Old 11-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

Default issues with clothes that fit?

By that I don't mean finding clothes that fit, or not having clothes that fit, although I know all too well how that goes with weight loss!

Nah, what I mean is, does anybody else have problems with wearing clothes that fit? I went shopping a week or two ago looking for a shirt to wear for Thanksgiving. I tried on several (8/10s!) that fit, technically speaking, but in my head they were too small because they hugged my body. Maybe (probably) it's from years of wearing too big clothes that hung on me in an attempt to hide the fat, but now anything that's even the slightest bit snug, even if it actually fits as it should, registers in my head as being too small. I'm not sure this is coming off as I wanted it to but I hope I'm at least getting my point across. I do like to wear clothes now that show off my figure a bit more and I've stopped wearing baggy men's t-shirts all the time, but for some reason unless my clothes are at least a little too big, I deem them too small and it goes back in the closet/on the rack.

I ended up giving up on buying a shirt and wore one that I loved to wear 30+lbs ago, because it's not big enough to just hang on me (in my head anyway), but still big enough to not show off any part of my body I don't like. Nevermind that it's at least a size or two too big and surely isn't as flattering as I like to think it is.

I know this isn't only a 20-somethings problem, but I'm sure a lot of you 20-somethings probably shop in the same sorts of stores and try on the same sorts of clothes that I do, so you're likely to know what I'm talking about here. Seems like so many styles are just meant to fit the body a certain way and that just makes this "fit" issue worse for me. I'd love those clothes...if I thought I had the body to pull them off!
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #2  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

I have adopted a new rule. I will no longer wear clothes that do not fit my body.

I too had the same issue as you. EVERY fashion show (What NOT to Wear, Oprah's fashion shows etc) all say that you should NEVER wear clothes that don't fit your body. Have a lil pooch? So what.

WHen you wear clothes that are too big for you, you are adding pounds to your frame.

I no longer wear clothes (willingly, I mean I'm not going to buy an entire new wardrobe every 10lbs) that do not hug my body. I may have a gut, my thighs may be thick, but I'll be darned if that sweater I wore 34lbs ago is gonna add those 34lbs back on me!
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm not in my twenties but I have enlisted some supportive coworkers to help me ditch clothes that are too big. I also take full body pictures in clothes I worry about wearing and look at myself - this helps me get desensitized about worrying that I look a certain way.

Clothes that are more form-fitting can attract wanted and unwanted attention from other people, and I think that can be very scary.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 241/188.8/120

Height: 5' 2"

I know I question what's too tight and what's not now. There weren't so many options before (when I was plus-sized) and that makes shopping more overwhelming for me now. The people in my life DEFINITELY seem to notice when I wear clothes that fit properly and that's often when they make comments about how much I have lost. I think that spurs me on to continue shopping for form-fitting clothes.
audri8301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #5  

Height: 5'10

I have issues with this also. I still feel the need to 'hide' things 50 pounds later. I have a lower belly 'pooch' and I don't like to see it! I try to ignore it but I always end up fidgeting with my shirts.
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #6  
Getting healthy!

Height: 5'7"

I have the same issue, but more for a different reason, I think. I was always very tiny growing up and it wasn't until the last 4 years that I gained all of my weight. However, as I was growing up I always wore baggy clothes, because to me they were far more comfortable than anything tight fitting. Now that I'm older I don't mind wearing fitting clothing (...To me, everyone else tells me they're still baggy). But, it's hard for me to to wear anything normally accepted as "fitted". I know that it has to do with my low self esteem issues. I can only hope that once I lose the amount of weight that I want to lose, I'll get a better handle on it.
Paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #7  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I have a similar problem. I have a hard time letting myself "look nice". I haven't been obese until recently so it's hard to convince myself that I CAN look nice even while I'm still losing. I basically never wear make-up and I just wear plain t-shirts and jeans. I just can't seem to bring myself to dress-up anymore.

But I agree about the bigger clothes adding weight. After dropping a size in pants I saw a HUGE difference in how big I looked with clothes on. I don't think I've very good fitting the clothes to my body time, though, so I have a feeling someone with more know how could make me look a lot better than I am able to pull off on my own.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 177/137/122

Height: 5ft 4in

Even at my biggest I wore fitted things. I feel like if it's too loose it makes me look bigger. Especially jeans! I understand where you guys are coming from though, I hardly ever wear sleeveless shirts thanks to my arm fat and there are certain cuts that I will never wear, even if people tell me it looks good on me. All I can say is bite the bullet and put on something fitted. Even if you just wear it around the house eventually you will feel more comfortable and confident enough to wear it out in public.
Paloma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #9  
~ Jillian Junkie ~

S/C/G: 220/175ish/165

Height: 5'10

Yes - I guess I'm very uncomfortable in my own skin. I look in the mirror and am always very unsure if the shirt I'm wearing really looks good because I'm so used to shopping for clothes that hide fat rather than shopping for ones that really look good.

I've taken to either shopping with friends or taking cell phone pics and sending them to friends before I buy things because I truly cannot tell for myself if something looks good or not. It's awful...
singforthedayx is offline   Reply With Quote