Old 01-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #1  

Angry Healthy Food + Exercise = More Weight Gain :(

I started eating healthy, not skipping meals, taking vitamins, and walking on my treadmill daily last week...I weighed in at 230lbs on Sunday and when I stepped on the scale today to weigh in (I couldnt wait the extra day ) AND I GAINED 10lbs!!!! In ONE WEEK!!! How does that even work? I mean if Im gonna gain weight trying to lose weight, I should stick to eating what I want!!! GRRRR
mrsfoster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/*see ticker*/130

Height: 5'4"

well... 10lbs is a bit much... it's possible that you have gained muscle, though honestly, shouldn't really have made you gain that much... especially if it's your first week, you should definitely have seen a loss, not a gain...

it is possible however that you are just bloated... are you eating a lot of salt? maybe you are retaining water... when do you weigh yourself? is your TOM coming? cuz that can make you bloat up too.

also, what do you mean by eating healthy? if you are eating too much, even if it is of healthy foods, you can gain weight. point-in-case, yesterday, i binged on granola cereal... sure, it is healthy if you take some once a day in a small amount... when you eat the entire bag in one sitting... not so much :/

hang in there though! you should try writing down everything you're eating. it'll help you see where you're going wrong.

good luck!
KawaiiCandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #3  

Actually, TOM is present and I didnt even think about that until you mentioned it...As far as food this is my schedule:
Oatmeal/Whole Wheat toast or Fried Egg on wheat (no butter)
Yogart
Grilled Chicken Salad
Cracker Chips
and my dinner...baked meat, veggie, so on and so forth...
I walk for 30 minutes on my treadmill.
And I weigh myself in the mornings, undressed before getting in the shower.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #4  

Been there. It is depressing for sure. I have been dieting for YEARS and I've been at a plateau for a long time. My husband has never dieted at all until last summer and now he is 85 pounds lighter without even working out!! BOO!!!!

Anyway, make sure that you keep check and if it keeps happening check with your dr. I've just gone to the doctor for a physical for the first time in years since I haven't had insurance. I've learned that my thyroid is nearly dead it is so slow which affects how I can lose wait. Hopefully once the meds take hold I can finally see some results.

My new doctor has also explained that women have three hormones that manage weight while men only have one. Which is why it is so frustrating to diet with your spouse.
JadedPhoenixBurning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #5  

I couldn't diet with my husband if I tried, he is a fit 6ft 160lbs man who WANTS to gain weight! That is a losing battle there!
I went to a dr about 10 years ago who said I had a thyroid problem...but no insurance and low income has prevented me from going back to one. I lost about 50 pounds about 3 years ago during a very hard time in my life. I went down a very dark path, then when I got clean and happy I gained it all back and then some!
Old 01-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #6  
babybat

Height: 5'7

hmmmm that is so weird it sounds like you're doing everything right. The only thing I can think of is talking to a nutritionist. They would know more.

And keep doing what you're doing as far as I can tell you're doing great!
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:02 AM   #7  

Google "hypothyroid diet plans" and see if it helps you. I never knew that there were some foods that while "Healthy" are horrible if you have a slow thyroid. Eat Iodine rich foods and it will help.

Five years ago I had gotten up to 365 (Hangs head in shame) but was able to get down to 280 but now I'm back up to 315 (Varies since I retain huge amounts of fluid; estimated at about 60 pounds worth) and I've been stuck for over a year.

The irony in my situation, as a child I was so skinny that DSS threatened to take me from my parents. My mother took me to a doctor and they gave me shots to slow my thyroid down since it was too fast and lets just say that the shots worked TOO well.

Last edited by JadedPhoenixBurning; 01-27-2013 at 01:09 AM.
JadedPhoenixBurning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:19 AM   #8  

BabyBat-Im going to try and weigh tomorrow in a different room, my floors tend to be uneven in some rooms...so I dont know if it means anything but Im going to try.

Jaded-Thanks for the diet idea. Im going to look it up now...I have to get this weight off...my mom has diabetes so it runs in the family. Im willing to try anything!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 02:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/*see ticker*/130

Height: 5'4"

well, if you're on TOM it could just be that... my last period i went up nearly 5lbs, lol... but if you got a thyroid problem, i would suggest you follow jadedphoenix's advice and google those special diet plans... cuz you could still be doing everything "right" and still not lose weight cuz of that problem...

what you're eating seems alright though, so if you stick with it, you should see some results. hang in there!
KawaiiCandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:57 AM   #10  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Uneven floors really, really, really mess with scales. I live in an old house and I got about a 10lb difference this morning just by moving the scales about a foot and a half. Now...I knew this and I knew that it was measuring way too low and I knew it was a bit slopey where I had the scale and so I moved it and got an accurate reading.

But I also had 4lb fluctuations (up and down) this week which I think were correct. I think when you weigh what we weigh these big fluctuations are possible. TOM and a new exercise regime* could well be to blame - as well as a slopey floor could easily explain your 10lbs.

If I were you, I'd take my higher reading as my starting point...and say last week was a practice week at living healthy...and watch the scales down next week.

___
*the body can hold onto water if the muscles are being put under stress - it's good stress, it's normal, and it will go away. This is one case when the scale is definitely NOT your friend, you are making a positive change but the scale is going the other way. Just keep doing as you're doing.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:21 AM   #11  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

If you have uneven floors, that could definitely be a large portion of the problem...also, make sure that there's no carpeting or rugs under the scale. TOM is probably contributing, and if you're sore at all from your walking, you may be holding some water. The only other thing that I can think of is portion size...it sounds like you're making good food choices, but you need to measure things as well.

In any case, don't give up. You can do it.
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Others have brought up some really great suggestions, and I'll echo some of them:
Are you paying attention to portion size?
Are you drinking enough water?
Are you weighing yourself in your socks? That can mess things up!
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #13  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Trust me, I've been there. Just keep going and you'll notice fat loss. You can't always trust the scale. You could be bloated due to TOM, sodium, or not drinking enough water. Also, you may have gained muscle.

Always be sure to weigh yourself at the same time. First thing in the morning works best for me. Trust by how your clothes are fitting, not what the scale says.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #14  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

There are a number of reasons you could gain weight, Sodium, TOM, Muscle, Broken scale/in need of calibration, or something that my parents have issues with (and I am starting to have issues with) Thyroid problems. There are so many reasons though. Have you tried multiple scales or just yours? Are you weighing after drinking/eating? What time of day are you weighing? You will usually weigh a little more if you weigh in the afternoon/evening verses the morning after you wake up. Ohh and I use an app on my phone to keep track of my calories which has helped me so far. Idk if you're counting or doing some other type of diet but the app is My Fitness Pal. Hope this helps
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #15  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

Also, if you're weighing yourself on an unlevel surface or carpet that can also make a significant impact. I had to start weighing myself in my hallway because I was getting wacky readings in my bathroom from where my house had settled.
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote