Old 10-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 216/210/140

Height: 5'4"

I am losing weight for both health and vanity reasons. More than anything, though, it's for my health. High blood pressure, heart failure, strokes, and diabetes have all occurred within my immediate/close family. My older sister died in 2001, when she was 23, of heart failure and my mother's brother died in his early 30's of a heart attack (neither one of them were anywhere near overweight). Plus, my grandfather died of diabetes, my grandmother has high blood pressure, my father has high blood pressure, high cholesterol and has had two heart attacks and a massive stroke that has left him disabled, and my mother has high blood pressure and sleep apnea. All of these are chronic/deadly conditions, and, the fact is, I will end up like the rest of my family if I don't lose the weight. I've spent so much energy in the past on being so afraid of losing more of my family before their times to these diseases that it wasn't until recently that I realized that I should also be afraid for myself!

I guess the main motivating factor as far as health is concerned is my father. The funny thing about that is that we don't even get along and I've never, ever wanted to take his advice about anything, including weight loss because he never practiced what he preached and is the reason I ever became overweight in the first place, but I look at him now - unable to move his right side, always either in bed or in his wheel chair, having to be cleaned and changed, and taking nearly 20 pills a day - and know that I just can't end up like that.

As for vanity, I just can't stand the way I've been looking in my clothes recently. I've been overweight since I was a child, but when I was 170-180 lbs, I liked the way I looked: no rolls, mostly flat tummy, and I was confident in my clothes. Now that I've gained about 40 lbs, I have the back fat and rolls and it absolutely disgusts me! I also used to have a very distinguishable waist and now, because of the rolls, it isn't as visible. I considered wearing SPANX to smooth all of it out, but I came to the conclusion that I don't want to try to look great in this body because I don't want to become content with it; like "oh, I'll just wear these from now on and I'll look great!". I want to look great and feel comfortable in my body and clothes without help. Another factor in the vanity aspect of my desire to lose weight is the fact that I don't get near as many looks from guys as I used to. All of the attention I used to get used to make me somewhat uncomfortable, but it was nice to know that people thought I looked great, nonetheless . I still get some attention, but nowhere near as much as I used to, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I want that back!

Last edited by Northern Belle; 10-26-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Northern Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #32  
pleasantly plump from '82

S/C/G: 208/ticker/155

Height: 5'9

I'm losing weight to extend my life. I have a family history of heart disease, bowel cancer and stroke and I want to live.
sal27253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #33  
Never Give Up

S/C/G: 183/162/130

Height: 5'8"

I love the way I feel when I am thin. Yeah so I let things slip while pregnant two out of the three times, but hey, I've always gone back to my healthy weight. I love feeling confident and sexy. I NEVER want to feel the way I did growing up. All the mean things people/kids would say to me definitely scared for life, but it's like a pie in the face to them now and it just tickles me pink! ;o)

So, I'm doing it for me. Because I deserve the best.
ToriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #34  

Height: 5'4''

Because I don't want to die and I want to live, really live. My extended family has a lot of heavier people with health ailments - mostly avoidable.

Because I was tired of being heavier than my boyfriend. It is a sense of shame for me. Also he has gained weight recently, not too much but it's all in the worsst place (stomach) and I wanted to be an example for him before 20 pounds became 50.

Because I was tired of being known as the girl who eats everything put in front of her.

Because I needed to face the numbers. I gained 30 pounds without really noticing, I reached a point where I could no longer lie to myself that I was just overweight, I am obese.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 268/259/155

Height: 5'3.5"

I am losing weight because I am tired of packing this extra person around with me !I am tired of my joints hurting and my clothes not fitting properly . Life is starting to pass me by and I want to get out and enjoy the next half on my feet in shoes that don't look like boxes and moving gracefully ! ( Not that I have ever been graceful but maybe THIS time I can surprize everybody ! LOL )
I think I posted in the wrong group but I love the question ! thanks for asking it !

Last edited by grammajiggles; 10-26-2010 at 12:16 PM.
grammajiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'11

I am losing weight because I know that underneath all my weight is a confident happy person. I see flashes of her sometimes in the mirror if I turn the right angle. I also blame all of my problems on my weight...I am afraid to meet people because of it. I think my weight has been a huge factor in my social anxiety that I've developed the past couple years. Hopefully when the weight goes, so will the fear.
stephandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #37  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

I am losing weight for two reasons:

1. The weight is a mask. People see it first, and then i feel like they see me. I would love to not have to worry about whether or not people are going to just see me as the "big girl". Would love for them to see me for me, my talents and what I can offer.
2. At the age of 18 i was diagnosed with diabetes. I am now 29. It's time to get rid of the last of the extra weight, because that will help me manage my disease, and not be so hard on my body. I do not want to die young, I love life!
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 165/144.8/135

Height: 5'2

I gained 30 lbs in college and NOW is the time to get it gone for good! I have 18lbs left to go until goal...I'm 25, my goal is to have it off by 26.
LindsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 244.6/237/155

Height: 5'5"

All such good reasons, Including the 'vain' ones haha. I mean who doesnt want to be "hot".

When I first started I just wanted to be a good role model for my daughter, and make sure that i can alway keep up with, and do things with her. Without feeling self concsious.

But now I just really want to look Smokin on my wedding day
MellyWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 192/150.5/135

Height: 5 feet, 4 inches

I am losing weight to keep myself from developing diabetes, feel better about myself, be able to wear most of my clothes and actually feel 28 instead of 50.
Randi34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #41  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Nebuchadnezzar raised an interesting point.

I too have experienced being treated as not female because of my weight. One example is that my male relatives would gently hug my smaller sisters and female cousins (even my more tomboy girl cousin), and give me a hearty hug or a slap on the back. Not quite like a boy, but dang close. I kind of hated it. That happens much less now, which is nice.

As for why I want to lose weight... Definitely health. My doctor warned me at 180 lbs that I was in danger of developing diseases and such. Never got there, thank goodness - my blood pressure went up a bit (into the "normal" range; mine has always been healthy and lower), and my cholesterol was way too high (going to get that checked again soon).

I also want to look better and fit any clothing I like. But also I didn't feel comfortable, especially physically, at 207 lbs. I had back rolls that touched (VERY uncomfy when I sweated), my belly was starting to fold over itself, my arms were big enough to trap heat in my pits (ew), my thighs rubbed way too much (even got a rash once in salt water), my double chin had begun to touch my chest when I propped my head up in bed, etc.

I HATED how all that felt. And I couldn't just take it off and be free. It was stuck on me, and it felt gross and uncomfortable and I wanted it off. I love not having any of that now.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #42  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

because I dont like what I see when I look in the mirror I want to wear clothing that looks great
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #43  
Now Loading Healthy ME

S/C/G: 265/262/187

Height: 5'7"

Like one poster said...because I'm fat! lol

But seriously, there are so many things that can happen that are out my control, but my weight is. If I can take this weight off and reduce my risk of heart failure, stroke, diabetes, breast cancer (the list goes on) then I'll be happy. Also God gave me this one body and how dare I treat it this way be being unhealthy?

Oh yea, I want to be sexy! I want to go to Miami and actually get in the ocean and take my cover-up off! I want to wear a mini-skirt and high heels! I feel like my heels would hurt a lot less if I didn't have so much dang weight pushing down on them (am I the only one who feels this way?)

Oh and I want to be able to get intimate with somebody and not have to worry about which way my rolls are moving...it's hard to enjoy myself if I'm always trying to suck it in (lol)
Fit4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #44  
wow so cool

S/C/G: 222/170/140

Height: 5'4

I am *so* over being the fat kid. I want to be healthy! Happy! I want to have ENERGY and be able to USE it without becoming out of breath in the first minute. I want to run around half naked and not have to worry about my weight, and how others must see me.

I want to be able to wear the clothes that I like, and not have to hide in a hoodie and baggy jeans.

And holy crap, I want to find a fit, sexy man, and have him actually be attracted to me, too.

Last edited by doppio; 10-26-2010 at 07:30 PM.
doppio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

To feel better about myself. To have confidence in my life. To be happy.
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote