Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/241/140

Height: 5'3

Default Any suggestions??

So I guess I never realized it but I am a person that craves chocolate when I am sad! My uncle just died yesterday and my best friend told me she is leaving the place we work together. I am just really down and it is really really making me crave chocolate! Plus I am heading home for a bit for the funeral and stuff and I know I will just eat total crap and sit around and not excersise. I know it sounds awful but I have just really been focusing on myself and my health for the last couple of months so its kinda scary to leave my weightloss cacoon so to speak! The saddest part is that food doesnt even make me happy like it used to. I think its just a habit i have had for so long you know?

So anyways....any suggestions? How do all of you deal with things like this?
bright83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

That's a lot going on! I'm sorry about your uncle

Sometimes when the big stuff happens you just have to do the best you can. There really isn't much more to it than that. I was with my father in the hospital all last week while he received chemo and radiation and every morning I adhered to my routine: I would drop him off at radiation (I couldn't go in) and then hustle over to Starbucks for my vanilla latte and then hustle back to go to the chemo doc. I don't treat myself to Starbucks every day, but it was just something I needed to do for myself. Did I need to get a venti frapp with whip? No, but I looked forward to the "treat".

Sorry to go off on the tangent, but you've got a lot going on right now. I mean, you're going to a funeral today! Manage what you can and pick up where you left off when things get back to normal. In my experience, it's forcing myself back into the "routine" that helps things calm down.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 156/137/120

Height: 5'4"

I am also sorry for your loss. We are always going to have deaths in our lives and loss of friends, and jobs. The big issue is how are we going to address them, are we going to fall back on unhealthy habits that make us feel worse or try to strive for the ones that help you get over the hurdle. Fill your car with veggies, fruits, anything but the chocolate. When you're so full of the good things it is going to make it harder to eat the chocolate. I am not saying that it won't happen but the volume will be far loss is not at all. Our mind interrupts loss as the feeling of hunger, so fill your self up and good luck.
dorothy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #4  
Exercise the Mind

S/C/G: 196/175.7/148

Height: 5'8.5"

I know what you mean about the cocoon; I was dreading going home to visit the parents for August because I knew the house would be My Worst Nightmare, in terms of food--sure enough, chocolate-and-caramel-coated popcorn, potato chips, cookies, ice cream, everywhere, quickly replaced whenever it was depleted.

My big suggestion is that you make yourself publicly accountable; tell your family you're not going to eat [whatever food is there that's bad for you] so that you can't do it, at least not in front of anyone. Be open about your goals and your plan. That helped me a lot (I lost five pounds last month, even with being home).

And find ways to exercise at home/get out of the house: long walks, jogging in the neighborhood, a daily pass at the YMCA, whatever. I spent a *lot* of time out with my parents' dog.

The last thing that helped me say no (most of the time!) to the bad stuff was having my own *less bad* stuff--I would go to the store and buy one or two of those tiny little squares of chocolate at WF or whatever, take the 130 calorie hit--instead of digging into the cookies at the house and having it be 3 times that or worse. But I only ever bought 130 calories' worth at a time (if I buy a whole, 700-calorie chocolate bar, I'm still pretty likely to give in and eat it during a day).

Knowing that you can live *your* life, even when the bad things are happening--that the bad things don't become excuses for you to revert to your secret "real" diet--that's crazy powerful. Good luck!
rschroed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #5  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I'm sorry

Have the chocolate...similar to what Junebug said - do what you have to do. Don't go out and get a king size hershey bar, but have a square or two of dark chocolate.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

First off, I'm sorry about your uncle. I agree with dorothy, surround yourself with the good stuff. It tastes good and it will fill you up, hopefully until you don't want chocolate. Find something else small and sweet (grapes, sliced/chopped fruit); maybe you just want that sweet nibble.

Can I just suggest, if you find yourself at the point where you're going to have it no matter what, buy a dark chocolate; not like Hershey's special dark, something really dark, like 70+%. Maybe it's just me, but I personally can't eat it like I can milk chocolate or anything, very little does me just fine. Dark chocolate is one of my treats and the bar I get, it's only 120 cals for 6 squares; because the taste is so strong, I couldn't eat more than that anyway.
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #7  
The Last 10lbs!

Sorry for your loss

I agree with the others, I eat FAR less dark chocolate than regular chocolate. Usually all I can manage is two squares and then I'm just like blech, too rich, and put it away.

Another thing you could do is drink hot chocolate, especially low calorie ones. It will keep your hands busy and warm around the mug and if you make it hot and sip it slowly, it should help tackle the craving. That's what I do - a mug that takes me 20 minutes to drink for 37 calories is far better than the amount of chocolate I could eat in that time!
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/185/153

Height: 5'6.5"

I agree to have some chocolate, and find ways to actually deal with your emotions. Write in a journal, write a letter to your grandfather, and talk to a friend about what you are going through.

And no matter what, know that you will get through this and these feelings will pass.
Risssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomreins View Post
Another thing you could do is drink hot chocolate, especially low calorie ones. It will keep your hands busy and warm around the mug and if you make it hot and sip it slowly, it should help tackle the craving. That's what I do - a mug that takes me 20 minutes to drink for 37 calories is far better than the amount of chocolate I could eat in that time!
Great suggestion! I may actually make this my new plan for when I need an indulgence!
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #10  
Don't ever give up!

S/C/G: 307/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright83 View Post
So I guess I never realized it but I am a person that craves chocolate when I am sad! My uncle just died yesterday and my best friend told me she is leaving the place we work together. I am just really down and it is really really making me crave chocolate! Plus I am heading home for a bit for the funeral and stuff and I know I will just eat total crap and sit around and not excersise. I know it sounds awful but I have just really been focusing on myself and my health for the last couple of months so its kinda scary to leave my weightloss cacoon so to speak! The saddest part is that food doesnt even make me happy like it used to. I think its just a habit i have had for so long you know?

So anyways....any suggestions? How do all of you deal with things like this?
Sorry for your loss

If the urge to eat chocolate is too much handle...

Google "fat free chocolate recipes" and just surf around. There are TONS of foods you can make from cakes to cookies to mousse and they are FAT FREE. (This doesn't mean go overboard lol but at least if you do have to eat chocolate, its fat free!)
lusciousskittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/197/140

So sorry about your loss... What about if you get some fat-free chocolate pudding cups? I say to just try your best, avoid REALLY bad stuff and jump back in to your routine when you are feeling back to speed.
Kaitlyn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 156/137/120

You all are very creative. See we can be good to ourselves. I love the hot chocolate idea. During this time of year when it starts to get cold I use my HMR shake as a hot chocolate. Taste great and it fills me. Hope all is well for everyone and you have a great weekend.
dorothy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/211/150

Height: 5'3"

I've been doing a double chocolate mocha sugarfree and with skim milk from Starbucks or Biggby's. It satisfies my desire for a chocolatey hot drink but way way WAY less calories and carbs.

I had to get use to it, because I use to do obnoxiously AWFUL drinks from both of those locations pre-health conscious lifestyle (like white chocolate lattes or sugary chocolate with mint).

But I've really come to appreciate the TRUE flavor of chocolate! I LOVE it now, I think I like it better now than the superficially sweet ones I use to drink.
boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #14  
Reducing

S/C/G: 161.4/143.0/130.0

Height: 5'3"

I'm sorry for you loss. I crave chocolate in the best of times, and try to have it some form every day. I usually go with a dessert since you can enjoy more of it. Some of my favorites are chocolate VitaMuffin Tops. I also like chocolate dipped biscotti, which are usually pretty low in calories, and if you dip them in a hot drink they last for a while. Also, the SmartOnes chocolate cake with chocolate sauce is pretty tasty, especially if you heat it up in the microwave, and the Skinny Cow chocolate brownie ice cream cup.

I know it's harder to be at home and not have complete control over what you're eating, but make sure that you have lots of good options around: Fruit, veggies, healthy snacks, even if it means making a trip to the store. And be open with your loved ones that you are trying to eat healthfully. It will make you more accountable and it's likely that they'll want to help you make good choices. And, don't be to hard on yourself. It's extenuating circumstances and the important thing is to be with your family, not obsessing over your diet, so give yourself some leeway. Just try to keep everything in moderation and you'll be fine.
Ms GenghisCohen is offline   Reply With Quote