Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 242.6/236/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Interview advice?

Hey guys,

So I was doing really well the past week or two working on c25k and south beach. Then I got a call asking for a second interview and things went downhill. Yesterday involved a True Blood finale party complete with chips, dips, cookies, etc.

Tomorrow is the interview and I'm making myself sick over it. I haven't even told many people in the real world I have it. It would be an absolutely amazing job and even better is that I know I have the experience and would rock at it. But, how do I convince the interviewer to give me the chance? I went out yesterday and bought (for way too much) a new outfit that makes me feel a little more professional. And I've been mentally going over my resume and possible interview questions nonstop.

My question(s) for you all is what can I do to calm down? Do you know any confidence tricks or have any advice? I'm trying not to get myself too excited about it, but maybe I should think more positively?

I really appreciate any help.
criseyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:09 AM   #2  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Exercise helps me a lot. Before an interview I make sure that I eat a good, healthy breakfast - no grease - have some coffee, but not too much, and just breathe deeply. I'm always so early to interviews because I'm terrified that I'm going to be late, so I usually spend some time in a parking lot reviewing my resume or the relevant info or just reading a book and listening to calming music.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #3  
The Last 10lbs!

Good luck criseyde! I am in the same boat - I have an important interview for a position I really want on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to seeing what tips people have to share.
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #4  
improving life!

I usually try to convince myself that I'm great for the job. I tell myself over and over again how well I would do at it and how much they would be happy they hired me, that I just need to do well enough in the interview to get through the door. Try to see the interview as something small before the real challange. I still get nervous but it makes me feel better at least!
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #5  

Height: 5'11"

Remember that the interview is also for you to evaluate whether or not you would like to work for them! I find that it helps me to keep that in mind. It makes me feel like it's a little less of me being judged, and more of a reciprocal conversation....we are both trying to see if we are a good fit for the office, and vice-versa.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #6  
Rather be riding!

S/C/G: 81.5/75.1/60 since 18Feb2015

Height: 157 cm

Have a friend interview you beforehand. Google interview questions - there are TONS of examples online. Knowing the kind of questions you'll hear and **practicing answering them** will make it 100x easier when you are doing the interview for real.

If you don't want someone to interview you, then interview yourself and write down answers to the example questions. If you start thinking about them now you won't get caught off guard.

Also, stay away from caffeine and exercise at least a few hours before you go. You're going to do great. Good luck
LuckyDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 221.8/203.8/150

Height: 5'6

Hi,

In my job, I do A LOT of interviewing candidates for various positions. I have a few tips for you!

1. Be Confident - Know that you own it- but there can be a point where you can be overly confident and that can be misconstrued as arrogance. Make them understand that you realize learning new skills or task may be a challenge, but you are up to it!
2. NEVER speak poorly of a previous coworker, or employer.
3. Do your research and have a list of 3-5 good questions to ask the interviewer. This is very important!
4. Do not talk about compensation in the interview unless asked.
5. Smile - A LOT!
6. Practice answering questions in front of the mirror. Look at your facial expressions, and body language. Seems silly, but it works.
7. Send a follow-up letter or email within 24 hours of the first interview.

Just my 2 sense.

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!!

Branny
bran0917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #8  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I agree very much with windchime that it’s important to remember that the interviewing will be going both ways. Think of it like a date…you aren’t just there to see if the other person likes you, you have to like them as well! This is empowering in a way. I had a couple of interviews last week and I kept referring to them as “meetings”…we’re getting together to see if this would be a good match!

I’ve always said I wished I could have a job where all I do is interview for other jobs lol. I’m really good in interviews. One tip: don’t talk too much. One sneaky interview tactic that employers use is to ask you a question, let you answer and then once you stop talking, stare at you as if they are waiting for you to keep going. Don’t. When you have answered the question, you’re done. They do this because the things we say when we are nervous or trying to fill time can be very revealing, more so than a more rehearsed or short answer.

Be confidence, be friendly, be warm. Don’t let yourself get anxious. Remember all of the good qualities you have and GOOD LUCK!!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 234.3 / 232.6 / 130

Height: 5'3"

The key for me and any stressful situation is diaphragmatic breathing. This is how it was explained to me by a trusted grad psych professor: When you're anxious, you breathe through your chest (the top third of your lungs). There are less capillaries there to absorb the oxygen, so in the attempt to get more precious oxygen you start to breathe faster to get the air moving. Somewhere in the process, the pH level of your blood gets off kilter due to all the carbon dioxide you are getting and all the oxygen you're not. So this translates in your brain as "I'm dying," you panic, and you hyperventilate even more which just exacerbates the problem.

Instead, if you engage your diaphragm when you breathe, and make sure you're breathing into the lower, fuller part of your lungs (put a hand on your chest and a hand on your stomach--only the hand on your stomach should move), you get the oxygen you needed in the first place, and you stop that panic/hyperventilation cycle in its tracks. And you just feel better for it. When I'm nervous, I use deep breathing, and while I'm working on that, I use the time I'm breathing to either work on some positive self talk, or just thinking peaceful thoughts.
brooksrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Started at 380lbs.

Height: 6'4"

Just own it. Go in confident. I find that interviews are a lot like asking a woman out (from my male point of view.) Just be yourself, quick witted, and confident. Don't act so confident that it comes across like you don't need it, but likewise, don't put forward an image of desperation. It may be the English way, but doesn't seem to work in real life
ewimsatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #11  

You guys have the best advice. I really appreciate it.

Heading out in a few minutes, hopefully I'll have good news to share later!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #12  
The Last 10lbs!

How did it go criseyde? Hope it went well!

I had my interview today and am crossing everything that I get the job! I think the interview was pretty good and they only interviewed 4 people for the post (out of SIXTY applications so that was a good ego boost too!) so my chances are 25% at least!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #13  

Update:

So, after a week of waiting and near-panic attacks, they called! I was offered the job as long as my history/background check goes through okay. Ack! I've never had so much as a speeding ticket before, so everything should be fine and the job should be mine. I'm bouncing between complete and utter joy and total panic that some stupid little thing is going to go wrong (what that may be, I haven't the slightest). It's just too perfect. 2-5 more days of waiting for everything to be official!

Thanks again everyone for the advice!

freedomreins - have you heard anything back?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #14  
The Last 10lbs!

Congrats criseyde! That's great news - I'm sure it will work out

Yeah, unfortunately I didn't get the job. Someone else had more experience and that's tough to fight against I guess. I'm having a very difficult time of things attempting to find work over here in the UK but I'm going to just keep trying I guess. That's all I can do really! I have another interview for a different position in which I have more relevant experience on the 7th so fingers crossed for that one.

Best of luck with your new position!