Old 01-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #1  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Default I can feel a binge coming on...

Found out about my grades from last term. Basically, the stress about whether or not I'll get into law school is really starting to hit... Just ate 320 calories in a cookie + not-particularly-healthy dry cereal. I need to stop this before it starts.
How do you deal with stressful moments without reaching for cookies & cake & fried chicken?
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

I take a good run. If I'm really down, I'll push myself harder and run faster and farther! I know it's not easier said that done, or I hang out with a friend, or I used to go to clothing stores that sold pretty dresses that I wanted to be able to fit into. That always helped. But these day, I run, and clear my head. I feel great afterwards! I hope you get into law school! Good luck! p.s. you're only 10 lbs away from goal! you are so close!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Take some time to relax for yourself- take a hot bath, read a book you have been wanting to (the semester is over right?)? Just anything that is a special treat for you that is NOT food

I'm sorry I know how stressful things like that can be- but don't let food beat you!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #4  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Do something else, that keeps your hands busy! I like sewing but it doesnt really matter, as long as its not eating
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'2.5"

Do something else that you enjoy! Keep your hands busy. Write down in a journal, read a book, color, call up a family member or friend and chat. Or go to the gym and get a good work out. Or go for a long walk.

Binges are hard to resist, but you'll feel so much better if you don't give in. Remember that you're not eating because you're hungry, a binge is eating to soothe your emotions. Eating the food only makes you feel better for a few minutes, and then your mood just plummets again because you realize what you've just done to yourself. You'll feel SO much better just by going for a walk instead.
surrendertolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 203/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I honestly never was able to just do something else to de-stress. While I was doing the other thing, I was just stressed out that I was not taking care of my problem.

I suggest you make a plan. Okay, you didn't get the best grades ever. However, there are so so so many law schools out there. Maybe you won't go to Harvard Law or Stanford, but there are other great options out there. Research some schools you KNOW you can get into and find out what makes them special. Being prepared makes me feel less stressed.
girlinwaterglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #7  
Exercise the Mind

S/C/G: 196/175.7/148

Height: 5'8.5"

I recommend, when a binge is coming on, getting away from the kitchen. Whether that's walking out of the house, or just going to your bedroom and closing the door and designating an amount of time until you come back (two hours, at least)--just stay away from the physical presence of food, recognizing that while a binge has you in its grip, you are not rational and cannot be trusted.

My usual M.O. is: Get on the computer. Distract yourself with something that *actively* engages your mind: writing in a journal, sporcle quizzes, using a photo editing program to mess with old pictures, organizing your itunes library, writing an email to someone you've been meaning to for a while. Make a phone call, catch up with someone (I often grab my phone and take a "walk and talk"). But keep yourself out of the kitchen until it passes and you'll feel like a million bucks.
rschroed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214.3/200.4/150

Height: 5'9

Ugh, I know the feeling. I've been snacking on brownies all day (little piece here, little piece there...) I just bought a pair of new jeans too, went from a 16 to a 14! They're still a little snug, but losing a few pounds will easily fix that. I am super excited, but stress gets the best of me.

Going to the gym tonight with my brother. He's going to whoop my butt so hopefully it'll put me in gear for the week.
gnat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/*see ticker*/130

Height: 5'4"

i believe all those things have been mentioned already, but i'd say

a) go work out
b) take a bath
c) go to bed! i don't care if it's still 7pm or whatnot, if it'll make you stop eating, do it! plus you'll feel refreshed in the morning from getting a lot of sleep.

hang in there though, i only succeed with those tactics about 50% of the time...
KawaiiCandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #10  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Big hug lackadaisy...that's really stressful.

But what's even more stressful is adding binge guilt on top of existing stress. Think about how you'll feel afterward...you know how it goes, as all binges end in the same result.

Go brush your teeth.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

Height: 5'4"

All of these are credited.. but, also if you have any questions about law school or the admissions process (including getting off a waitlist), I can help (is there a PM feature on here?). I go to Vanderbilt law and I have worked with the admissions people, plus I did a ton of research when applying.
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #12  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Thanks to everyone for the advice I'm actually doing a lot better on the food front now -- successfully avoided any binging (woo!) -- but the stress continues & is compounded by my completely-falling-apart thesis. So I plan to be a great big ball of angst for the next month.

On the plus side: I think anxiety, when it doesn't lead me to eat more, is actually boosting my metabolism. But, you know, every silver lining comes with a cloud.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 229/185/155

Don't beat yourself up! Do your best and feel good about how brave it is to do that!

You WILL get in...but...if it cheers you up any, check out this article from the New York Times. Made me feel a lot better about blowing it on the LSAT. Apparently the whole system is a hot mess.

nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html
bleujean is offline   Reply With Quote