Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #1  
CAUTION: I'm on a Mission

S/C/G: 94kg/89kg/70kg

Height: 5.15 feet

Angry Just needed to vent a little

Argh! Don't you just hate it when people are so 'negative'... I don't even think I can call it negativity So someone offers you something, and you graciously decline saying that you're on a diet... And then you get that "half look-half smirk" Implying 'yeah right, like that's gonna work!'... So much for support!!
Nesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #2  
active-duty Navy

S/C/G: 173/xx/140

Height: 5'1"

I usually just decline with no reason. Just happened last week when my teacher offered me a piece of candy. I said no thank you and she made a weird face but i said I was sure, and she shrugged and walked away
allison6689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, I've learned not to make it about "diet." People react strangely when you start talking about making positive changes in your life. I either just decline and change the subject before they can ask why, or I say I just ate, or I say my stomach is feeling a little sensitive so I'm being careful of what I eat for the day. Works better that way.
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #4  

So no talk about diet? Got it
Old 05-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I vote for the grraciously decline answer. There really is no need to explain why you don't want that piece of candy or cake or pie or whatever. Notice what naturally thin people do, they never explain why they only eat a half a sandwich or two bites of pie , and others accept that is the way they are.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #6  

It's not like i'm telling complete strangers that i'm on a diet... not even colleagues! My own family, a cousin to be precise... I think family should be supportive in a way... but i could be wrong
Old 05-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 153/133/132

Height: 5.5

People or strange. I think a lot of people are negative about anything positive in someone else's life. Maybe it is just our human nature. Family members should be supportive, but honestly sometimes they are the worst!

I say shrug it off, be proud of yourself for resisting, and keep up the good work! It is tuff to say no and tuff to stay OP in the face of resistance! Good job girl!
greenfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #8  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluvion View Post
Yeah, I've learned not to make it about "diet." People react strangely when you start talking about making positive changes in your life. I either just decline and change the subject before they can ask why, or I say I just ate, or I say my stomach is feeling a little sensitive so I'm being careful of what I eat for the day. Works better that way.
This is what I do... then I don't explain more.
shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #9  
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

i took the diet word out of my dictionary. if people ask I just tell them I like to eat healthy clean foods and that sugary processed foods suck
caliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #10  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesa View Post
Argh! Don't you just hate it when people are so 'negative'... I don't even think I can call it negativity So someone offers you something, and you graciously decline saying that you're on a diet... And then you get that "half look-half smirk" Implying 'yeah right, like that's gonna work!'... So much for support!!
yeah I get this all the time. I live with my bf family and the support just isn't there. I tell them i want to go on a diet and eat better, but they continue to make really bad food, and if I want to make something healthier, they get offended that Im not eating their foods they cook.

Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #11  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesa View Post
It's not like i'm telling complete strangers that i'm on a diet... not even colleagues! My own family, a cousin to be precise... I think family should be supportive in a way... but i could be wrong
No, you're right! People, especially family members, should absolutely be supportive of you! I think the negativity is their problem- it's coming from their issues. Maybe you're making changes for the better they they haven't been able to make.

On a related note, I once declined a cookie from a complete stranger and her response was "No, it's a requirement, you have to eat one." Seriously. I think I gave her some kind of weird, confused, who-says-that? look, because she backed off.
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:08 AM   #12  
Happily Married

S/C/G: 194/177/145

I had lunch at my grandparents the other day they offered me seconds i said no i'm good i had plenty and thier reply was what are you on a diet or something. I just said no i'm full i had plenty geez
Skinnybride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/197/150

Height: 5'7

Funny story about family....

I went out to dinner with my fiancee and his grandmother; I ate a salad to start then had a few bites of potatoes and a chicken strip. I was completely full. She called his dad that night and told him everything I ate and said they need to be concerned about me. Sometimes family try to be supportive in their own ways that may not seem like support to others.

Anyways, I would agree with the other posters I just say no, thank you. If they push then I say I am full or just don't want it.
WVUFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #14  
science nerd

S/C/G: 302/ticker/151

Height: 5'8"

Oh, I understand! For me, it may be that I've failed on many diets and they figure I'm going to give on on my latest attempt at weight loss. My father always asks me weird questions when I change my eating habits. Like I decided to try eating more fiber in conjunction with counting calories, and he asked me why I decided to diet and if I had some big event coming up that I wanted to lose weight for. As if I really need a reason to lose weight other than just getting healthy! Then my mom is always telling me that the only diet that worked for her was weight watchers and that I should do it. It was good advice the first time she told me, but now it's just getting old!
shadowclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #15  
In it for the long haul.

S/C/G: 275/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

YES i hate it...now hopefully no one from my class is on here or anything, but I had an experience in my Japanese class. A girl brought in cupcakes for her birthday and she offered me one and I said no thanks (in Japanese lol)..and then added that "I am on a diet" because she seemed a little disappointed. Big mistake, pretty soon at least 2 or 3 of the other students are piping in with all the usual things..such as 'one cupcake won't hurt' or 'aw come on' etc. I did't eat one and i was proud of that but I should of just kept it to a simple 'no, thanks'.

edit: I also hate family that is not only negative but sabotages your efforts. I know that it is ultimately my decision to eat what is in the house but living at home sometimes my options are limited and being around it all the time doesn't help. I keep telling my mom that I want to eat better and stop drinking pop (i was for a long while but the habit is back) but she keeps buying it because my dad drinks it like it's vital to his life or something.

Last edited by Phoenix301; 05-21-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Phoenix301 is offline   Reply With Quote