Old 03-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 258/221/135

Height: 5'4

Default My calories are way too low...

I'm posting this because i need some advice. When i first started losing weight i was losing about a lb a day eating 3 meals a day of what i thought to be healthy (tuna, chicken, salad, oatmeal, fruit etc) but since my weight loss has started to slow down drastically i find myself not being able to lose weight unless i significantly lower my calories...I'm talking maybe 1 slimfast or a half of sandwhich per day.. even then its not guarenteed that i lose anything. I know my metabolism is probably screwed up at this point, and i know this is extremely UNHEALTHY, but i dont know how to fix it without gaining weight back.... i want to be able to eat normally, 3 meals a day and still lose weight like i was before... what do u guys think is the best way to do this without totally un-doing all my progress?.. I've lost almost 40 lbs so far since Jan 1st, but now im pretty much stuck between 221-223 lbs.
StillFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6''

How much are you exercising?

40 lbs since Jan! Holy crap! That's a lot. Your weight loss might just be slowing down. Your body needs to catch up to the MASSIVE weight loss you've had in such a short time.

Last edited by lucyford; 03-13-2011 at 09:32 PM.
lucyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

Were you counting calories from the beginning? Are you counting calories?
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #4  

Lucy - I exercise 3-4 days a week for about 45 mins - 1 hr. Mostly cardio, and some circuit training
Rainbow- I wasnt really counting calories in the beginning & im not now either...i just know that they're really low because im barely eating ANYTHING. I wish i knew how many calories I was consuming in the beginning.. I never felt hungry, and i was losing at least 1 lb a day.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

If it's something you want to do, I would suggest counting - eat what you were eating and count the calories for a week or so - I know, it might cause you a small gain, but it's worth it to figure it out and get it right - I know it could be disheartening to see a gain but you've lost a HUGE amount super quick - a pound a day is almost a crazy amount to lose, and not necessarily that healthy.
I'd seriously suggest going back to what you were eating, figuring out hte calories and even if you aren't losing - it's much healthier for you than barely eating anything.
Then maybe you can work out a good level to be eating at and still lose - however I'd warn that you should expect the loss to slow down - 1-2 pounds per week is a fairly good loss.
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #6  

yea im not expecting to keep losing a lb a day i know thats unrealistic.. i've only lost about 3 lbs so far this month and its halfway over.. i just hope that when i start eating more i dont see a huge gain and it take forever to lose. i would be happy with 2 lbs a week eating normally.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #7  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

StillFierce - Congrats on the loss! A pound a day is not unheard of and the weight often comes off faster in the beginning. I don't want to get too personal, but if you can I would go see a dietetian. They would be able to guide you on what to eat/how much/what's appropriate for safe SUSTAINABLE weight loss. No one can live of one slimfast or half a sandwich a day. Your body will go into starvation mode, and may have already. This happens when you take in too few calories, and it reverts to it's caveman state of retaining any body fat you have by any means necessary.
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I would try for about 1600 calories a day, you are obviously no where near that with one slimfast or a half a sandwich a day. Sure, you will lose weight but you won't be able to keep it up. I don't think you will gain weight on 1600 clories a day if you do you will soon settle into a healthy weight loss.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #9  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I would try for about 1600 calories a day, you are obviously no where near that with one slimfast or a half a sandwich a day. Sure, you will lose weight but you won't be able to keep it up. I don't think you will gain weight on 1600 clories a day if you do you will soon settle into a healthy weight loss.
agreed. First congrats on the huge weight loss! Your body is now slowing down, which is why you aren't losing so quickly. its why they say the last ten pounds are the hardest to loss.

eating more, but healthy is going to be better for you and your weight loss in the long run. i mean you can not eat anything and lose weight quickly but the minute you start eating anything you gain it back. But if you eat healthy throughout the day you weight will come off naturally and it will stay off...
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 181.2/178.2/140

Height: 5'4''

Default Be healthy.

First off congrats on your weight loss. However, the rate at which you are losing weight is unsafe. Most experts recommend losing no more than 1-2 lb per week. If you're heavier, it may come off faster at first. Most sites recommend reducing your caloric intake by 250 calories and burning another 250 calories by exercising. A general formula for calculating intake is to take your current weight and multiply it by 10, then subtract 250 cal from that. Eat no more than 2000 cal per day and no less than 1200 per day. Then burn some additional calories by working out. This should lead to 1-2lb loss per week. The faster it comes off, the faster it'll come back. Slow and steady is a better method or you'll put your body into starvation mode in which it'll hold on to every ounce of fat in an effort to survive. Not to mention not eating enough could lead to neurological and cardiac problems among other issues (I'm a nurse). Good luck.

Last edited by himilayaneyes; 03-14-2011 at 07:48 PM.
himilayaneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #11  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

Try gradually increasing your calories. Jumping right into 1600 could be overwhelming.

Count your calories. Increase them by 10% or so every week until you get there.

Something to try. HTH
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote