Old 01-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214.3/200.4/150

Height: 5'9

Default Counting Calories or Carbs?

I've just started dieting/exercising about 2 weeks ago and have been counting Calories for the past week. I've been sticking to 300-400 calories per meal and try to have 3 meals plus 1 or 2 small snacks (between 100-200 calories) per day. 1/2 gallon of water is a must.

I've noticed (and so have my parents & fiancée) that I've been starting to go through some emotional changes from my dieting/exercising. While I've been seeing results (I've lost 6lbs in 2 weeks) I've turned into quite the emotional ***** and I'm also constantly tired.

Should I be focusing on counting carbs instead of calories to help bring my energy levels up? I know my mind and body have to get used to the changes of dieting & exercising, so hopefully the *****iness will resolve itself over time.

Any advice would be great.
-Nat
gnat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Sounds like your calories are just a bit low. With 3 x 300 cal meals you're getting 900, plus a snack is 1000. So you're getting around 1000 min to 1400 max. Its not surprising that you are constantly tired! If I were you I would try upping your calories but thats just me
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I agree! That's not a lot of calories and no matter what the carb/protein ratio is you're lkely to be cranky and tired!

While I do pay attention to calorie counts, I also really watch my carbs. It's a personal thing. A lot of people can eat carbs. Others (I have PCOS) can't lose an ounce unless there is some carb reduction.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #4  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

S/C/G: 245/173.6/164

Height: 5'8"

I agree with everyone else. I would say eat a little more but for myself I totally watch my carbs.
Blcarter84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: highest 191/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I would definitely suggest increasing your calorie intake. Since you're just starting out, I would suggest probably around 1700 per day. As you lose weight you will naturally require lower calories so if you start high, you'll be able to decrease as you go and still be taking in an adequate amount of calories. With starting so low there is no wiggle room.

I personally try to keep my percentage of carbs, fat and protein equal (33% of each.) Thats what works for me. The first couple months of this will be a time where you learn what works best for your body. Soyou may have to adjust things here and there.

Good luck!
jenn33082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HWK256/SW247/239/150

Height: 5'5"

I've calorie counted in the past with good results, but I never ate less than 1200, as I've read in a few places that I shouldn't and ate up to 1600-1800 depending how hard of a workout I did that day, on days that I did light workouts I would eat at the lower end of the 1200-1800 range. It worked, but the minute I stopped up went the weight. I think everyone is right though, its hard not to feel bad and be cranky when your body could be deprived. Hope you start to feel better!
dancinginpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 202|200|150

Height: 5'4"

I've done the counting carb diets, & it worked once for me & that was it. I lost 30lbs in 2005, then went off atkins & gained 30lbs + 30 more in the coming years. I've tried to go back to that to drop 10lbs really quickly, but it just doesn't work. The best thing I've found (for my body, at least) is counting calories. I've kept off 40lbs doing it that way in a year & a 1/2 - no gimmicks, no getting-skinny-quick BS, just hard work.

And like PPs have said, eat more calories, girl!! No wonder you're cranky! Even upping your calories can cause you to lose more weight because your body isn't going into starvation mode.
MaddieBPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/159/120

Height: 5"6 (168cm)

It's definitely good for starters!

I started calorie counting on august 2010 and managed to lose 70lb since then. I m still calorie counting. Though my method is a bit extreme. I try to avoid carbs and I do a lot of hill climbing with my puppy. I also eat around 1000-1200 calories max.

My mood has been okay, I had my lowest points when I was plateauing for about 2 weeks. I do get tired very fast, I go to bed really realllllyy early like at 8-9pm. I also wake up fairly early though =)

I m almost to my goal and right now I just want to maintain this weight and gradually lose the last 10 pound in the next 2 months.

Calorie counting definitely worked for me and I hope it'll do for you too.

One thing though, which I m sure that it's not just calorie counting, probably happened to all people losing weight. My hair is falling off MAD and I was very worried in the beginning (now I kinda just bleh..what can I do about it..).

So..anticipate that..
Ivonnely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/172/135

The same thing happend to me I would just feel drained I wanted to quit everything. But I started trying to get more by adding a few extra calories here and there and I feel much better. Keep up the good work!
Tiffany lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 156/155/140

Height: 5'5"

Ivon.... Your hair falling out maybe be due to malnutrition. Eating 1000 calories a day max is likely throwing your body into starvation mode where it becomes difficult to sustain necessary functions. Have you talked to an RD about this?
Pinkberrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

The emotional issues could be sugar/food addiction and withdrawl. This is the most probable explanation as food addictions are rarely diagnosed but the symptoms of withdrawl are closely on par with other addictions.
The Last Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #12  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivonnely View Post

One thing though, which I m sure that it's not just calorie counting, probably happened to all people losing weight. My hair is falling off MAD and I was very worried in the beginning (now I kinda just bleh..what can I do about it..).

So..anticipate that..
If your hair is falling out thats a sign that something is wrong and you should really see someone about that. it shouldnt be happening and isnt something people wanting to lose weight should anticipate
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #13  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

It sounds like you're still adjusting to a big change (withdrawal from sugar perhaps) and may be too early to really determine causes. How do you break it down? I don't count carbs but I try to make sure most of my calories come from plant matter or eggs/fish. Starchy carbs and dessert carbs just lead to cravings.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 225.4 / 202.4 / 150

Height: 5 ft. 2 in.

It's more than just calories and carbs!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that a dieter (or anyone, really) also needs to make sure they're getting the proper amounts of necessary vitamins and minerals! Deficiencies in these areas can cause fatigue, hair loss, emotional issues, etc. You should definitely examine your diet to see what you're lacking, and perhaps seek out the advice of a health care provider to making your plan more well-rounded and getting some supplements.

I'm on a low calorie, high protein, low fat, and low carb diet as well, but I haven't experienced any of these issues... yet. Hopefully I can avoid them. Good luck.
k225to150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/145

Height: 5' 5.5"

I agree, Ivonley, you SHOULD be worried about hair loss. This is commonly seen in anorexia (I am not saying you have this by any means). This is your body telling you that you are not getting adequate nutrition! I hope you will see a medical professional about it, because it could affect your future fertility, your dental health, your muscles (including your heart) and other major organ systems! It is definitely not something to take lighlty!!

Nat- It is never healthy to eat less than 1200 cals a day. I would suggest you eat a good balance from each food group, and try to up your calories intake. I would suggest 300 cals for breakfast, 300 for lunch,. and 400 for supper, and 2 100 calorie snacks mid morning and mid afternoon. 5 smaller meals a day can boost your metabolism, as your body is always expecting more calories coming in. It has worked well for me!
jaimie1980 is offline   Reply With Quote