Old 12-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #1  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

Default What Do You Track Besides Weight?

Okay, so I'm struggling a little bit right now because the numbers on the scale are higher than I'd like them to be, and because I'm having trouble getting them to go down as easily as I did the first time I lost weight. Unfortunately, I feel like I keep getting stuck in the "Well, if I can't lose weight, I might as well eat this entire bag of Doritos!" mentality.

I'm thinking I need to take a break from weighing myself and tracking the numbers on the scale so obsessively. But if I don't use the scale as a tool, how do I track my progress?

Does anyone else out there track weight loss/health & fitness on metrics other than weight? Is it working for you?
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #2  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

If you need to take a break from weighing (or maybe increase the time between weigh ins) and think it'll help you, do that. But if you're having trouble not eating a whole bag of doritos already, I'd be careful.

One thing that helps is measuring yourself. You can do the basics (bust, waist, hips), or more. It's up to you. That can change even if the scale number doesn't. It's great for tracking progress (because isn't the goal to get smaller, anyway?). A measuring tape can be easily purchased.

Also, for me, I still have to work on the, "If I don't see a loss soon, I give up!" mentality. It's not helpful to me. If I stay on plan with food and exercise, the weight WILL COME OFF, even if it's not as fast as I'd like. Remember, it'll work; it just might take a little longer than you'd like.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #3  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Seconding tracking your bust, waist, and hip measurements. Some people do arms and thighs too. Also make sure you take note of how your clothes are fitting-- it's a pretty good sign that you've lost weight and/or inches when your clothes are fitting looser or you need to move down a dress size.

If you do need to use the scale, use it less. Instead of every day, try every week, or every two weeks instead of every week. If you're sticking to your plan, you'll know you're doing well, without seeing the number on the scale.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

You could also track food log related or workout related stuff.

Gains in skills in those areas are usually positives.

I like PALA too.

http://www.presidentschallenge.org/

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:35 AM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 213/198/130

Height: 5'5

I can't track anything else besides weight or else I'd start to get obsessive, although I am very tempted to do measurements. When I was working at a retail store with an alterations department, I was very tempted to take one of their measuring tapes home.

I think it would be cool to track how many miles you bike, walk, run, etc.
HartLover23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #6  
Mary

S/C/G: 225/190/125

Height: 5'2" Age: 22

I also track my measurements every few weeks, and aside from counting my calories I watch my sodium intake and my fiber intake.

And I'm with Hartlover23, I've tracked miles walked/exercise hours in the past and it was really cool to see how much I'd accomplished
platformnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #7  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

Thanks for all the suggestions! Realistically, I'm never going to get away from weighing myself entirely, but I definitely want to be less reliant on it. I'm thinking it's going to go live in the attic for a bit!

Ooh - and thanks astrophe for the PALA suggestion. I remember doing the Presidential Fitness Test in 5th grade and failing most of them, so earning one of those medals as an adult could be a really good motivator!
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote