Old 05-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #1  

Default Is it normal or common to feel depressed/anxious the more you lose weight?

I have lost 30 lbs so far and am feeling more anxious the more I lose weight. When I was heavier, I think I was living in my own world, and was desensitized to my problems, and always had the weight to use an excuse. Now that I'm losing weight, the "fat suit" is coming off, and with it, I have to face my problems and issues, which is scary to me. It makes me feel anxious and depressed. I notice that some people think losing weight will fix all their problems, but for me, I think losing weight will make my problems more real than they were before, when I no longer have a crutch.

I'm not sure if these feelings are normal or not, or if they are common. Really the more I lose weight, every 5 lbs, every 10 lbs, this anxiety and depression grows stronger.
blancheneige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

I haven't experienced this, but I also haven't lost as much as you have. However, over among the maintainers and those who've achieved their goals, there's been discussion about this. I think there's even a forum about body/self issues after weight loss. I'd recommend checking that out and talking to people over there who have been through what you're going through.

Best of luck.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

It's very normal. (hug) Do you think talking to a therapist would help?
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #4  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

It's not fun to deal with our issues, it's a lot of work and tears. But maybe this is your opportunity to face some of these things and work through them. Think how free and confident you will be when you have overcome!
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

I think it's normal for those of us that use food as a way to deal with emotions.

All of a sudden that "escape" is gone, and so we have to find different ways to deal with our thoughts. Healthy ways.

We realize all those excuses we were making about "oh it's because I'm fat" weren't really the truth.

It's not just a physical journey, it's an emotional one.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #6  

Actually, I'm not an emotional eater. The issues I'm talking about have nothing to do with food or weight, it's childhood issues, psychological, emotional scars. I didn't deal with my problems before I started losing weight, because they were just less real to me before, I just put them in the back of my mind.

Like childhood issues, I got overweight because of being neglected as a child, not being fed properly. Being neglected = low self esteem/low self worth = growing into an adult who also neglects herself. It's harder for me to even think about these things (because it makes me so upset) than it is to lose weight. It was so easy losing 30 lbs in comparison to thinking about these things.
blancheneige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blancheneige View Post
I have lost 30 lbs so far and am feeling more anxious the more I lose weight. When I was heavier, I think I was living in my own world, and was desensitized to my problems, and always had the weight to use an excuse. Now that I'm losing weight, the "fat suit" is coming off, and with it, I have to face my problems and issues, which is scary to me. It makes me feel anxious and depressed. I notice that some people think losing weight will fix all their problems, but for me, I think losing weight will make my problems more real than they were before, when I no longer have a crutch.

I'm not sure if these feelings are normal or not, or if they are common. Really the more I lose weight, every 5 lbs, every 10 lbs, this anxiety and depression grows stronger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blancheneige View Post
Actually, I'm not an emotional eater. The issues I'm talking about have nothing to do with food or weight, it's childhood issues, psychological, emotional scars. I didn't deal with my problems before I started losing weight, because they were just less real to me before, I just put them in the back of my mind.

Like childhood issues, I got overweight because of being neglected as a child, not being fed properly. Being neglected = low self esteem/low self worth = growing into an adult who also neglects herself. It's harder for me to even think about these things (because it makes me so upset) than it is to lose weight. It was so easy losing 30 lbs in comparison to thinking about these things.

You were using your weight as a barrier. The barrier is fading. People who emotionally eat use food as a crutch, as a barrier. Yours is (your own words) your fat suit. They're similar in that what you once had to lean on, you realize is no longer healthy. So you're not only dealing with losing weight, but also the emotions that you were avoiding.

You had a crutch, you're trying to pull yourself off of the crutch and deal with the actual problems. Regardless of whether the eating itself was emotional or not, you weren't taking care of yourself. You were neglecting yourself.

It's much harder for me to deal with the loneliness, shame and boredom than it is to actually lose the weight. Losing the weight is easy in comparison to dealing with the emotional issues (and yes, many lifelong scars) I was avoiding.

Again, for many people it's not just a physical journey, it's an emotional one. It's normal. If the feelings are overwhelming for you flooding back like this, then take the time to seek out a professional and deal with them now.

Last edited by Lovely; 05-22-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

It might not be psychological though, fat stores hormones and when you loose fat those hormones are released into the body which can make you feel all kinds of things, but for most people anxious or depressed.

Last edited by Quillie; 05-22-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Quillie is offline   Reply With Quote