Old 08-25-2011, 11:56 PM   #1  
Healthy student

S/C/G: 200 / ticker / 135

Default Balancing School / Weight?

Hey fellow 20-somethings! I know that some of you must be students like myself, so I was wondering if anyone else is worried about remaining disciplined as college begins again? I have just started really losing weight this summer, and I want to continue, but I'm afraid that classes will get in the way. I'm always just trying to fit in another studying hour into my schedule. I don't want my stress to stop the recent motivation I've been experiencing. I want to continue my exercise and healthy eating!

Anyone else thinking along these lines? What are your plans for continued motivation?
PollifaxFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

When I first dieted, I went to back to college about a week after. I found that it was easier for me to stay on plan, because I didn't have all this free time to think about eating junk.

Like you, when I'm busy, I'm not going to make my way to the school's gym. It just doesn't happen, no matter how many times I tell myself I will. So now I work out from home, and I'm proud to say that I do it atleast 5-6 times a week. There are no excuses at home for me not to do it. I'm going to watch tv for an hour anyway, right? Might as well be moving while I'm watching.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #3  
Healthy student

I do find that it's helpful to have a stationary bike in the house, despite it not being the best (my behind goes numb after thirty minutes!) and there being that glass of wall between me and the sidewalk (Not that people stare or anything, haha, and there are half-window curtains.)

Did you / do you live far from your school gym? I go to college in a city, and my dorm is right next to the very small school gym. Best case scenario, I will indeed find a half-hour every other day to definitely take care of my exercise, but I basically go into hibernation mode around finals. Usually I live off snacks from the vending machine, although that obviously can't happen anymore (goodbye instant snack.)

Last edited by PollifaxFive; 08-26-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 335/188.5/165

Height: 5'10 1/2

Yes. I'm worried about not being able to keep up the requirements of the diet plan I've been on for about a month. I took summer courses, but only was taking one the second summer session when I started. I now have FIVE classes on two different campuses, plus I'm president of a student organization, actively looking for a job and trying to keep up with workout classes and eating/cooking the right meals.
Aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/*ticker*/123

Height: 5'2"

Hey, there are a bunch of us on here actually We had an active thread for college girls then opened a new one for a summer break challenge. We are going to be starting a new thread in about 2 weeks or so and it's going to be a "first term challenge" in which we set goals and weigh in weekly together and it's focused on the challenges we experience as college students. It's a great support group and we all understand each other's experiences. Join us!!!
AshleighAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #6  
Healthy student

@Ashleigh AO, Oh, wow, that sounds great! I will go and find that and definitely join in. Thanks!

@Aishah, it sounds like you'll be even busier than me, but if you can do it, I know I can. We will both have to find time! I just hope that my mind will be as open to "finding time" in two weeks as it is now.

Last edited by PollifaxFive; 08-26-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #7  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Hey

What about training DVDs? Like Zumba, 30 Day Shred or Hip Hop abs? Anything you enjoy! If you don't have much time there is workouts that you can do in 20 minutes. Any excercise is better than nothing right? Well done on your 21lb lost Goodluck!
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #8  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

I think excersise is going to HELP you get through college more relaxed. The fitting it into a hectic schedule part is maybe stressful, but the benefit of feeling nice after the gym must outweigh that. Daily excersise is recommended for everyone, not just "us" trying to loose a few pounds. Just do your best to fit it in a way that works for you, from home, or at the gym. Instead of that TV hour, or instead of an extra hour of sleep in the morning.

It's not like life is gonna be less hectic after college, believe me I'm gonna be doing a fulltime job and finishing up university this year. But if you ever want kids or a really challenging job (id think so, or else why go to college?) then you have to learn to fit it into "busy-ness" anyhow.

Goodluck with that! And please, don't let yourself see a busy lifestyle as an "excuse" to not have to excersise - it's a must for a lifetime of health no matter what life throws at you. Just find a way that works. Thatsall.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/*ticker*/123

Height: 5'2"

Yeah Pollifax- come anytime. We are almost done with the back to school challenge but we still have new girls joining in all the time either to set a short term goal if school starts soon or just to say hi and talk about the anxiety of it starting.

You have a great start already! I hope it carries into school for you. I am not a fan of stationary bikes because of the booty numbness lol but I wish I had that or a treadmill at home. I live off campus and commute but I do go to a gym in town (I actually work at a major gym chain :P) So I'm hoping to keep up with that when school starts. I know even though I had memberships to gyms while in school before, I get really focused on school and then become exhausted from homework and studying that working out becomes something i will do "later" and later never comes. Do you get like that???
AshleighAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #10  
Healthy student

@melodymist, I have tried workout DVDs, but I never get into a great sweat, although they’re very good for flexibility and whatnot. I will also be living between two other dorms with paper-thin walls, so I don’t want to make too much noise. However, I will be fitting those in once and while!

@philana, You made some good points. I hope that maybe exercise will extend my energy, and you’re right, it’s a lifestyle choice. Everyone should exercise daily, and it’s not like I should stop when (I had to backspace an “if” there, haha) I reach my goal weight. When will you be creating the first semester challenge?

@AshleighAO, Yes, I feel like I get tired very quickly after class, and I’m definitely not a morning person. I guess I’ll have to find the motivation to make exercise work with my schedule, even if that means mornings.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #11  

Hey there, I graduated from college. I found it easier than home because I knew what I had to get done at college so I was in a "work" state. So at times when I got tired of studying, I would procrastinate by putting in an hour at gym that I would have spent on Youtube. Or I would go late at night, when I would not have studied anywyas.
The only tough part is that during finals, I would stay up and want to eat. Now I can resist that, but its like-I wanted to feel satisfied so that I could continue to study, and it would give me quick energy. Other than finals week tho, exams tend to be spread out. Being in a routine state-you already know how ur days will go with classes, clubs etc, is good cause you can plan a diet through that. But at home, at least for me, it was hard cause its like eh who knows what will happen next and if im already in a relaxed state, im lazy about everything.
Seeing all the cute college girls motivated me-I wanted to be one of them! lol
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #12  
Insanity Round 3!!!!

S/C/G: 168/134/138

Height: 5'6"

Pollifax-I am done with both undrgrad and post grad, and I just had my second baby. I agree with a lot of the ladies here, getting used to the hectic would be a good idea right now since you ARE so busy lol! Trust me it does not slow down from here after you finish, a hubby, kids, new jobs will always make you feel like you don't have time for yourself. That is what exercise should be-TIME FOR YOU TO FOCUS ON YOU! Time when you don't think about class or tests etc. That might help you mindset wise. Also I noticed you said you don't get a burn from DVD workouts? You should Google Insanity. I am doing Round 2 right now and let me tell you, I was a collegiate soccer player and hubby was a collegiate football player (4 yrs for each of us) and oh man does it kick your a**! Good luck and hope we can help you out, keep us posted !
munstermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 335/188.5/165

Height: 5'10 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollifaxFive View Post
@Ashleigh AO, Oh, wow, that sounds great! I will go and find that and definitely join in. Thanks!

@Aishah, it sounds like you'll be even busier than me, but if you can do it, I know I can. We will both have to find time! I just hope that my mind will be as open to "finding time" in two weeks as it is now.
I know! It's finding the time that's the problem. There aren't enough hours in the day it seems. But, it really really really helps to know there are others out there going through the same things! We can do it! And it will all be so worth it.
Aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #14  
Healthy student

@ pixelllate, Isn’t that the truth? This last week of vacation, I have nothing to do all day. So, I basically focus on imagining myself exercising in the future. I think about it for a few hours, and then I did it, feeling bored and lazy as I bicycle away. I’m so tired when I’ve had nothing to do all day!

@ munstermommy, Sounds like you were super athletic. I’ve always been more artsy, but I’d like to take up hiking eventually. And you’re right. It only gets busier. We’ve got to make the time!

@ Aishah, I hear that! I’ll fit it into my schedule somehow. >.> Self v. Schedule
Old 08-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #15  
I am worth it!

S/C/G: 258/240.8/170

Height: 5'05"

I am with you! I work 43 hours a week and I'm doing 4 classes this semester. Work 8-4:30 then school 6/ 7:30-9 Mon-Thursday. Study and online classes on the weekend. WHEW!!! On Monday/ Wednesday my classes are 7:30-9, so I have 3 hours between work and school to workout. I mountain bike Mon/ Wed/ Fri My biggest issue seems to be money/ food! Healthy food is expensive sometimes!!! Seems like I either have the workouts or the food on track, but never both at the same time! haha
MosesMom1 is offline   Reply With Quote