Old 03-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #1  

Default When people correctly guess your weight...

How do you feel?
I'm not at my goal weight yet so I'm like "ohhh..." and then i get all self conscious about like what if I lose 20 lbs will they be able to guess that? Do they think that my weight is hefty now? Will they think I look OK? And then I tell myself Stop worrying about what others think!
Sometimes I would like to go to work in a tent till I got to goal weight though lol.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #2  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

First, try to stay out of the "Guess my weight" conversations to begin with! They're truly a no-win situation.

I have a sister who is really competitive about weight. I was always a size or so bigger than her until we both had kids, and now the roles have been reversed. Every time she comes home she corners me to ask how much I weigh now, what size I'm in, etc. If I give vague answer she'll corner me for a specific one. Like you, I get all awkward and in the past have stammered out my numbers. Then she promptly tells me that she's lighter now (She's not), so I feel like crap.

This time around, I knew it would happen and practiced a vague response that I stuck too even with prying. Eventually she gave up. If someone asks how much you weigh or tries to guess, you don't have to answer. It's not any of their business.

As for what people think: Does it matter? You're working your plan and will meet your goals regardless of what people think. Dwelling on "Does she think I'm a cow" will just mess with your head. Been there, done that.
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #3  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

i don't play the game, but i do have friends that ask me how much i've lost every single time i see them. this one girl particularly, whom i have a bond of sorts with. regardless every time i see her, she wants to go out to eat - where i will let her eat, and have a coffee or tea.

she will then proceed to tell me how tiny i am, ask how much i've lost, and how much i weigh now. before, she was guaging whether i was bigger then her - she weighs about 180, 5'4. now, i am very clearly smaller then her- and every time i update a picture on facebook she will tell me how little i look, and ask prying questions.
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #4  
one more time...

Stimkovs - I think your friend might be my sister! LOL
Old 03-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #5  

I don't play guess my weight games. It was asked out of the blue when there were gym brochure games. I tend to stay out of weight convos, but in an office environment, or mine at least with so many trying to lose weight, the subject just pops up even if I don't bring it up.

EDIT-On the plus side, I was really pleased that I didn't freak out. I actually didn't have to fake being calm when she was guessing (not in a malicious way, I think that she was just gauging because I said that I wasn't sure)
I think that its a good sign because comments about weight gain or loss are sure to come, but I feel a lot more confident than when I first lost (and then regained) the weight. if that happened to me like 5 years ago I would have freaked out for days. Baby steps!

Last edited by pixelllate; 03-28-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #6  
one more time...

My apologies for assuming you got into that conversation by choice. Congrats for not freaking out, that's a great step! And I hate the weight questions that pop up. It's bad enough when one person in my life does it, can't imagine dealing with an entire office! Ugh.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #7  

brooskibabe, I'm glad that you came up with a response for when it happens! Sisters can be very very annoying when it comes to weight-my sister is very supportive of the people in her office trying to lose, but when it comes to me, nothing but criticism!
We'll both stay strong tho! (and fit)
Old 03-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm not in my twenties, but this is a topic I am passionate about (and really have been not only since my twenties, but even in my teen years amd before that).

How do I feel when people correctly guesses my weight, either out of the blue or because I asked them to?

Absolutely Freakin' Fantabulously happy and excited!

Why?

I was put on my first diet in kindergarten and joined WW with my mother when I was 8 (the youngest age you could join and it had to be with a parent), and for as long as I can remember, I've never understood all the hypocracy and secrecy around the issue of weight. Even as a child I could tell that many women absolutely had to be lying about their weight (If they were taller than me, fatter than me, and yet claimed they weighed 20 lbs less than I did, I was pretty sure they were lying).

Even as a kid I thought "what on earth does the actual number matter? Isn't how you look and feel a lot more important?"

So many people lie about their weight that almost no one knows what weight "looks like." It ticks me off, because people would say (and mean) "you can't weigh more than 300 lbs" WHEN I WAS NEARLY 400.

They didn't know what 400 lbs looked like, because they'd never heard anyone admit to weighing more than 300 lbs.

It drives me bat-crap crazy to hear people lie about their weights and their ages. If you say you're much younger or thinner than you really are, others will know that you're lying or worse they will assume you just look terrible for your weight/age.

But lying is so common that I'm not at all "flattered" when people assume I weigh less than I do. It makes me ANGRY, to the point of pure RAGE because it reflects the shame our culture pins to weight. It's so shameful, you're SUPPOSED to lie about what everyone can perfectly see the lie (or should be able to if they have any touch with reality).

If we (as a culture) had any sympathy whatsoever to weight issues, the numbers wouldn't be kept so hidden or secret. Learning to somewhat accurately guess another person's size and weight range isn't rocket science, we'd all be able to do it, if it wasn't considered "taboo" knowledge.

I know I've ranted, but as I said, this is a personal hot-topic for me. I wish everyone could feel confident enough to report their weight with no more qualms than sharing their eye-color.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-28-2012 at 09:18 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #9  

Growing up, my family was always candid about weight-weighing themselves in front of each other and they would use it to "jab" at me, like my uncle would underguess my weight as a kid "what is she 100 lbs?" when I clearly wasn't, just so my parents would say "no she is so huge, much much heavier than that!" and my too high or too low weight was always a topic at the dinner table. I developed a habit of covering my ears whenever they started talking. So I guess its not the feeling of...how thin I look in comparison to my weight, I guess I feel more self conscious of people's judgement of my weight itself-as if it comes with other issues (questions that I heard growing up-she's that weight? How'd she get to be THERE?) and if that happens to decrease from my weight loss efforts, what they will think of that. I'm working on my confidence issues in general, weight is def one of them.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I don't mind telling people what I weigh because I'm proud to have lost what I have so far. That being said, my mom can be a very cruel person and used my size against me my whole life. I know I wasn't fat growing up, but I sure as heck thought I was. Now she says I act like a b**** because I'm "so skinny". I'm not skinny! I'm barely not obese anymore. But she is, so now that's how she attacks me. Once my parents asked me (being nice that day) how the weight loss was going, and I told them what I weighed and said it was going slowly lately. They both looked uncomfortable and said to never tell people what I weigh. Um, I think it's the other way around - it's rude to ask, not to tell!
It's just a number to me now so I don't care. But when I started losing I was VERY self conscious about my weight. My ex didn't even know how high it was. He assumed I had about 10lbs on him when it was really 30 or more.

Last edited by MusicalAstronaut; 03-29-2012 at 08:52 AM.
MusicalAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #11  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I'm really not embarassed but that's probably because 1) I know I still look good being at my weight. 2) people think I'm 10 pounds lighter than I really am and 3) because **** happens, sometime we get fat.

I have no problem telling people my weight they don't see me naked and I look awesome in clothing LOL!
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #12  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

I feel fine if they're right. It's when they guess high I get a little pissed.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #13  
threenorns

nobody EVER EVER EVER guesses my correct weight.

they consistently underestimate.

i remember talking with a lady 6" taller than me and about 4 dress sizes larger and she was flummoxed to find that we were only 15lbs apart (i was 220, she was 235). i totally believe her, too: she wasn't strong enough to lift a basket full of wet laundry.