Old 11-04-2010, 01:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/149/135

Height: 5'5

Default Losing weight without going crazy.

I'm finally back on track to losing more weight (slowly but surely). I guess my question is how to feel less self conscious even though I'm not very comfortable or satisfied with my body. Plus, I've become very obsessive. I literally think about losing weight every waking hour. I have a job that is very easy and lots of free time, but I live in the middle of nowhere. I want to stop feeling like I have to think about this constantly, but still keep my healthy habits in tact. I need to lose more weight for my physical health, but I've been emotionally putting my life on hold until I get to a weight I'm happy with. This kind of behavior is clearly not emotionally healthy. Anyone go through what I'm going through? Suggestions?
elleohelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

I can empathize (sympathize? I confuse those two) with you on some of those things - I definitely know that I think about losing weight way more than I should. It's almost what my life has become. I do other things, sure, hang out with friends, my boyfriend, go out and do things - but losing weight and what I'm eating has become something that is always on my brain almost regardless of what else I'm doing. I almost feel more self-conscious now than I did in July when I got back on the track to losing weight - I'm more aware of my body and more worried about what other people think. I constantly look at myself in mirrors to see if I can see any changes and I weigh probably once a day just to check that I've actually lost weight.
I guess I don't have any tips of what to do to not let it take over you're life. I'm kind of hoping that once I get to where I want to be, I'll be satisfied and keep up the healthy habits and calorie counting WITHOUT stressing over losing the next kilogram/pound. But I'm not sure. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone! I'm sure others will have more insight.
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:20 AM   #3  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Nothing of value to offer, but I know how you feel as we have talked this topic in circles practically daily for weeks!

You know what you have to do to lose weight. Do you have fixed times in your schedule for exercise, meals etc? I've found I can do other things and not worry constantly about weight loss if I keep a routine and don't have to think about it.

As for putting your life on hold, I understand the feeling. What we're doing now is almost like an alternative reality that doesn't count. I view my life as beginning in July-August when I finish my contract here. Could you maybe set moving back to the States as a sort of deadline to take life off of being on hold?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 235/149/135

Rainbow- thanks for reminding me i'm not alone in my behavior. you are so pretty by the way!

I think what's difficult for me is I'm a naturally kinda shy person. My loneliness and overeating were sort of a deadly cycle in the past. While I'm finally breaking free to some degree, I still have trouble putting myself out there because I'm terrified of being ridiculed.

Last edited by elleohelle; 11-04-2010 at 01:30 AM.
elleohelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:34 AM   #5  
You'll be given love...

S/C/G: 328/283/140.00

Hooboy, do I know how this feels. I find myself eating so much unhealthy candy alongside the good stuff I eat (and I'm normally not a big candy person and damn the halloween candy from roomates) just because I am stressing constantly about food, planning meals, what to eat, why I didnt work out/finish the work out/didnt work out more. And of course underneath it all the general butthurt from not being born a Mesomorph or Ectomorph who would have never had to fight this hard to begin with.

So I'm interested in advice given in this thread as well! As a fellow person going bonkers? I feel like obsessing about this is also hindering my progress. But they keep saying 16 pounds since late August isn't bad...
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

elleohelle Thanks for the compliment! I'm also really shy. Cripplingly so at times. My boyfriend joked that he couldn't not move in with me next year because he didn't want to leave me to fend for myself with my social anxiety - he was joking, but little does he know...he's absolutely right.
I only do things when he is doing things, or if I REALLY talk myself into going out and doing something. The rest of the time I'd kind of rather stay in and do nothing, which equates to a lot of time to think about losing weight. My job is also very easy, just retail, and sole charge, so I have a lot of time there to myself to be thinking about it. And I only work 3.5 days per week - so while I'm meant to be using the other time to work on painting in my studio, recently it's gotten to the point where I think about doing it, and then don't. I almost spend most of my days off thinking about what I should be eating, what I'm going to eat, putting off exercise, finally doing exercise...you get the gist. I think I'm an over-thinker, and really really good at analysing things far more than they need to be.

Oh man I'm sorry. I realise I am not helping you in your quest whatsoever, but I hope someone has some answers...I've been trying to work on this myself...but not hard enough, and I just go into denial that I'm obsessed.
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/147/135

Height: 5'2''

Yeah, this is something that after about 5 months of dieting I'm starting to pick up on. I do think about losing weight all the time- definitely an obsession. And even though I know I look much better I find that I'm more self conscious than I used to be. Weird! I don't have any advice on how to overcome this as I've just started noticing it myself, but it is a strange side effect that I never saw coming.
Jeni is offline   Reply With Quote