Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 207/197/125

Height: 5'7

Default No self control....No energy

Hi all, I am new here...well sorta, I had an account about a year ago but never posted from it and cannot remember the account details anyway. I guess my reason for posting now is maybe someone here is battling what I am and we can be support buddies. I have lost a lot of weight in the past but it was all done with not eating, then when I got pregnant with my daughter I pretty much binge ate my entire pregnancy and gained it all back plus about 30 lbs. Now I still binge eat and its all the wrong things. I have no appetite for home cooked meals. I will cook a nice supper for my family and not eat it, but as soon as they all go to bed I will head out to a drive thru and order 2400+ calories worth of food and eat it all in 10 minutes. Or go to the gas station and buy all kinds of fatty hot sandwiches, brats, and a whole bag of chips and eat them all (so embarrassing ) I try to stop but I swear its like an addiction and the cravings get so bad. This is becoming an everyday thing. On to the second part, I have NO energy and I am sure it is because I eat soooo bad and because I am a heavy smoker, and overweight. I drink massive amounts of redbull and mtn. dew and take excedrin just to stay awake. Its honestly about 1300 calories in drinks a day. I have no energy still to even just go outside and walk or even get off the couch. When I quit the sugar drinks I get more energy for about two days but then the headaches set in and I cannot handle it and end up drinking even more the next day. It's a vicious cycle and I am doing it all to myself. Has anyone been through the same and have any advice for me? I am at my breaking point, I cry daily because of what I am doing to myself, I am disgusted, my husband is not happy, we cannot have anymore children at this moment because I have made myself infertile. Even with all this I cannot find the motivation to keep with a plan and get healthy. Sorry for my rant, I just need help.
Tashiesampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #2  
forever a lake effect kid

S/C/G: 262.6/181.3/162.6

Height: 5'4''

Tashiesampson - I am really sorry that you're going through this. You say that eating unhealthy food is "like" an addiction. It's not "like" one, it IS one. I am sorry to say that you're not healthy right now, but you also weren't healthy when you lost all your weight originally by not eating.

My suggestion to you is to start small. You will not be able to go from eating the way that you do now to eating completely clean and healthy. So each week make one resolution. Eat exactly as you are now, except try to drink half as many sugary drinks and supplement the rest with flavored water.

Once you think you've got that down, exchange the huge bag of chips you buy at the gas station for a smaller bag or even baked chips.

Once you've got that, try to eat some vegetables and fruits every day. If you eat them BEFORE the binge food, you may find that your stomach is too full for you to eat the same amount of calories that you normally would have.

Eventually you will work yourself up to a healthy diet, but in the mean time, you will be losing weight, gaining energy, saving money and feeling better about yourself. I've found that the easiest way to lose weight is to trick your body into not realizing you're changing it.

Anyway, that is just a suggestion. You should know that you're not alone, and you're not the only person who has gone through this. Many of us have, myself included. Good luck!
epicskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #3  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

I read a book called Brain Over Binge and it's really been helping me with my binge eating.

I had to set aside my goal to lose weight to take care of my goal to stop binge eating. Binge eating had to go first, and so far I'm doing well. I still overeat, but not by even 1/3 as much as a binge would have counted for.

For now my goal is to have a no-binge January, and I'm moving into a new place which I've vowed to never binge in. I'm also setting other health goals, such as eating healthier and cooking my meals and exercising a few times a week.

Binging is a difficult habit to break but it can be done.
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #4  
Newmala

S/C/G: 193/170/150

Height: 5'4"

I have been through the same thing as you. And to be honest, I catch myself falling back into those old habits some days but I feel terrible after doing it (both mentally and physically). When you start and exercise program and eating healthy you feel SO good, and you have so much energy. When you start to see a loss on the scale THAT is your motivation.

The way I started was fasting for a day. I only drank water and just kind of cleaned out my body to start new. It feels good..and you feel light and airy and you don't really want to put fast food and all that crap in your body because you don't want that feeling to go away.

Get a scale. Weigh yourself...and then weigh yourself a week later (ONLY ONCE A WEEK) and you WILL see a difference and that will motivate you to lose another pound or two the next week. Eating healthy and exercise are just as easy to get addicted to as fast food and soda.

Stop drinking soda, red bull, etc. I wouldn't keep taking excederin...stick with more natural remedies. I take Borage oil every morning and night. It helps with metabolism, belly fat, joint pain, skin...it's a miracle supplement and all natural.

Just get in a routine and do what makes you happy and makes you feel good! Work on your marriage too...do something nice for your husband and let him know you're making changes and that you appreciate him.

good luck sweetie!

p.s.
My favorite quote, that I read every morning on my wall keeps me going
"Actually, i just woke up one day and decided I didn't want to feel like that anymore, or ever again, so I changed....just like that"
Newmala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/177/150

Height: 5'3"

I think you've already taken the first step, which is to evaulate your bad habits and realize you need to change them, so yes! You are right, they are not healthy habits, they are causing you to be tired and are also creating that "lazy" feeling that holds you back from wanting to do anything. I am a lot like that, I went through a part of my life where I bought McDonald's everyday before school and would dispose of the "evidence". I felt good when I ate it and bad all the rest of the time.

What got me to change was the thought that this body I have has to last me the rest of my life, this body is a complicated machine that needs the right fuel to stay healthy and strong. It is hard work and sometimes seems thankless, but once you start something and notice the benefits you will thank yourself for starting.

Fast food is addicting and it takes discipline to quit. I wouldn't say give it up completely, but possibly use it as a reward system though I can be the first to admit that I don't lust over fast food as I use to in the beginning. Also, Think of those ten dollars or more spent on food being spent on clothes, beauty products, classes you'd enjoy, etc. think of the ten dollars being the cost of the toilet being flushed and nothing to show for it, because that literally is what is going on (with out being disgusting).

If I can do it so can you and you've already taken the first step! I personally do exercise and calorie counting, but there are many other ways to kick start a life change.

Bravo on this small step forward. I think there are also food related meetings for people who need the encouragement to keep from binging, similar to AA meetings. So, if that sounds like something g that interests you or is in your area is always another option for taking control.

Last edited by Annafterolin; 01-09-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Annafterolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalrus0 View Post
I read a book called Brain Over Binge and it's really been helping me with my binge eating..
+1. Was going to suggest this for some insight. Know you're not alone.
shelflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #7  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

I'm so sorry that you're going through this!
But I think you've gotten some really amazing advice from everyone.

Unfortunately I know how you feel. Sometimes I go along doing really well, without a binge for weeks, and then all of a sudden, BAM! I eat everything in sight (including things I don't even really like, it's SO BIZZARE). It feels like I am rebelling against myself, if that makes any sense. The latest cycle of this I went though lasted almost 2 weeks, it was terrible.....and it's no way to live.
But all the great advice and support you can get here will definitely help you, it's helped me and I've only been a member for about a week! You can do it, you just have to believe that it is possible.

I think that sometimes when we want something, we try for it superficially, but in the back of our minds we don't really BELIEVE that it's ever going to happen. That will sabotage you every time.....it does me, anyway. If you feel hopeless, you're going to act hopeless. So believe in yourself! I suggest you check out the "goals" thread....it's very motivational.

Wish you all the best!!!

A.W.
sunbeam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/*see ticker*/130

I used to do that as well (the crazy bingeing) and i don't anymore. I can't really say what it is that made me stop, except that there wasn't any shame in it anymore. since i live by myself, there was nobody to hide my binges from, and so i got into this kinda "whatever" frame of thinking. for a while, i was still eating a lot, but then i started just eating when i was hungry. even though they were still big fatty meals, they weren't crazy and compulsive, which i think was the first step.

i would also tend to go into binge mode when i was dieting. the whole feeling of "restriction" from eating anything good would make me snap after a week or a month, and then bam! a binge.

i think you have to be really careful and have to work on trying to get rid of your bingeing habits before you can even think of starting to lose the weight, because if you put yourself on a diet now, eventually, you will snap and go right back to your bad habits.

the causes of eating disorders and never about food, but always emotional. so try to work on that. find those triggers that make you want to binge and try to avoid them. eat the lovely dinner you make for your family so that you're not hungry enough to go out to the drive-tru.

there's also this book called "food: the good girl's drug" that was recommended to me (i haven't finished reading it) but it deals with the underlying emotional issues of people who have Binge Eating Disorder. I would suggest you read it!

I agree with what a lot of other people have said, regarding cutting the sugar drinks and eating clean, but ultimately, that should come second to you trying to get your BEO under control.

good luck, and we are here for you!
KawaiiCandie is offline   Reply With Quote