Old 08-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #16  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
I agree. It's not that you have to force yourself to eat stuff you don't like, but your tastes can definitely change. Years ago, I would not hesitate to dive into a half gallon of ice cream. Now, I'm not really an ice cream person. I would choose a bowl of watermelon in a heartbeat. That doesn't mean I can't over-indulge on healthy foods too, but my preferences have changed. It just boils down to choices and turning those choices into long term habits.
Ditto!!!
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 170/163/145

Height: 5'8

Skittles, what are some other foods you DO like? I think there's usually a healthier alternative to most foods... that might be an easier approach than trying to force yourself to like foods that you hate.

For example, if you love french fries, you could try making baked french fries instead. I tried one recipe where you put strips of potato in a bag with egg whites and shake it, then put the strips on a pan with salt and a little olive oil and bake it. It's not quite as good as french fries, but it's still good- and much healthier!

If Skittles were one of your junk foods, maybe you'd like fruit leather? Target has the Archer Farms brand and I've also seen the Stretch Island brand at some Walmarts. Fruit leather is made of concentrated fruit puree instead of corn syrup like most candies. I used to be a junkie for fruity candy, but fruit leather took its place.

I second the person who suggested the microwaveable bags of veggies- veggies can be a pain to prepare when you're busy, but you can find packages with sauces and seasoning already in the bag. Cooked veggies are probably easier to get used to than raw ones if you're not a veggie person.

Good luck with your goals!

Last edited by Eire; 08-14-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 220/211/150

Height: 5'3"

you should look into fitday.com I LOVE that site. You can use it to set in your weight goals and dates, and then it will automatically calculate how many calories you can eat per day to get to that goal, and it keeps your calorie count pretty healthy by not allowing you to calculate in more than 2lbs a week in weight loss.

If you have time, you can even put your foods that you're eating into a free food diet program they have and it will give you a pie chart of what kind of food you're eating, like protein/fiber/fat etc. I did that for awhile last year, but I'm so busy this year I only use it to calculate my calorie intake.
boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #19  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

Skittles - I used to do slimfast, because it was easy and solid foods made me nauseous in the morning. My recommendation for a bigger nutritional punch and more options? Smoothies with protein powder. Lot more variety and cheaper! Walmart sells Jillian Michaels protein powder in both vanilla and chocolate. 100 calories a scoop and high protein/low sugar. You can do tons of different recipes, but my go to is:
1 scoop vanilla protien powder
1 cup (8oz) skim milk
1/2 packet Truvia sweetener
Frozen fruit - 3 strawberries, 3 blackberries, 1/4 cup blueberries, a few raspberries
4 ice cubes
Blend the heck out of it and serve.

It's like having a milkshake for breakfast. If you aren't big on fruit yet, which I've seen from your other posts, try it on its own with out the fruit first, it's like a vanilla milkshake, and they also have chocolate. Another favorite is peaches. You can add fresh fruit, but I find the frozen fruit easier, because it lasts longer and i don't have to worry about spoilage and I can buy it in bulk for cheap from Sams Club.

Just one other thing, I saw you mentioned going to your doctor for appetite suppressants. As far as that goes, i think to each her own and if you need it go for it! But first i would recommend getting a full blood workup, so that you know where you are starting. Blood chemistries are the greatest indicator of whether your diet is effective and balanced or not, and can tell you what's going on inside your body. Basic blood panel with cholesterol/triglycerides, HBA1C test (tests blood sugars for diabetes), thyroid panel (to make sure its functioning properly so that you are at optimum weight loss potential), and hormones, because these can affect your ability to lose weight as well. Just a thought....
There is a lot of good information and facts on the web and this website. You have to do what is best for your body.
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote