Old 10-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/280/180

Height: 6'1

Default Lost all motivation to work out and eat healthy

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum but I was hoping someone can help me. After losing 80 pounds during college I have regained it all in the last four years. I have been really depressed by this fact and it has started impacting other parts of my life (not wearing makeup since I don't feel attractive, not leaving the house because I'm not happy with the way I look, avoiding sex/intimate contact because undressing in front of a man would be awkward, etc.)

The last three months have been particularly crazy professionally and emotionally. i have a very stressful job with an up to an hour commute each way so takeout/drive thru foods have been my primary meal sources. In the past I have been able to keep a food journal for a week then I would have a cheat day and get discouraged. The same goes for working out- I am super excited for a week then take a day off and can't get my rhythm back.

This is where I am at. I need to make changes. I realized this last night as I tried on four pairs of "fat pants" that did not zip and I had to settle for wearing a skirt with elastic. I wanted to cry but I was so mad at myself at the same time.

Does anyone have advice to kick start me in a different direction? Thanks in advance.
Socalhockeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #2  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I think almost everyone here can identify with your post. I've certainly had periods where it's like I just don't feel like it anymore. Maybe try to make smaller changes. You don't have to be super on top of things with diet and exercise all at once. Maybe take a look at diet first of all. Okay so you may feel like take out is your only option for now, maybe plan ahead, look up menus in advance so that you don't get to the drive thru window and get whatever, you kind of have a game plan. Decide ahead of time, I'll get "ABC Fast Food" for dinner and I'll order their XYZ. It IS possible to take control of what goes into your mouth even with eating out. If for now, this is where you are, take as much control as you can.

Gradually, maybe you could start cooking ahead a few meals for the week. Pack a lunch ahead. You don't have to do all this at once. You can gradually add these things in. Then with exercise, maybe get a few workout dvds, so you can do at least 30 minutes in the morning before work or when you get home in the evening. Or park your car as far away as you can from your building so you have to walk a little extra. Take the stairs instead of the lift etc.

Nothing is more motivating than seeing results. Maybe gradually, you can pick a day of the week when you're not so busy (maybe a Saturday or Sunday) where you go to the gym and workout properly. Then gradually you can fit in another day and eventually another and so on. Be kind to yourself. No matter what you do, the weight is not going to disappear in one week. But the time is going to pass anyway so making little changes that are sustainable over time will probably benefit you in the long run. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Everyday is a new day and a new opportunity to be on plan. What happened yesterday doesn't have to influence what you will do today. You've never "blown" it. Each meal is an opportunity to make a healthy decision.

And then regarding self-image, I'm a student in the school of "fake it till you make it." Whatever your weight, you're a worthy person and definitely worth making the effort over and looking the best you can. Everything is so much harder if you don't believe you're worth the effort and I'm talking motivation-wise now. You have to believe in yourself and want this enough. You've lost a considerable amount of weight before so I imagine you know what it takes. We're all works in progress. Believe in yourself and don't let yourself be defeated by "fat pants." Be willing to fight and drag yourself in the right direction whether you feel like it or not. You can totally do this!!! You've done it before, and even if you hadn't; if you want it badly enough, you've got everything it takes.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #3  

Height: 5'2"

while its possible to make good choices for takeaway and drive thrus, you should really try to make some things up at home. it will be healthier..and cheaper! if you truly don't have the time..the grocery store even sells chicken breast that has been pre-cooked, ready to eat. there are also tons of delicious veggie combinations in the freezer aisle, almost all of them come with the option to microwave steam in the bag. you can make up a healthy meal super quick.

when i didn't have anything ready, i would sometimes stop at subway before work and get a 6" turkey sub with no cheese, dressings or condiments. just spinach, tomato, onion, and olives with a dash of red wine vinegar. this came in at about 300 calories and was filling. a greek yogurt is also a good on-the-go option. my favorite is vanilla..i find it tough to do plain yogurt!

then there are the obvious ones..SODA, or pop depending where you're from. drop it. that can be a good first goal. everything will fall into place. i'm a big believer of the domino effect..make one positive change and soon you will find yourself doing more and more.

once again..i can't say enough about myfitnesspal.com and the mobile app. i really think figuring out what your daily caloric intake is the first step. the website has a format almost similar to facebook with a newsfeed about what all your friends are up to in regards nutrition and exercise. it helps me stay motivated and on track.

Last edited by valalltogether; 10-15-2012 at 07:01 PM.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #4  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

You sound a lot like me, many people on here will really be able to identify with your story. I recently gained back 30lbs of the 55lbs I had lost last year, It really does mess with your emotions and effect all aspects of your life.

The absolute best advice I can give you, no matter how discouraged you get - don't stop trying. If you have a smart phone there are tons of free calorie counting applications, I used one of these when I started out because it was so convenient. I used one called myfitnesspal, you can track calories in, exercise, weight loss and tons of other things. If you think that might help you it is worth a try. Although you can control calories with fast food, I would really urge you to start packing lunches at home and taking them with you. Fast food is not nutritionally complex and I found I would be hungry again within 2 hours. I am with valalltogether, I also believe highly in the domino effect. Taking baby steps towards your goals with end up making you feel better about yourself and more motivated towards your goals.

Exercise is a hard one to get started on. The way I did it was set a goal for myself, I wanted to work out 3 times a week to begin with. Sometimes I hit it and sometimes I didn't but I kept on trying until I was consistently doing it. It really does become routine if you keep at it. If you hate the idea of going for a run or doing something cardio intensive start out with a simple brisk walk around the neighborhood. Any exercise is good exercise after all! You can move up at your own pace, remember weight loss is not a race. It's not about losing weight the fastest or being perfect. Its about you and how you feel.

I would also recommend getting a weight loss buddy! Someone you can complain to, ***** to, and ask for advice. Having someone there for you (even a stranger) really does wonders. I am always available if you need someone, for anything!

Good luck on your journey!
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #5  
Excited!

S/C/G: 260/See Ticker!/150

Height: 5'2''

Dang... are we the same person?! I guess our situations are bit different but the timing was different. I lost about 40 pounds in high school, and then regained that and an additional 30 pounds by the end of college.

During my senior year of college, I probably started and stopped dieting 100 times. I wasted so much time beating myself up over eating poorly that I didn't even enjoy it, and then when I would diet for a week and then get off track I felt so discouraged!

About three weeks ago, I was trying clothes on and literally couldn't wear any of my jeans. Not one pair. I was stuck wearing my stretchy black pants and dresses with spanx... what a wake up call. That was really what I needed to make myself to start and keep going. That afternoon I joined a gym and haven't looked back since.

Now, there are a few things I did different this time that I think have REALLY made a big difference,and that was...:

1. I made a weight loss chart and hung it in my bathroom on the wall...I bought a picture frame on clearance at Michaels for $2 and framed a piece of posterboard cut to size. On the posterboard I made 12 columns: Week/M/T/W/TR/FR/SA/SU/Goal/Lbs Lost/Total Lost. Basically, the weeks are just week 1, week 2, etc. I set a goal every week, track how much I weigh each day, how many lbs i lose in one week,a nd then the total amount lost so far. It is an EXCELLENT source of motivation for me. Even though I track my weight somewhere else (mentioned below), I love seeing my chart fill up every day. The best part is that I just use a dry erase marker so once the chart fills up, I can wipe it off and start over!

2. I Downloaded MyFitnessPal on my iPhone, iPad and bookmarked it on my laptop and work computer. I LOVE THIS APP! I can't say that enough. At first I thought I would only use it to track what I ate (i'm a calorie counter), but I also track my weight and workouts. It's a huge factor for me because I can easily see how many cals Im eating, whats left for the day, what my patterns are, etc. I just love it!

3. I portion all my food (that can be portioned) as soon as I get it. I have about a hundered zip lock bags floating around my cabinet now and while it might look unorganized to someone else, I know where everything is. All my cereal, special k cracker chips, pretzels, etc. are all portioned so when I grab a snack, I know I'm not over eating.

4. I have to be a little honest here... I've only been to the gym twice and each time I only did one thing: cardio on the elliptical for about 45 minutes. Honestly, I don't even hate myself for it. I'm slowly integrating going to the gym into what was already a really set schedule. It's taking time but I'm getting there.

5.Don't beat yourself up for not doing what they're doing. Here's what I mean: I hate running. I hate it, hate it, hate it. I have a friend who lost probably 75 lbs and runs regularly now. Ever since she found out im dieting and working out she's been trying to convince me to run... she'll say things like, "you've got to run to lose weight!" or "you'll love it once you make yourself do it." Um, wrong. I think it's great that it works for her but I refuse to be miserable when I can easily find another great workout that I actually like. Noone loves being sweaty and gross and getting up an hour earlier to workout when they could be fast asleep, but there are ways to make it bearable. Don't make yourself hate the workout because you'll just want to quit.

Hope it helps, dear. I've lost 12 pounds in less than 3 weeks and those tips have all helped me stay on track this time. Good luck!
onic28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #6  

Height: 5'10

You sound like me in the past. You really need to come around otherwise things won't get better. And you can change things. I would recommend reading a good personal development book to develop some faith into your capabilities.
brethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #7  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 189/see ticker/127

Height: 5'7"

I can relate. One day at a time...and remember "if it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you" losing weight is not easy, but it is possible. Keep things close that motivate you to keep focused on your goal and/or mini goals. (((HUGS)))
ToriJ84 is offline   Reply With Quote