Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default Who else is skinny fat?

I have a decently active job, I work at a barn which means lots of lifting, carrying, and walking. I'm a student, and it's just a part time job, but I get about 12 hours of "exercise" from that. But really, that's all I do for exercise. My arms and legs are decently strong, but my whole body isn't very toned at all.

I have lost weight fairly steadily, but it's all been diet related. I had the same job before I changed my diet, so that wasn't a new addition to my lifestyle. So yes, I have shrunk from a tight 12/13 to a comfortable 8, and there's clearly a noticable difference in my appearance to other people (I get comments almost everyday, lol), I am still skinny fat. I have the same body shape, the same jiggles in the same places, and pretty much look the same...just a smaller version.

I have tried to work out. I have the Wii Fit, EA Active, Jillian's 30DS, I've tried running, I've tried going to the gym with friends, etc. For some reason, I just despise exercise, lol. And that's no excuse to not do it, I know I just need to kick my butt and just DO it. When I started all of this, I thought that eating healthier was the hardest part of getting healthy. For me, eating healthy was very easy once I got in the groove of it. But I still haven't gotten myself in gear to work out!

Is anybody else skinny fat and really need a kick in the pants to exercise?
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Ugh. Me. :raises hand:

I have been such a BUM the past few months. Ironically, my eating has been pretty good and I've been able to maintain... but I just feel like poo. I'm alright with my weight, but I don't feel healthy. Does that make sense?

This week I began an actual gym routine (instead of going once every 2 weeks and calling it good) and I FEEL better and I can't ignore that anymore.

But yeah, I relate. My name is Jen, and I'm skinny fat
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #3  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

I completely relate! I was in a bad car accident at the beginning of my journey, and am just now getting over the pain. Now it's just about finding the motivation. I need to quit making excuses about how it will make my neck ache,etc.. because I know I'll feel much better overall if I just DO IT!

My name is Kimberley, and I am skinny fat.

Help me?

Last edited by UrthWurm; 02-09-2010 at 11:54 AM.
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Eh, no. I'd have to say I'm just fat fat. ha ha! I know what you mean by being the same version of yourself but smaller, though. But it's better than bigger I guess!!

I need to get my workouts going too! I'm actually sore today because of yesterdays workout, so thats a good sign!

Good luck girls! Let's get skinny skinny!!

Last edited by kuhrisuh; 02-09-2010 at 12:23 PM.
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #5  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Um, hi My name is Fat Pants...and I'm a skinny fat.

Currently working on changing that, though! I've been on auto-pilot since the beginning of the year, exercising at MOST twice a week when I used to exercise 5 days/week. Hopefully weight training will get rid of my skinny-fatness.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #6  
Fighting to be Fit

We should totally turn this into a motivational thread! We could all support each other and try to get ourselves to stick to a workout plan! Then post our workout days on here. What do you think? Anyone up for it?
Old 02-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #7  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Hahaha, yes....And we shall call it: Skinny Fat Anonymous (SFA)
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

Hi, I'm skinny fat. I might have a pretty damn flat stomach now that I'm adhering to a decent diet and working out (not this week!) generally at least 3-4x a week. BUT, I want skinny legs and a FLAT like a | stomach...meaning that I gotta get on the skinny skinny boat, not the skinny fat wagon. I recently started upping my weights involvement, namely I can lift 115lbs with my hamstrings/butt! Soon I'll see it more, hopefully.
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #9  
Crazy runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrthWurm View Post
We should totally turn this into a motivational thread! We could all support each other and try to get ourselves to stick to a workout plan! Then post our workout days on here. What do you think? Anyone up for it?
I like that idea!

Today I'm running 3 miles and taking an Ultimate Conditioning class, a.k.a. torture class. It's a strength training/cardio class that totally kicks my butt and leaves me good and sore for a few days.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:46 AM   #10  
Fighting to be Fit

I found this thread a few minutes ago, and it made me seriously discouraged. I asked a question about those who have become "skinny fat" through lack of exercise, and if it's not too late to undo the damage. I really don't want to feel this way forever, lol.

Last edited by UrthWurm; 02-10-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #11  
Crazy runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrthWurm View Post
I found this thread a few minutes ago, and it made me seriously discouraged. I asked a question about those who have become "skinny fat" through lack of exercise, and if it's not too late to undo the damage. I really don't want to feel this way forever, lol.
Urth, don't get discouraged. I have been exercising from the beginning (running) and lost a lot of weight that way, but I still have a high body fat %. I truly believe it's because I did 100% cardio and did not incorporate weight lifting/strength training...which I am doing now. It's not too late! You can do SO much at home without gym equipment. In my athletic conditioning class, everything we do is with very basic equipment....a few dumbbells, a stability ball... last week all we used a 6 lb medicine ball but you could easily use one 5 lb dumbbell and WOW I have NEVER had such an intense workout in my life. Check out ExRx.net - there is a muscle and exercise directory that shows you how to do basically every exercise w/ dumbbells possible. Your body weight is your BEST exercise tool, IMO! Just doing squats, lunges, pushups, etc. will do amazing things to reduce body fat percentage.

I honestly feel I look 10 lbs heavier than I really weigh because of my body fat percentage. I have found that while cardio makes the scale go down, weight lifting makes the inches go away. While the scale may not move much with weight lifting (maybe 5 lbs or so), your clothes will get much looser and you'll feel better. I have a lot of body fat around my butt/hips/thighs/abdomen that I'm really concentrating on at the moment. It will be so nice when it's gone!

Last edited by Fat Pants; 02-10-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #12  
Fighting to be Fit

Fat Pants, thank you for the words of encouragement! It was really reassuring to hear that from you. Thank you for the website as well! I'll be referring to this quite regularly now I'm sure.

Instead of letting myself feel down after posting that, I actually kicked my rear into gear and decided to do something about it. I was going to do some strength training as well, but headed to the kitchen instead and prepared some meals for the following week or two. I'm exhausted now! I'll save the strength training for tomorrow. Here's what I did:

20 Minutes - Stretching
10 Minutes - Alternating wall/knee push ups
35 Minutes - Pilates for Weight Loss video
24 Minutes - Hip Hop Abs video

Last edited by UrthWurm; 02-10-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #13  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Alright, I'm in!

Don't fret, UrthWurm. You have figured out this weightloss thing to the tune of 70 lbs. You can get over this hurdle!

Ok, so I had a bit of a carb breakdown yesterday. One of our restaurants is testing a new baked pretzel item on the menu and of course yesterday was the tasting. I didn't go completely nuts (although tempting), but I really should've just said no. (but there was cheese involved)

I turned it around, though. I went home, had a light dinner (1 cup of homemade veggie chilli and some steamed spinach) and went to the gym. It sort of motivated me to get over a mental block I'm having. I did an extra 15 minutes of HIIT, did an abs workout with the medicine ball, and did another 20 minutes of cardio on the bosu ball. I think the extra carbs may have given me an extra boost.

It was just a reminder to myself that when you head south, all is not lost. Every day can be saved.

DH has a club volleyball game tonight, so my chance to go to the gym won't be until after 8:30. I hate this VB thing. It is smack dab in the middle of the week and completely throws a wrench into everything. DH has promised that the minute he gets home (we have 1 car) that we will leave for the gym.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #14  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

you really are describing myself lol.
A kick in my butt is exactly the thing I need right now.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #15  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

That toned look is so hard to get. I wouldn't call myself skinny fat (my bf% is roughly 22%) but I definitely still have plenty of jiggle.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote