Old 03-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'8

Default god it seems so helpless :(

I worked my *** off to lose 7 pounds in one month, but this weekend I binged, and I binged hard. I weighed myself this morning and had a five pound gain. I gained in 3 days what it almost took me a MONTH to lose. I have ZERO willpower apparently..so I dont know why I even try. I'm a vegetarian and I just REALLLY over do it on the carbs and starches. A low carb vegetarian lifestyle just seems totally helpless to me (i'm a vegetarian for morality reasons so it's not like I can just start eating meat suddenly, in fact meat just grosses me out

i'm not even really sure why I'm writing this post. this morning just proved what a loser I really am.
hiswifeylee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/178.8/150

Height: 5'4''

First off, you are NOT a loser. You are trying, and though you made a setback, its not worthless.

First, if you binged on carbs (and processed carbs) most of what you gained will be water weight. CarboHYDRATES cause you to retain more water, so eating lots of them would make you hold on to water. Drink extra water for a few days and weigh again....I bet your scale will be back down. One pound of fat is 3500 calories, and you would have to try really hard to over eat 3500x5 calories (that would be an extra 17500 calories!).

Also, don't look at it as you lost your motivation or your willpower. Motivation comes and goes. Most days I'm not "motivated" to stay on my diet. I'm tired, stressed and other options are easier. But instead, look at it in terms of you making one good choice at a time. And if once in a while, you make a not so good choice (like binging in a weekend) own up to it, and move on. Get back to consciously making good choices.

You really can do this!

Last edited by Razorbackbritt; 03-07-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Razorbackbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'8

thank you for that. the thought that it's just water weight is REALLY encouraging. i'm gonna chug water all day today! and i may not weight myself for awhile...it's just too stressful.
hiswifeylee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/160/130

Height: 5'5"

If your binge was this weekend and extended into yesterday, don't fret that you ACTUALLY gained 5 pounds this weekend. You would've had to eat an extra 17,500 calories above your BMR to have really put on 5 pounds of fat in that period of time!

Some of the weight you are seeing is probably water retention (so drink a bunch of water to flush yourself out today) and some of it might just be like, actual food that you haven't fully digested yet.

My sister has been a vegetarian since she was seven and I was a vegetarian for a while, too. We've both struggled with the carb overload thing just because it is SO MUCH EASIER to grab for the carbs. Neither of us were big bean fans, but we had to learn to love them and eat them like crazy because they are full of protein, super filling, and really just the safest way for a vegetarian to get the most nutrients possible.

Also, if you think the binge was prompted by you and your body rebelling to the huge amount of changes and restrictions you made to your diet all at once, you might try giving yourself a treat once in a while in order to prevent that burnout at the end of the month. If carbs are your big weakness, have a bowl of pasta once a week. Just keep it within your plan, keep it to one portion. If that portion looks super small, mix it with a ton of vegetables and it will trick you into thinking there is more pasta.

For me, sweets are my super big weakness. I'm trying to cut out processed food and sugar from my diet, but when I get a HUGE craving for sugar, I eat a bowl of cereal or have a little bit of chocolate... I know that if I try to tell myself I can do without it totally right now, I'll break down and end up eating the whole box of cereal or something!

But yeah... you are totally NOT a loser. Changing your eating habits is really really hard and there are always going to be temptations. Everybody has a bad day! Everyone indulges now and then!

All you can do is learn from this experience, figure out what triggered this weekend's indulgences, make some changes, and move forward.

One weekend won't ruin anything, it's getting back on track today that's important.
quiddkidd06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #5  

We are not perfect and everyday is a struggle, when we slip up.. we gotta get up and keep on going! Dont give up!
LA85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #6  
Computer Nerd

S/C/G: 191/181/135

Height: 5'6"

I'm having a bad time right now too! its seems a lot of people are. I bet when you get back on track the weight will come back off. just don't weight yourself for a little while. I have been trying to get out of the habit of weighing myself constantly, it can really ruin your day!
ThatMillerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote