Old 06-21-2010, 02:14 AM   #1  
VKW

Default Jillian Michaels

Jillian really inspires me, has anyone seen her new show? I absolutely love it. It's on Tuesdays on NBC. I know she's tough, but she really inspires me. What does everyone else think?
VKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:05 AM   #2  
Find Joy in the Journey

S/C/G: ?/128lbs/107lbs

Height: 4,10

I want to see her new show, but I never seem to catch it on I love Jillian because she's a little tougher on people which motivates them more, like a drill sergeant! Lol. I know I could use a kick in the booty right now!

I'm curious about her new weight loss products.
eyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:46 AM   #3  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I dont respond well to "tough love" so i cant say that im a fan Each to their own i guess!
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #4  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
I dont respond well to "tough love" so i cant say that im a fan Each to their own i guess!
Agreed. I can understand why people are inspired by her, but I do not react well to people yelling at me, so I'm not on the "fan boat."

Whatever works for you, though
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 252/235.6/150

Height: 5'5

I just like watching Jillian Michaels because every time I see her she is climbing on some sort of gym equipment. I swear that woman was born part monkey.
ubercast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 181.6/179.6/140

Height: 5'5"

I think she's way too tough and pushes people way too far, but I love her and love the show - I find it to be great motivation.
KateMG83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #7  
Just Keep on Running

S/C/G: 178/142.6/120

Height: 5'6.5

Her show actually made me feel worse after watching it....so I dont watch it anymore. I think shes just kinda borderline abusive to the people shes trying to "help".
energie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #8  
SE Asia, baby

S/C/G: 232/141/132

Height: 5'5

I really like Jillian. Not going to lie, when I'm working out and am having trouble pushing myself, I have a mini JM in my head yelling at me. She says nice things to me when I reach a workout goal. (Wow, I sound like crazy person. Maybe that's why I like her? ) Also, yes, she pushes people hard, but I also think she can be really good at reading people as well. I like that she has that side of her too.
graciegoose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #9  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

LOVE Jillian! I had never seen the Biggest Loser or heard of her at all when I started doing her workouts on ExerciseTV. I can't say enough about how much I've learned from her (books, TV shows, DVD's)- everything from information about exercise, metabolism, hormones, to how to push myself, how to believe in myself. I brought her DVD's with me when I lived in Nairobi and I'd work out to them when I was stuck in the very small flat after dark. Sure, my Kenyan brother-in-law loved to make fun of my "silly mzungu (white person) stuffs" (there are many, but "Jeeeellian" as he says is definitely at the top of that list) but getting stronger and listening to her "motivation" on those DVD's really helped me believe in my ability to deal with some tough situations. Typing it it seems silly, but it's true!

I can definitely see how her approach would not work for everyone. However, I tend to see the yelling and screaming on TV as kind of an act. I mean, I'm sure it's very real to the people she's screaming at, but it seems a little put on. Does anyone else get that feeling? I think she really does have a good heart and genuinely believes in people's ability to succeed.
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I personally don't like her. I don't like the fact that she tries to give mental health advise. I can't imagine going to a trainer and being ok with him/her getting so personal and trying to find the "root of my problems" by giving some kind of psychological assessment of me. Do she have a psychology degree that we aren't aware of? However, I like the fact that she inspires other people. I'm glad that there are people that have lost weight because of something she did/said. Whatever it is, if it's helpful to people, I'm glad
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 203/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I agree with JKinBoston. It really bothers me that she digs around to get at the root of the problem and tries to save people through abuse. A lot of the people she's working with have been abused emotionally or physically in the past and yelling at them all the time is only perpetuating the kind of behavior she is trying to stop -- reacting purely out of fear and self-loathing. I would feel much better about her new show if she hooked the participants up with psychologists or professional organizers or whatever they need instead of trying to do it all herself. I really doubt it is effective.

Have you ever seen the show HOARDERS on A&E? It is about people who hoard (collect things, mostly trash) to the extreme. People come in for a week and clean their house and offer them limited mental health support. Then they leave. I watched the "Where are they now" show a few weeks ago and only one guy out of all of them had actually stopped hoarding.

These kinds of shows are just exploitative and they only deal with the symptom, not the actual problem. Most of the hoarders on the show are obese and it is because they have problems caring for themselves in all respects: cleaning their home, eating healthy, leaving their house, taking their children to school, etc. By taking away the stuff, they only treating a symptom of a larger problem. It is the same way with Jillian. I'm positive that in a year, those people will have gained back most of their weight. I'm sure they only keep up their diet and exercise regime for 6-8 weeks because they know that $50,000 hangs in the balance.
girlinwaterglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #12  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

I cannot agree with tuende anymore. I would have worded my post almost exactly the same (minus the Nairobi part)

Jillian is very inspirational to me. She is definitely not one size fits all... her style is not for everyone. I like Jillian's approach because she gets to the bottom of whatever is causing the problem. If you follow her closely, you'll know that she doesn't use the same approach for everyone. Yes, she does tend to yell a lot, but, WHAT and who she is yelling at/about differs. JMO
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #13  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

<-----I think it's pretty obvious that I love her! Like a lil, muscular, screaming spider monkey. I dig that she creates that rock bottom moment. Some of these ppl are so used to being coddled that they don't face the real problem. She drives a Mac truck thru the "I don't know what's wrong" facade and starts rebuilding.... It's not like she's actually a cold-hearted person; that's just how she knows to get the job done. So far, so good.

Whatever works. Some people need a soft spoken kinda person and others really need someone in there face. You can sweetly talk everyone into realizing what damage they're doing to themselves.

Ok...I'm leaving now
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/166.5/131

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMfan View Post
<-----I think it's pretty obvious that I love her! Like a lil, muscular, screaming spider monkey. I dig that she creates that rock bottom moment. Some of these ppl are so used to being coddled that they don't face the real problem. She drives a Mac truck thru the "I don't know what's wrong" facade and starts rebuilding.... It's not like she's actually a cold-hearted person; that's just how she knows to get the job done. So far, so good.

Whatever works. Some people need a soft spoken kinda person and others really need someone in there face. You can sweetly talk everyone into realizing what damage they're doing to themselves.

Ok...I'm leaving now
I completly agree and I <3 Jillian she changes peoples lives into positive healthy ones...the woman is a tough cookie but shes smart and she has a big heart and she opens it to everyone she works with...I'm a really sensitive person to, so for me to say that is saying Something I dont know why people are so upset by her training style...it works doesnt it?
mizmizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #15  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

To me it doesnt matter if it works or not, I find it disrespectful I had a trainer with a similar attitude and I had to fire them xD When im giving something everything i have, I dont appreciate someone who doesnt even know me telling me that I'm not working hard enough lol
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote