Old 01-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #1  
Work it out.

Default The Number On The Scale Will Not Change. Help?

This is my 3rd attempt at losing weight and I think my body is giving up on me. I have lost only 14 pounds since October. The weight is coming off so slow, and although you can see changes in my appearance, the numbers are not going down.

So far, I have hired a personal trainer and have been working out with her since November. I also have been eating a lot healthy, workout about 5 days out the week, and attend fitness classes such as Zumba and weight training classes, but the weight is not going down. I feel like throwing the towel and just giving up. All this hard work and money but no real results. I don't know what else to do anymore. Help?
motivation86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Are you tracking what you are eating? Do you know how many calories you are taking in per day? Do you weigh and measure your food? Can you post a sample menu? are you taking body measurements, too, to track change that way?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

It took me 10 months to take off 30 lbs, so I'd kill to have lost 14 since october! That said, I would say you should measure success on change in appearance or measurements. Whatever you do, don't give up because things don't move. Remember the 14 you've lost. Imagine starting all over again, only to run into another plateau and give up again because you can't wait. We're all impatient for the weight to be gone, but we must understand we want to banish it for good this time. There is no time limit to lifestyle change. hope this helps. Oh, and drink water!
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #4  
Work it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
Are you tracking what you are eating? Do you know how many calories you are taking in per day? Do you weigh and measure your food? Can you post a sample menu? are you taking body measurements, too, to track change that way?
I honestly don't know how many calories I am eating, but I am not eating bad at all, maybe somewhere between 1200-1500(it varies) but I weigh over 250 pounds. I dont weigh and measure my food, but I might just do that again. I use to log in my food and lost a ton of weight but it takes to much time to log that in everyday, but I'll try again, but I honestly dont eat bad. I eat pretty healthy
Old 01-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by motivation86 View Post
I honestly don't know how many calories I am eating, but I am not eating bad at all, maybe somewhere between 1200-1500(it varies) but I weigh over 250 pounds. I dont weigh and measure my food, but I might just do that again. I use to log in my food and lost a ton of weight but it takes to much time to log that in everyday, but I'll try again, but I honestly dont eat bad. I eat pretty healthy
I eat healthy, too, but I still managed to get to 190 pounds by just eating too much healthy food.

There are free online plans like Sparkpeople or Daily Plate where you can easily log your foods so that you know how many calories you are getting. It's easy to let portions creep up. It should take a lot of time, most times you can copy meals from day to day so if you eat the same breakfast or lunch you just copy it.

Try measuring and counting calories again for a few weeks and see if that does it.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #6  
Work it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthebox View Post
It took me 10 months to take off 30 lbs, so I'd kill to have lost 14 since october! That said, I would say you should measure success on change in appearance or measurements. Whatever you do, don't give up because things don't move. Remember the 14 you've lost. Imagine starting all over again, only to run into another plateau and give up again because you can't wait. We're all impatient for the weight to be gone, but we must understand we want to banish it for good this time. There is no time limit to lifestyle change. hope this helps. Oh, and drink water!

You think 14 pounds is good? That makes me feel better because when I watch shows like "I Used To Be Fat" and the "Biggest Loser" I feel like a failure

Its been 2 weeks now and the number have been the same on the scale and I swear I have been pushing myself a lot. I am hoping by May I will lose 30 more pounds but its getting so much harder.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #7  
Work it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
I eat healthy, too, but I still managed to get to 190 pounds by just eating too much healthy food.

There are free online plans like Sparkpeople or Daily Plate where you can easily log your foods so that you know how many calories you are getting. It's easy to let portions creep up. It should take a lot of time, most times you can copy meals from day to day so if you eat the same breakfast or lunch you just copy it.

Try measuring and counting calories again for a few weeks and see if that does it.
Thank you! I will do that again and see if that works again for me, I am hoping to get back to my healthy self again
Old 01-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

14 pounds lost in 3 months is excellent !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I lose exactly 5 lbs. a month so you are right on track with me and I've lost 45 lbs. if it makes you feel better.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 216/210/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
You think 14 pounds is good? That makes me feel better because when I watch shows like "I Used To Be Fat" and the "Biggest Loser" I feel like a failure
Please don't compare yourself to people on reality shows, especially one like the Biggest Loser. I love the show, but those people have everything at their disposal - doctors, top-of-the-line trainers, chefs, and exercise equipment, and, more importantly, isolation from everything that was keeping them fat. (The thought of winning all that money probably helps quite a bit, too!) The majority of us would have results like BL contestants if we could lose weight in a setting like that, but we live in the real world. We have to deal with temptations, school, work, and life in general; not to mention that most of us are probably losing weight on our own and don't have the type of resources available to us that BL contestants do.

You have to put things into perspective and think about what you can do in your own situation, not what people on a reality show are doing. You don't have to be a BL contestant to lose a bunch of weight. You won't lose weight as quickly as they do, but you can lose just as much! People were doing it before BL and people are still doing it now.

Last edited by Northern Belle; 01-23-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Northern Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

I agree with everybody you are loosing about a pound a week which is the average, slow and steady is the best to loose it is kinder on your body and you have more chance to keep it off. Do not give up on your exercises it will give you a toned body and you will loose inches even if the pounds are still there since you will replace fat by muscle.

Do not compare also with those show, it is totally hnrealistic and they use methods that are dangerous to their health on the long run.

Keep thé good work you are doing great.
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Yes, it IS good! If you continue losing at that pace, by summer you'll be considerably slimmer. Slow weight loss is not a bad thing, and I agree with others that those shows are so unrealistic, and often times the contestants do gain the weight back. Sad but true.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 168/168/135ish

Height: 5'4"

for me the hardest part about loseing weight is finding my target calorie count! i thought eating 1100 was enough but i recently found out that for the amount of excersize i was doing that i needed to up my calories to 1400! so i think its just finding your target calorie count. my new system works like this:

start at 1200 and if you work out for less than 30 mins a day stay at that calorie count. then for every 15 mins you go up in your workout add 100 calories. so for me since i work out for 40 to 60 mins a day i eat 1300 to 1400. whatever you do though dont go below 1200 or most likely you wont lose weight becuase your body thinks its starving itself! I hope this helps a little!
jackiedavis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
14 pounds lost in 3 months is excellent !
I am exactly what your starting weight was can you please tell me how you did it I bet you look amazing! Please help
ChunkyMonkeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #15  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

I think you're doing great! The MOST important thing is just to never give up. It WILL come off, no matter how long it takes.

That said, if you've been doing that much athletically, you maybe gaining a lot of muscle. I highly recommend you start taking measurements. And I agree with the above that you should also count calories. You'd be surprised how far off your guesses could be, and too much of anything is a bad thing - even healthy foods!
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote