Old 02-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'2"

Default First Date

Ah, the dreaded first date. LOL. So I met this guy through an online dating site. We talked through text and on the phone for about a week, and decided to meet today (yes, Valentine's Day!). We went to eat some lunch and had a couple drinks. I think we had a pretty good time, we had good conversation and it didn't seem awkward at all. Yeah there were a couple awkward pauses, but that's to be expected.

Anyway, once during the date he jokingly said "i'm going to have to come up here next weekend and you can show me around and take me to get some drinks...you can be my sober cab." (he lives about an hour south) Then at the end of the date he gave me a quick hug and told me he would probably come up next weekend like on a Saturday (rather than a Sunday...**and NOTE - he said maybe). LOL, so I'm guessing that means he's interested? Or was he just being nice?? Guys are so confusing I don't even know what to make of them anymore. It's been a long time since I've been single so I guess you could say I'm a "newbie" to dating. He hasn't texted me or anything...but it's only been a couple hours since our date....so do you think he's interested? How long should I wait to see if he contacts me? And if not, should I contact him?? HELP!! LOL

Last edited by LaBonita; 02-14-2010 at 05:58 PM.
LaBonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242/242/120

Height: 5'3"

It's hard to judge the level of his interest on the basis of what you say. His "sober cab" comment isn't a good sign, I don't think--that's more of a "friend zone" thing to say (and ask for--I wouldn't expect my date to not drink if I was), but by itself, it's not a litmus test of his level of interest. I'd give it a day, maybe two, then if you haven't heard from him, send him a friendly, brief text. Just my 2 cents

But if you had fun--and it sounds like you did--then the date was a success. Congrats!
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #3  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I thought the "sober cab" was a weird comment. Like, he just plans to go out with you and get drunk? Kinda rude. As far as him being interested, I have no idea. I'm no help at all. I'd wait a few days, see if he calls. If not, maybe just send him a "hi" message.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

I'm surprised that people took that comment that way, cuz I didn't at all....maybe just because I kinda know it's his personality to be sarcastic and joke around a lot. But he did text me when he got home yesterday and we texted back and forth most of the night, so that's a good sign! I think it's probably a little too early to tell if he's interested in being more than just friends. I'll have to play the waiting game and be patient I guess. Like I said, not used to dating...LOL.
LaBonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 274/250/145

Height: 5'6"

That's so fun! I love the excitement when you first start "dating" someone. Enjoy it!
casey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #6  
Ducky25

S/C/G: 179/165/135

I agree about the 'sober cab' comment. To me, regardless of his personality, it sounds like a set up to be able to stay the night with you. Which is a little bold so early on. But if you like him and he seems great to you then good luck and have a GREAT time!
gasouza87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #7  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I’d say there’s not really anyway you could say for sure right now just based on the things he said and the behavior and all. He did make tentative plans with you, which is a good sign. If he was completely NOT interested, he probably wouldn’t have done that. But it’s really hard to tell so early on…lol, I know that doesn’t help much. But I honestly don’t think you can always read them or say, if they do this and this and this, they like me and if they don’t do those things, they don’t.

I met a guy in a similar way (online) a few weeks ago and while we were on our little date, I actually thought he hated me. He seemed VERY disinterested and when I went to the bathroom, I texted several friends telling them how NOT into me he was and half expected him to be gone when I came back out. I was very wrong! I’d tried to “read” him and had gotten it completely backward…he was very interested and now we’ve been on several dates and it’s going really well. (Lol, sorry that was a long example).

And I would definitely wait a couple days to contact him if you can stand it! I’m glad you had fun on your date and I hope it’s going somewhere fun…
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #8  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Okay...stealing this from the book...

He’s Just Not That Into You If:
He’s not asking you out
He’s not calling you
He’s not dating you
He’s not having sex with you
He’s having sex with someone else
He only wants to see you when he’s drunk
He doesn’t want to marry you
He’s breaking up with you
He’s disappeared on you
He’s married (or otherwise unavailable)
He’s a selfish jerk, bully or big freak

It's like the guy says in the movie. If he wants to be with you...he will call you. I would allow him 4 days. No call/text by then. Maybe shoot him a text that is simple, but says Hi. If you don't hear back from him. He isn't that into you.
I know it sounds harsh, but it is what it is. Men can be stupid.
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #9  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I love that book...
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #10  

Height: 4'11"

That book is AMAZING and totally helped me deal with some stupid male b.s. in my life!!!
ravensglen3 is offline   Reply With Quote