Old 07-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #61  
Moving and Losing

S/C/G: 330/285/180ish

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseFalls View Post
That sounds like a really nice place! What country are you from?
Haha thanks ladies, I live at the bottom of the world in New Zealand. My husband is American, I lived in the US for many years so I do understand the society, but NZers here, I guess we just have a laxed and lazy lifestyle lol, we kinda go on the impression that everyone is free to express themselves and be whatever you like, so long as your not hurting anyone else in the process
MissLeeLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #62  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I have 7 tattoos which are all in very visible places. I do not regret ANY of them. They all mean something to me and were important to me at that given time in my life. My first tattoo is of the comedy/tragedy masks but the masks' faces look like real faces (I often get asked who they are, haha). I had a rough childhood and since I was 12 I wanted them as a tattoo, not because I am a fan of drama - but because they signify to me both the happy and sad times in life. I got the tattoo when I was 15 - and I don't regret it one bit. It helped me cope with my depression. It helped me realize that no matter how bad a day could get, there was always something to smile about. My last tattoo is my favorite and he probably has the least meaning - I collect all kinds of owls and he was my favorite figurine of my collection so I got him tattooed. He reminds me of the amazing parts of my childhood. My next tattoo will be on my arm: It's an hourglass with tiny pocket watches as the sand and it will say "My life is measured by this glass, by the little sands that thorough pass".

I often get comments about how I am going to regret my tattoos. "What if you don't like them when you get older?". You only get to live once. These tattoos will grow with me. They are a part of me at a certain time during my life. I make sure they have some kind of meaning to me and I generally sit on the idea for about a year or more. I don't really get one on a whim.

Last edited by WormwoodDoll; 07-06-2010 at 02:56 PM.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #63  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLeeLee View Post
We kinda go on the impression that everyone is free to express themselves and be whatever you like, so long as your not hurting anyone else in the process
You're making me jealous and a little sad for America!
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #64  
Getting healthy!

Height: 5'7"

In case anyone was curious, I decided not to get a tattoo. I'm way too indecisive and I just know that after a while I'd end up regretting my decision. And I'd probably grow to resent it, because I'm just that dramatic of a person. :P

But, seeing that the symbol still means a lot to me, I'm going to see if I can get a bracelet or something with the design on it that I can carry around with me at all times.

Anyway, I'd like to note that I still like tattoos and I'm still keeping the idea in the back of my head for the rare occasion that I become less indecisive. But, getting within the next couple of years just doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.

I'd like to thank everyone who helped me out and gave their honest opinions on the matter. I'm considering starting a "show off your tattoos" thread somewhere, because I'm very interested to see everyone's tattoos that were mentioned here!
Paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #65  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Smart girl! I think getting tattoos is something you have to be totally sure of and totally in LOVE with the idea of. And until that's you, you are absolutely making the right decision.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #66  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha1534 View Post
Okay, I'll rephrase...I am not ASKED about my wrist tattoo any more than I'm asked about my ankle tattoos. I'm also 34 years old, not a 20-something year old. I've been at my job for 10 years and have attained rank during that time...I have a Bachelor of Arts in Legal Assistant Studies w/ a minor in Criminal Justice...and I am a Nationally Registered EMT (graduating EMT class w/ a 4.0 average, by the way). I think experience says a lot more about someone than their age.

All good and fine points, and good on you for achieving so much. But I still think people absolutely do judge based on appearance, tattoos included. And I absolutely do think that they can play a BIG role in whether you are hired or not for a job position. And no, not just a job for a nun, or a school teacher, or president - but even as far as a job in advertising, or accounting, or anything which requires you to look professional as deemed by your employer.

I have a friend with two wrist tattoos, one on each arm respectively. She's been turned down for a receptionist job at a high end hotel, working at a salon, and even working at a tourist gift shop - and when asked why, they were all because of her tattoos. They're not even that large, or disrespectful (one just says "Remember to Dream"). My point is, as rebellious as we want to be, and as great as it is to say "Eff society, accept me for me", that's not how society always works. And while some people have great luck scoring positions with extremely unconventional looks (the mohawked lawyer must have been an INSANELY hard worker) the vast majority of us individual little snowflakes do not. And that is definitely something that -I- at least take in to major consideration.

ETA: Especially with the economy being the way it is right now, why risk employment on a tattoo that sounded like a good idea at the time? I'm not trying to say it's the wrong choice for each individual, I'm just saying that it should require a heck of a lot more thought.

Last edited by GradPhase; 07-09-2010 at 11:59 PM.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:06 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 237/235/140

Height: 5'2''

I'm considering my tattoo as well. Except mine will be placed on my right shoulder blade and I'm getting a stargazer flower in memory of my mom. I don't have a problem on "if" b/c I know that this means a lot to me. I know it can be covered when needed and it wouldn't affect my work. Just do with what you think is right. I've got piercings and those are good to have since they are easy to remove than having to be lasered! I think with your first tattoo it should be placed somewhere where it can be covered when needed, that way you can get use to having it and also seeing if you like it. Good luck on your choice though!
Chels27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chels27 View Post
I'm considering my tattoo as well. Except mine will be placed on my right shoulder blade and I'm getting a stargazer flower in memory of my mom. I don't have a problem on "if" b/c I know that this means a lot to me. I know it can be covered when needed and it wouldn't affect my work. Just do with what you think is right. I've got piercings and those are good to have since they are easy to remove than having to be lasered! I think with your first tattoo it should be placed somewhere where it can be covered when needed, that way you can get use to having it and also seeing if you like it. Good luck on your choice though!
Yanno what's funny??? Our department has NO policy on visible tattoos except that they can't be offensive...but piercings are not allowed (aside from 1 pair of earrings for females, in their ears of course), not even if you insert a clear retainer while on duty. I had to let my eyebrow piercing grow over...luckily my other piercings aren't visible.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:02 AM   #69  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

Almost all my friends have tats. My BFF has five, including one on her wrist and one on her forearm. Before she had her baby, she worked for the VA and never had any complaints. I agree that tats should mean something to you, it just seems silly to just get a tattoo with no meaning.
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

I have a total of eight tattoo's at the moment, on both wrists, both sides, back of my neck, and up my forearm. I love each and every one of my tattoo's, I think they are beautiful and every last one of them has deep meaning and sentimental value to me. I think it's truly sad that people are judged by body art. Having ink doesn't make you less smart, qualified, polite, courteous, good at your job, etc. Tattoo acceptance in the workplace is definately on the rise. It's unfortunate that there is sometimes a stigma attached to having tattoo's as being seen as "bad news" or a trouble maker. I know my grandparents, who are very conservative, hold this view. Sad really, rock on ladies! Express yourself!
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote