscious binging

It's exams season in the university and I am really, really stressed out. I've lost around 14 kg from my highest weight but has since put back 4 kg due to all the emotional eating that I have been doing. The worst thing is that I am completely aware of my actions when I reach out for the carton of milk, the cereal, the biscuits and cookies etc but I still do it.

It is not so much of the guilt that plagues me but that I would binge till the point that I feel physically sick, and sometimes even to the point that I am so full that I would throw up. (Cos nobody should have half a litre of milk with half a jar of cookies at one sitting) I don't think I can manage completely ending the binge behavior during my exams, I fight the urge to binge in my head and I realise that I bite my lower lip so much that there are ulcers forming. (wtf brain... seriously)

All my papers will end in a week from now and I cannot wait to unravel my tangled nerves; I know I can go back on track and curb the binge. But the real issue that I have is cyclical stress patterns and it being directly correlated to my bingeing problems = emotionally brittle and physically unwell at the same time. I know the only person that can really help me is myself..... but I guess I just want a listening ear to tide me over this period. Thanks for reading.
TheGreenerSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #2  

Height: 5'2"

I know exactly how you feel. I got really stressed out these past few months due to work and would have pizza just about every other night. I knew I shouldn't and I still did it even if it made me feel awful afterwards. Nowadays I'll stop when I feel wigged out and ask myself if I really AM hungry or I just need to chill out and take a bath, talk to someone, etc. And if I actually am hungry, I write out whatever meals/snacks/drinks I'm going to have the day before i.e. plan out my menus. That way I can reach for the ingredients I've already planned on instead of going for the easy fix like pizza delivery or whatever.
Mimasaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #3  
Train Insane

S/C/G: 191/151/135

Height: 5'8"

This sounds like a really ridiculous way to combat binge eating, but I take a benadryl. I've yet to find a way to stop eating when I'm emotionally eating and this was I just pass out and when I wake up and I'm over it. i don't even keep any junk in my house, but I just eat random stuff like cereal and pickles and consider making that brownie mix that's been in the pantry for 2 years.
glitterhairdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #4  
It's me, Ashleyyy!

S/C/G: 291/~/185

Height: 5'8"

glitterhairdye I like all of that.
smashlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #5  
sugar is the devil

I agree with stop what you are doing and distract yourself! Go have a candle lit hot bubble bath with a nice cup of tea. Relax. Maybe even by the time you have finished bath... the binge feeling will have curbed. Maybe go for a walk? Leave the house for a bit!
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 76/ticker/56 (kg)

Height: 1.61cm (~5'3")

Thanks you all for your replies! The suggestions are pretty awesome. I find that taking a shower is one of the most effective ways to distract myself from bingeing! It really calms my mind and dissolves the urge to binge phew~~~ Thanks guys!
TheGreenerSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #7  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

I have posted recently about the large amount of stress I was under and how during all of it I found out that stress is a trigger for me to stop taking care of myself through food and exercise and just binge and say 'screw it!' however that is a lot more damaging in the long run, not only physically but mentally. Recently I've started to change that mindset. Now when I am stressed and want to binge, I remind myself how I am going to beat myself up after a binge and they bloated way I feel and that it's not worth it. Instead of hurting myself more when I'm stressed, I should take that extra time to care for myself and be nice to myself! Everyone has given you great ideas! Things that help me are pampering myself, giving myself a pedicure or manicure, reading, trying to hair styles, going to the bookstore and grabbing a skinny latte to satisfy a sweet tooth, make green or black tea, clean, do laundry, exercise if I haven't already, go for a walk, play with my pets, etc.

Basically when you feel the urge, busy yourself with something! Slowly but surely my mindset and the way I deal with stress is changing, and I know you can do the same!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote