Old 06-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #1  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Default 77LBS and lipo/skin removal

Hi all, I'm about 45 pounds down from my highest weight, and about 40 up from my lowest weight as an adult. I have approximately 77 pounds total to lose, and like everybody else I am anxious to get to that goal; but I feel like my impatience is worse than most. I'm 23 years old, and it seems like if I work out vigorously everyday, and keep my diet in perfect check, it is still unlikely that I would lose 3 pounds in a week even once in a while. Plus I have frequent and extended plateaus. My body likes to be fat (it ALWAYS was), its just frustrating (rant over). Now to the questions. Even though I am so young my hanging arm fat is EXTREME, I am really self conscious about it, and I can't look good unless it is covered, which is annoying and looks stupid in this weather (not to mention I get boils and sores in the folds of my arms). And I have a similar problem with my lower stomach, I'm actually quite fine with the rest of my body. SO...Do you suppose I can get lipo and skin removal before I am done losing all the weight? (as in, will a surgeon do it, and will it be affective?). I'm in a position where I can save most of the money I make, so I can pay for it...I'm aware these things are really expensive, but I understand they have payment plans. Does anyone know how much each procedure or both together might cost? Would a surgeon do both an arm skin removal and a tummy tuck at the same time? Has anyone been through the process and can share their experience with me?

I know that was a little convoluted, thanks for bearing with me, and thanks in advance for your advice
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #2  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Hey there!

Surgery seems quite extreme to be honest, and I'd imagine it would mean that you'd have to rest for a while and not workout?

To be honest I'd say wait until you lose more and get closer to your goal. Also heavy weight lifting seems to do a lot to help loose skin and really tighten things up. After you lose weight it does generally seem to keep shrinking and you're very young too.

You've lost a lot of weight already, you're doing really well! 3lbs a week is a lot to lose in a week and not everyone can achieve this kind of weight loss. What kind of diet are you doing? Calorie counting? If you're calorie counting are you sure you're doing it as accurately as possible? It's really easy to underestimate things and portion control is often way off. Not passing any judgement here just wondering. Also how long have you been losing weight for?

It's a long and bumpy road and sure I'm also anxious to get to goal but I have to remember that even though I'm not losing all of the weight over night I am still losing faster than I gained. I am getting healthier every day. I did this to myself, I made choices that led to how I look and now I want to take care of myself. It's not a race.

Whatever you decide I hope it makes you happy. Good luck and take care of yourself!
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #3  
On my way

Well, I've been losing (and gaining) for just over 4 years. But its not as simple as all that. I was 10 pounds the day I was born, and over 200 pounds by the time I was 11 or so. and over 250 by the time i was 18. So having gained weight in that context is strange to calculate for me because It seems like it was always there. It took me over two years to lose the 90ish pounds that I lost, and I became depressed at a point and gained 60 of it back in less than 4 months...That was at least a year and a half ago...so as far as losing faster than I gain: never ever. I would be almost sure that there is something wrong with me given the stats, but I have been to various doctors multiple times to get everything checked and they say everything is fine. I guess the problem is EVERYONE in my family on both sides is really large (even my brother and dad who do running, weight lifting and all types of marshal arts for a living). I do lift weights, and I have been...I'm quite sure nothing other than surgery will fix my hanging skin (that also happens to be genetic). I count calories AND I try to eat 90% whole foods. I feel as though if I starve and don't eat at all, I'll see some loss, if I eat my suggested weight loss calories I'll maybe maintain or gain a little, if I go over I'll gain rapidly, and if I eat under my suggested weight loss calories I'll lose very slowly. I've been to nutritionists and they give me 1000-1200 calorie diets, and for me, with my size and activity level its not realistic. I need at least 1500 calories a day. (I track my calories on the daily plate and I try to OVER estimate the caloric value of what I'm inputting) It seems sadly that I'm fighting a more difficult battle against genetics...which I WILL win, like I said its just frustrating to see my friends in their 30's drinking (I don't drink) and carrying on and eating whatever they want and being normal weights, while I don't do that, and I'm 80 pounds over weight. As for surgery I would no way get it now, I was just wondering when I should, like if I could at all before goal (cause I imagine it will take a few pounds off I have no idea how many, and surely a lot of bulk, idk what to expect) Ideally I'd like to do it around 170 I just don't know if that's good. Thank you very much for chatting with me.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #4  

ultimately it's your decision, but here is how i feel about the matter:

there are risks with any medical procedure, and you need to fully understand them before going through with it. i'm not trying to scare you, but my mother had a work friend who underwent a procedure like this and didn't make it. i'm not sure what the complications were.

say, you get the surgery. this is not a permanent solution. you can still gain weight right back, so living a healthy lifestyle is still going to have to be a part of your life regardless.

to me, i think getting there yourself will be more rewarding... but, it is up to you. you can do it quickly, spend money and take risks. or you can do it slowly, cheaper with less risks. if its summer you are concerned about, i'm pretty sure it will come and go by the time you're able to set up and pay for the procedure anyhow.

just a thought, and just my 2 cents. good luck!

edit: as a side note about your lifelong struggle, be sure you don't have a thyroid problem, pcos or the like.

Last edited by valalltogether; 06-23-2012 at 01:14 PM.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/263/165

Height: 5'9

Honey, I'm 31 and when I workout the skin firms up. Trust me I have the BEST batwings out there. They do firm up. Just keep exercising and trust in the process. If you work out while exercising you will tone those parts. Speaking from experience. Hold off on that. I always say if I get to goal and maintain for 6 months and I'm uncomfortable with my arms I will do something then.
ALEKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #6  
On my way

I've been so thoroughly checked by doctors for any health problems, I'd like to believe I had one so it could be solved and I'd have an easier time of it, but apparently not. Although I have read many books and articles on the subject of genetics and they say that 65% of what your body actualizes is due to genetics and the remaining 35% is what is affected by what you do...and I guess that varies by how extreme whatever you do is. Also I read a book called "why we are fat and what to do about it" and my race (Neapolitan female) tends to have some of the most intense fat storage genes. I am assuming there is SOMETHING I can do to lose this weight on my own, and I intend to, but given previous results, it seems impossible. All my doctors suggested WLS but I am not willing to jump though all those hoops they want me to in order to allow the surgery and for insurance to cover it. I am after all, a human being and not a poodle. I am not saying I want surgery to remove the fat, and fix my weight problem that way, I'm saying that I would like to get my hanging skin (and whatever fat hangs in it) fixed sooner than later. I understand that this kind of surgery tends to have more risks than others, and that is mildly frightening, but thinking of living my entire life with large portions of skin hanging everywhere and NEVER being able to dress the way I want ideally...that is terrifying. I guess it is better to wait until I've lost like 90% of the weight I intend to lose. Probably the best solution would be to go for a consultation, but I don't know if the surgeon would want what's best for me, or what's best for him.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #7  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Overestimating? Are you guessing the amounts? Are you weighing and measuring every bite of food you eat? So you know exactly to the gram how much you are eating and how many calories? Have you been consistently eating at a calorie deficit for months and not lost anything? To be honest it doesn't sound like something's wrong with you, you just need to stick with it. If you go off the wagon so to speak you will gain the weight back. When you get to goal you won't be able to eat huge amounts of whatever you like either. This is something you'll have to deal with for life, all of us here will. We have to learn healthy habits and make sure that they stay habits.

Sure genetics may play a part but not that big a part (I really don't think so).. I'd say you were being over fed from a young age and that's why you've gained weight. If you've had your health checked out and there's nothing wrong you'll have to trust that.

Have you been tested for PCOS?
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #8  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

What's the hurry? I'm 6 years older than you and I still consider myself very young. The skin does firm up. I've had 2 huge pregnancies and 100 lbs + lost now. I don't have any loose skin on my stomach anymore (just stretch marks... but meh). Give it time!

I think it's a VERY bad idea to get lipo unless you're already at goal. Lipo works much better for minor sculpting. The results are not ideal if you have a lot to lose. If you go through with it, and gain weight back, it will come back in areas where the fat wasn't removed. It's not pretty.

Stick with it. The only way to fail is to give up.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #9  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I had my boobs done after I lost my weight and hit goal, so I'm not against plastic surgery.

But it seems like all of your posts are kind of "doomed before you even start". It's really hard to feel motivated and determined to lose weight if you truly believe your genetics are making it impossible. I'm glad you got checked by a doctor, because there are real medical conditions that can make losing weight very hard to near impossible. But that is rare!

In 1991 (I think..gotta find the link) there were only a handful of US states than had an adult obesity rate higher than 15%. Now there ISN'T EVEN ONE STATE that has less than 15% adult obesity. I find it mind boggling that we have existed for thousands of years, but the fat gene has only come out in the last 20 years! HUH?? We all have to take responsibility for WHAT makes us fat.

I have PCOS. My insulin resistance makes it hard to lose weight. Fact. But I let that diagnosis pre-determine my weight story. I "couldn't" lose weight, so why try? Oh...then I would try, but not very HARD. I mean, after all, I had a condition that made is impossible to lose weight, right? And I have small children. Moms of small children can not POSSIBLY lose weight with our hectic lives, right? LOL (I hear that a lot and fell victim to that lie as well.)

I suggest you take an honest look at the emotional and habitual things that might be making you struggle with weight. Maybe try journaling. There may in fact be things beyond your control that make it hard to lose weight. Most of us have at least one barrier: work schedule, no support, finances, joint pain, smoking habit, food addiction, etc, etc, etc.

Don't let YOU get in the way of YOUR SUCCESS. Good luck!

Last edited by ChickieChicks; 06-23-2012 at 05:54 PM.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote