Old 12-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Cake balls!!!!! AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!

So I'm baking for a ton of people, and it's all gotta be done tomorrow. Started the cookies yesterday and did those GREAT. Then I started cake balls. The recipes look easy enough, so I figured I'd tackle them. Made the cake, crumbled it, added frosting, mixed it, rolled it into balls. All good. Stuck 'em in the fridge a few hours then set about rolling them in almond bark to make the coating.

No go. In fact, not possible.

Ended up throwing a ton of melted bark in the trash, with the pan it was in. Frustrated. My husband, who cannot cook, decided HE was Martha Stewart and would "show" me how to do it. Ha ha ha. No go.

The problem with this is that when I get frustrated, I go to snacking. I'm trying to stop myself, but it's HARD when there's a spoon FULL of white chocolate and dozens of balls of cake and icing literally at my fingertips or in my hand. May need an extra run today.

Put it all up last night and went to the store early today to get chocolate and try again. Finally getting it down, and I'm nearly done. Had a minor snafu when I added butter to baking chocolate. Know what happens? It solidifies. Letting everything dry from washing then finishing them all. NO MORE TASTING. NO MORE TASTING! I will NOT taste any more!

Oh, and after this it's on to caramel-filled chocolate cookies. I'm so sick of sugar I could DIE.

That is all...had to rant and get it out. Or heave a pan of chocolate through the kitchen window and set the kitchen on fire. Figured a rant was better....
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #2  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

I have made those before and they are a pain in the BUTT. Try adding some vegetable oil to the chocolate to thin it out. That helps with covering the cake balls.
I bake all the time, just set your mind to it lady, it's all got a destination. Just think, if you eat one someone at work might not get one. Oh and if that doesn't work, make the hubby eat them
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 203/157/120

Height: 5' 2"

just a suggestion...i have never made those, but i read you put then in the freezer, not the fridge. maybe that would have made the difference? if it was the chocolate i'd try microwaving in 7 second increments until it is soft, but not burned.
jess jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

Funny, I was just talking to my Dad (the chef) about these. My parents are making a bunch for a holiday party and neighbors. My mom is trying to get him to make a business out of it because she has a friend in another state who started a business making cake balls and is doing really well. lol

I know what you mean about the snacking. I am really bad about snacking while cooking. I hope you are done with all your baking soon so you don't have to be tempted much longer!
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #5  
Always Wishing!

S/C/G: 153/153/118

Height: 5 foot 6

I've learned the brand of chocolate you buy to melt makes a huge difference!! When I used Almond Bark I had NOOO luck, the Candy Quik seemed to work the best, also make sure your microwave is set to a lower power or it will automatically over cook your chocolate. It's hit or miss for us all though, that's for sure!!!
mybigwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I ended up having luck with the almond bark I had left, though I only got about a dozen of the cake balls done with it. All I had to fall back on, since the majority of my almond bark was killed the night before by mistakes, was white and semi-sweet baking chocolate. It's all hardened up ok...They look good. I will probably never make them again, but they'll be a hit this time around.

The caramel-filled chocolate cookies look gooooooood too. Finally had to get out of here and hit the track for a bit. Felt good to move a little bit and get away from the stove...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #7  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I don't bake...but you can always throw the balls at the hubby (every time you think just eat one)..because if they hit the floor who really wants to eat them...
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote