Old 06-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Default Always confused about this..

Okkkk So they say bottom line for losing weight is burning more calores than consumed. So if you are getting in 1200-1500 calories a day of a mixutre of healthy foods and processed foods, can you still lose weight even though it isnt ALL really healthy? Or would it be better for WEIGHT LOSS if you consumed around 1800-2000 calories of healthy food? My main confusion is if whether or not it really matters what you are eating as long as you are consuming a little amount of calories. Would love your advice!!
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Well, there are some people that hold pretty strong to the notion that it doesn't matter what you're eating- that the bottom line is "calories in vs. calories out".

I think a lot of people have lost weight following that rule.

Me? I can't eat 1200 calories of pasta and lose weight. I just can't, and believe me, I've tried Unfortunately, I am carb sensitive and my body just goes haywire.

I can tell you that there's not much nutrition to be gained from just eating 1200 calories of processed food and you will feel more satisfied overall with a diverse diet, rich in nutrients. That may help with more long term goals. And you'll probably feel a lot better, too

So really, both are probably true to an extent. One works for some more than others.

ETA: just to add, it may not be realistic for a lot of people to eat NO processed foods. I think most diets contain some processed foods and I think it just comes down to balance.

Last edited by junebug41; 06-09-2010 at 03:39 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #3  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Calories in, calories out. 400 calories from a processed preservative-filled microwaveable meal vs 400 calories from salad is the same thing. 400 calories.

Don't get me wrong. Eating garbagey, high-fat, chemical-infested foods isn't going to improve the overall health of your body... but if weight loss is your primary goal... calories in, calories out is the general rule, and works for most people.

However:
Eating non-processed, fresh foods is more likely to result in your body getting the nutrients and fibres it needs to function. And these foods tend to be lower calorie for the amount of food than processed foods. (Ex., the amount of sugar in one chocolate bar is roughly equivalent to 6-7 apples. You'll likely feel full after a couple of apples, but you can chow down a chocolate bar quick-like, can'tcha?)

Last edited by Jelbb; 06-09-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Yes! That all makes sense. Its just a hard transition from all junk food to all health food. Ive been eating relatively healthy makng better choices but just tody I have had two of my snacks as the 100 calorie whole grain popcorn. Also, at lunch with my turkey sub I got baked barbecue chips. For dinner today I am having a lean cuisinse due to time. While this all fits in aroun 1300-1400 calories, I know they arent exactly healthy. This is why I asked.. Thank you for your responses!
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Most of my life I thought only calories mattered. That no matter who you were, or how old you were, or how many times you dieted before, you'd lose exactly the same amount of weight on 1200 calories of snickers bars as 1200 calories of asparagus and chicken breasts.

I was wrong. I proved it to myself by my food journals. On 1800 calories of high-carb food (even if the carbs are from healthy foods like whole grains and fruit), I lose very little weight. I also feel bloated and exhausted all of the time, and I have more flares of my health issues.

On 1800 calories of low-carb eating, I'm far less hungry, have more energy, and lose weight more rapidly. I also tend to retain less water.

While calories in, calories out may still be true - I think the calories out part of the equation is affected by the calories in. I think what you eat can affect the calories burned part of the equation. Your metabolism can be affected by what you're eating.

Now what does that mean for you? I don't know, because I think people are affected to different degrees. When I was younger, it didn't seem to matter as much what I ate. In my teens and twenties, if I ate 1800 calories, I lost weight pretty rapidly no matter what I was eating. Now, that's far less true. What I eat, definitely affects how much I lose.

I can only suggest that you keep a detailed food journal. Document everything (including how hungry you are, and how you feel more generally), and see if you notice a difference (realizing it probably takes a couple months of each eating style to notice patterns).

Last edited by kaplods; 06-09-2010 at 04:01 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #6  
Quintessential.

S/C/G: 190/186/115

Height: 5'1

I absolutely agree with everyone on this.

I think that when I put "empty" calories into my body, I'm more easily fatigued and I'm hungry more often [which means there's more chance for me to overeat]. It's definitely better to eat healthy food.

And just remember that being skinny is just a symbol of becoming healthy. :]
darlingbee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #7  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

If it's really a challenge for you to start out (or just really confusing), try eating the foods you normally would and just restricting your calories and portions. Once you have that down, you can start working in healthy substitutions. I know it's really overwhelming to change your eating plan drastically at first and I think the foundation of weight loss is calories in vs. calories out, but I don't think that's the only part of the equation and I think you'll find you a) feel fuller, b) have more energy, and c) can eat more if you choose high quality, natural foods and still lose weight. I don't believe in restricting any food groups, but I think different macronutrient ratios work for different people and eating an excess of sugary carbohydrates won't work for most (if any) people. I think if you try and have balanced meals - carbs, protein and fat at each one - and work on making healthy substitutions for foods you like you might feel the shift in your habits less overwhelming.

And yes, count calories. Eventually you might not have to but for now, count calories so you know how much of everything you're getting. When we're overweight our perception of the amount of food we "need" to feel full is really skewed.

Last edited by rockstar87; 06-09-2010 at 08:56 PM.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote