Old 04-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/198/140

Height: 5'3

Default would love some advice on a first triatholon

Hi Everyone!

I just recently moved to the UK and in the 3 months I have been here gained about 15 pounds. Not pretty considering I was overweight and dieting before. Anyway I dont want to join a gym bc I am leaving in July and dont want to sign a contract. Because Running, Cycling are free and there is a community pool nearby I have decided to attempt a triatholon.

I have not exercised in a while (although I used to run and swim in highschool) and would love anyone's advice/tips etc on starting this venture.

Thanks!!!
bikinibound12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #2  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

I don't have a lot of advice to give, but I'm planning to do my first triathlon this summer too! One thing I'm hoping to do is to join a triathlon class that my local running store is putting on - it's expensive, but includes group workouts, training plans, coaching and the entry fee into the event. I really feel like I need someone who knows more about it than me to be there when I have questions

I'm also lucky to have a few colleagues who do much longer triathlons and have offered to give me advice about things like transitions. Is there anyone you know that's done it before that you could go to for help? I'm also trying to remember that it's okay to be slow - the goal for my first one is just to finish, even if it's much, much later than everyone else!
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 263/171.0/132

Height: 5'6

Oh, I need to be a part of this thread for advice too. I got the idea of doing a triathlon sometimes in my life. Hopefully the sprint, then the Olympic. The Iron Man kind of scares me at the moment but I'm sure it'll come with time.
Jess7286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #4  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I actually already relied to this post that you cross posted in another section but in case it helps anyone else here is what I posted:

I highly recommend Slow Fat Triathlete as well... it's the book that got my interest in Tri's going.

Probably would be good to follow a training plan though there are a bunch of them on BeginnerTriathlete.com for sprints.

Your goal is really doable in that time-frame although there is a small chance you might end up walking parts of the run. No shame in that you'll see a lot of that especially at events like Danskin and Trek that are women only races.

Good Luck!
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote