Old 05-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/150/145

Height: 5'8''

Default Doctors won't listen to me. Hypoglycemia. Advice.

Sorry for being a semi-lurker. Have a question.

I’ve been dealing with hypoglycemic symptoms since my mid-teens. It’s something I just learned to deal with. Only recently have I wanted to get this medically stamped.. mainly because I want to see a nutritionist about it.

The doctor tested me for diabetes because he wasn’t listening. My glucose after a 12-hour sleeping fast was normal (80). The only abnormality was a high iron level which apparently has nothing to do with glucose level, but might be a marker of my Celtic heritage. The doctor refused to give me a glucose tolerance test based on these results, despite me explaining my symptoms only occur when I eat lots of sugar (processed is the worse, but natural isn’t much better) on an empty stomach. Which doesn’t seem like something a healthy person would do, but go to a movie theatre—candy, popcorn, soda. I want to be my age and complete the ritual that is movie watching, so I eat some and suffer. Same with pancakes. Pancakes for breakfast is like murder. Or a breakfast of fruit. I feel sick.

Anyway, the doctor explained that hypoglycemics couldn't fast without serious drops in sugar. Me trying to explain that my problem is reactive hypoglycemia was ineffective.

Anyway, my sugar is a bit Looney while I’m awake. (I have a blood sugar kit.) I ate a big breakfast this morning---bagel with sausage, egg and cheese, a fried potato “thing”, orange juice and oatmeal. I’m a heavy breakfaster. Eight hours later (fasting) my glucose level was at 72. 12 hours later it was at 78. Fasting. Right. So I'm assuming my liver kicked in and did its job.

I decided to do a test. I took 75 grams of pure cane sugar (about the content of two cokes) and mixed it in water. I drank the water. I know this isn’t absolute, but it gives me the idea of how my body works and is an effective proof that sugar works against my body, not for it. From my understand, normally people would go very high and slowly drop down to about 100 or so by the third hour. These were the results:

Starting (78)
30 minutes—131
1 1/2 hours—100
2 1/2 hours— 70
3 hours- 66

Right, so, is this normal? Okay? Not good? Symptoms were feeling cold, minor headache, nausea. By the 3rd hour I felt so weak that I had to eat something and I did. (Was planning on the legit four hour test.)

I live in the UK at the moment so I can't afford the test if the doctor won't give it to me.

Last edited by Littlefox; 05-21-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Littlefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 328/322/175

Height: 5'6"

Normally I hate for dummy books - but Hypoglycemia for Dummies is actually a good one. I would go check out as many books on the subject as you can and read up. Tell your nutritionist that you want to base your diet on the glycemic index of food to stabilize blood sugar. You can also look up these foods online too. Eating smaller meals and more frequently will help too.
Sparkly Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #3  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I would try to find the diabetes service near you and get in touch with them. If you can get an appointment with them and explain your situation, they might be more open to listening and could possibly order the test for you if they thought you needed it
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

See an individual who is a "Certified Diabetes Educator" (CDE) and a Registered Dietitian (RD). Blood sugar, insulin and diet issues are their specialty.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote