Old 05-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/149/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Muscle Pain and Getting Back In Shape

Hey Guys,

So I've only been working out about 3 times a week since last week, and every time it hurts the next day, which is to be expected. I just wonder, how do you know when you're actually hurting yourself? I know that's probably not the case, and it's most likely just getting back into a routine. Either way, how long does it usually take to stop feeling every muscle you use hurt? What do you do to massage them out? Stretch? Yoga? I'm just curious as to what other people have experienced
spiritualflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

I actually strive to make myself hurt (in moderation). I want to grow muscle, and the only way to do that is to tear it a little, and you're going to feel that. However, I know if I have injured myself because it's not that burning feeling you get with movement. It's either a sharp stabbing pain during workout (like yesterday when I hurt my back-again), or it's a pain felt after workout that's quite different. It may be hard to distinguish at first, but if you get better within a day or two, it's likely just delayed onset muscle soreness. Any pain that lingers and does not clear up most likely is not muscle soreness. Also, I try to stretch thoroughly after working out when my muscles are fully warmed up and have good blood flow, and I always cool down and warm up for 5-10 minutes prior by walking, jogging or jumping rope. Also, I never increase my workouts by more than 10 percent, either in distance or intensity. You should also stop lifting if you feel actual pain during a movement, as well as during cardio. Discomfort and pain are two different things, and I have found out the hard way too many times. If you have someone that can massage and gently stretch sore muscles, this is heavenly, and seems to be the thing to help me a lot. Happy exercising!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/230/165

Height: 5'9

Sore muscles will go away. Eventually, you will be building muscle without the soreness. The soreness does not necessarily indicate higher levels of hypertrophy that cause the muscle-building process. Eccentric movements often do and using the muscle in new ways. When we first begin exercising (lifting especially. yikes!), we are going to be very sore. As long as it does not interfere with your form, you can keep lifting. I would; however, focus on different muscle groups. Good luck!
glittergation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #4  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Muscle pain feels good usually but if it's too intense I like to take an epsom salt bath a day or two. That usually does the trick.
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #5  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

Stretching is good. Start off slowly and focus on good form. The soreness shouldn't last much longer than the next day usually.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/154/130

Height: 5'4"

You've been at this for a few weeks now, so your muscles should start becoming stronger and be more used to the activity. Having been a soccer player my whole life, I've had my fair share of pulled muscles, and as everyone above has said, pain and discomfort are 2 different things. If the pain is concentrated in one specific area versus spread over a muscle group, then it could be more than soreness. Also, when I'm sore (as I am now) the discomfort is WAY worse at the beginning at the workout than at the end. If you're actually injured the pain will not ease during a workout and might even worsen.

These 2 things have been the biggest indicators for me. Hope this helps!
Kristi22 is offline   Reply With Quote