Old 10-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #1  
Army Medic

S/C/G: 210/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Default School all day, Work all night...how do you fit life in?

I'm having some issues right now with time.

I often have classes all day, and days I don't I'm most likely working. Even on days that I have class all day I still may work in the evening. Next week I have a day that I'll be getting up at 6 to get on campus for school, and then I'll be working at the hospital until 2 the next morning. Even when the schedules not like that (thank goodness it's not very often) I'm up with homework late. I can usually fit in and hour to an hour and a half work out in three days a week (I have a two hour break between classes over lunch) and I try to take time the other days of the week for at least half and hour of working out in, but it's the food that gets me...

Whether its up late with homework or working till 11 or later at night, I'm ALWAYS starving right around midnight. I try not to binge, and I try to drink water or lo cal drinks and a lo cal snack if I have to, but it feels like I'm sabotaging myself eating that late at night. And on some nights, I binge. I hate it, I know I'm doing it, and I just can't seem to control it. I usually have a binging episode like this once a month.

I was wondering who else in this situation deals with the lack of time? What about the late night binges?
stucky1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #2  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

This might not be what you want to hear, but I just account for it.

If I know I'm going to be up late doing school work, or whatever, I just eat less during the day and leave myself calories for late at night.

Gum also helps.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #3  
Now Loading Healthy ME

S/C/G: 265/262/187

Height: 5'7"

Hey we're in the same boat and I find it's best to plan ahead. I like to have some fruit ot vegetable sticks ahead of time and Stellarosa is right, if you know you're going to be out late, try to keep your day calories lower. HTH!
Fit4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #4  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I'm also a working full time, full time student. I also always eat very late at night. I think it's less of a "late night binge" mentality for me, and more of an issue of a BUSY lifestyle - and being seriously hungry by the time I get home from everything (if I eat dinner around 6ish, I'm so hungry by midnight there's no way I'm sleeping with any empty belly - I'd just wake up an hour later starving). So... I try and stick with soups for my "second dinner" something healthy, low cal, and very filling.

I don't care what anyone else says - being in school and working - is really, really hard most nights. Especially when you try to factor in relationships with family, friends and/or significant others (which you absolutely SHOULD do - social circles are sooo important to hang on to) - as well as gym and dieting time for yourself. It is absolutely exhausting - so be sure to take some time when you can find it to breathe deep and re-focus.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'11

I am the SAME way. Mainly because before I started my diet I wouldn't eat at all between work/school and then I would be ravenous when I come home. Now I plan it out better so I'm eating about every 3 hours so when I get home I'm not so tempted, plus it's better for my metabolism. I can't wait to be done with school and have only one major responsibility during the day.
stephandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #6  
Army Medic

Have you looked into pay and job availability? Here in PA ems t doesn't pay much at all, and it's fairly difficult to even find a position. I've heard paramedic isn't much better (not that I'm trying to discourage you at all! I love my job) I did all my training through the army and then got reciprocity from the state, so I'm not completely familiar with civilian training. Right now I'm working as a nursing assistant though. (There was only one position at the local EMT station and I wasn't quite as experienced as other applicants aka some of my training doesn't have formal certificates and I got kicked off my last deployment due to a back injury = major experience lost) M best friend (who was also my section sgt) works as an EMT, is going to nursing school, works as a nursing assistant, AND does volunteer fire fighting. She loves all her jobs (but I have no idea how she does it all!) I endearingly call her my crazy sister lol.

My fiance and I met while we were both in the army national guard. Luckily his only deployment has been for border patrol. He's out now, I sure wish I could get him to help me out more lol. I figured it's a guy thing and we're both working on it, but I still find that if I want the house cleaned I have to do it myself. (I'm a bit of a clean freak--I can't relax if the house is a mess) I'm working on that too.

That's awesome, what you're husbands doing. I remember the early mornings in training...by the time we were done I just wanted to crash lol. The body can get used to almost anything, but my brain at least needs a lot of sleep to function at a learning capacity. Even then it's questionable (I just did horrible on my biochemistry exam...) Cav scouts not an easy job by what I've been told by some of my friends out in Nevada. My brother used to be infantry...I remember his exhaustion, eating habits...and his lack of showering...and driving the six hours to base and back before and after his deployments. He's the reason I joined in the first place.

And now I've successfully forgotten what I was talking about lol. And since my dog keeps putting her nose on the keyboard I think it's walk time for her
Old 10-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #7  
Army Medic

My brothers eating habits caught up to him...but he was also having other issues (PTSD)...his last deployment to Afghanistan really got to him. He only told me and our one friend Bill about any of it and we are still the only two who can handle him when he drinks too much (it's very rare and far between now) as one of my friends from college found out the hard way when she tried dating him (a bad night for which I actually got angry and told them both they're stupid...I don't get angry so I took them both off guard). Anyways, he packed on weight and grew his hair out. We made fun of him so bad cause he looked like a mountain man. I'll have to find the picture I took of him...He was standing next the my dad and the only way to tell them apart was that my dad's only slightly taller than me and my brother's about 6' something. He's since calmed down and lost the weight again, so he's back to his muscular build and weight. (He works construction)

And yeah, EMT's really don't get paid what they deserve for what they deal with. As far as hours, it depends somewhat on where you work. The floor I'm working on right now is really good at working around people's lives. It's also a catholic hospital and says that your priorities should be God, Family, then work. Another position to look at the an ER tech if you enjoy the fast pace. The pay where I work is about the same for CNA and ER tech, and if it wasn't for the fact that the only ER tech positions open were full time I would have gone for them. And as hard as it is to not be self sufficient after learning to be that way and doing it for years, sometimes you do have to ask for help Going to nursing school (esp. when it comes to clinicals) is tough. I know my mom did it with me and my brother, and really I don't know how. My dad worked three jobs and she worked full time as a CNA at a nursing home. I really admire her for it.

Army marriages are the best and the worst. I should say military marriages. Some branches are a little more family friendly, but it's always hard. I don't know how your courtship was, but with most of my friends (and with me) it was fast. We meet, we hung out as friends for a while, starting dating and six months in we're engaged. We're making the attempt to slow it down with a long engagement, and we're also both military, so we understand the lifestyle. One of the medics I work with has been divorced twice already and is only 27. One ex is here in PA, the other is in Korea now, and her current boy is in Kenya for deployment. My brother and his friend were deployed when their gf's sent them dear john letters. My brothers went back to her ex (my brother had ordered the ring and planned on proposing on leave) and his friends sent him pictures of her new girlfriend. you hear a lot of the same story: husband (or wife) gets home, deployment money is gone and the stateside spouse is gone. Part of it is the "get married before the deployment for the extra money" and the romance of being married to a soldier. But the rest? no idea. I'm a little old fashioned I guess in that once you're married that's it. You work out your problems. The only exceptions in my mind is in response to abuse.

Of course at the same time, with as much cheating that goes on during deployment... It's not so bad when it's all male units, but you have males and females on the same base...I've heard stories and seen the results. Laundry rooms get used for more than laundry.

I'm really wishing I had a pillow right now...my dog is passed out on the floor snoring loud enough to shake the chair I'm in.

Anyways, when a military couple does survive the deployments, the long hours, the increased stress, it's just amazing. I really wish the best for you and your husband I admire you for what you're doing. I'll definitely keep you both in my thoughts and prayers
Old 10-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #8  
Army Medic

My brother was the same way, he used to despise "fobbits" and wanted to ALWAYS be outside the wire. He also used to torment me so bad for being a medic (since I'm female I'm much more likely to be a fobbit myself.)

Working as a civilian for the army is actually a lot nicer than being in the army. Better pay, better hours, better treatment in general. As long as you do your job. Some civilians get a superiority complex or something at which point they really aren't liked. I'm acutally looking at (once I finish school) getting a job within the VA or at a military hospital as a civilian. I really haven't decided what I want to do...I have to lose the weight and pass my pt test if I want to reenlist next year.

I tried to find that pic of my brother but it must not be on this computer...but here's a pic of us out at hunting camp. Picture him with a beer belly, thick beard and hair hanging out under the hat and you got him during his mountain man phase lol.

Last edited by stucky1987; 10-21-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #9  
Army Medic

Female medics will go out on missions, but males will go first, we're like a last ditch option. My "little sis" from my unit got attached to a cav unit while deployed, she was one of two females with the unit, so she went out on a fair number of missions.

I haven't gotten much into hunting. It takes time and money that I don't have right now. I went out with my dad a few times, just to help lug gear and drag deer pretty much. I plan on getting back into it, but probably not till after school is over.

In this pic I was 20 lbs lighter than I am now. I'm lucky in that I hold weight well (most people still don't think I'm almost 200 pounds) but it's a curse in that I don't really realize that I'm gaining when I am. In fact the steriod weight was the only weight I felt myself gain, the first fifteen was my freshman (and sophomore) 15. It's also why I'm not sure where I want my goal weight to be.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #10  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

I kind of have this problem... trying to figure out how i can get exercise in my schedule, and eating worked out. I work 10pm to 6am, plus im a mom during the day. its hard! i eat throughout the day, and night! and im soo tired during the day!
mateosmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote